Blue ESR meter - FA error code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue ESR meter - FA error code

I recently pulled apart an Apple PSU and was going to start checking capacitors when I performed a self-test with my Blue ESR meter.

Instead of the correct .8.8 result I got an FA error.

The manual seems to suggest that a FA error would normally be accompanied by the meter "behaving strangely" and lists possible causes for some problems, but as far as I can see, the meter is still working just fine - or at least zeroing works, the calibration resistors measure correctly, there is no garbled display, the meter turns on and off correctly and the low battery warning feature operates.

Therefore, I am not really sure where to start, considering the only apparent fault is the FA error itself.

Trust me to get the weirdest problem!
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Blue ESR meter - FA error code

>>Trust me to get the weirdest problem!<<

lol

I'm sure Bob Parker will see this, but if he does not, send him a PM asking him to respond.
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
      I recently pulled apart an Apple PSU and was going to start checking capacitors when I performed a self-test with my Blue ESR meter.

Instead of the correct .8.8 result I got an FA error.

The manual seems to suggest that a FA error would normally be accompanied by the meter "behaving strangely" and lists possible causes for some problems, but as far as I can see, the meter is still working just fine - or at least zeroing works, the calibration resistors measure correctly, there is no garbled display, the meter turns on and off correctly and the low battery warning feature operates.

Therefore, I am not really sure where to start, considering the only apparent fault is the FA error itself.

Trust me to get the weirdest problem!
      Did you follow all of these pre-self-test checks in the manual:

Before doing the self-test, it's very important to first set VR1 to the center of its adjustment range, short out R30, 100R and make sure that the meter's supply voltage is in the range of 6.2 - 6.8V.

?
      It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Parker View Post
        Did you follow all of these pre-self-test checks in the manual:

Before doing the self-test, it's very important to first set VR1 to the center of its adjustment range, short out R30, 100R and make sure that the meter's supply voltage is in the range of 6.2 - 6.8V.

?
        And just like that the "problem" is solved. On testing it now shows .8.8 as it should.

I remembered that it needed to be run from a lower voltage for testing, and checked this in the manual but somehow completely overlooked the detail about the resistors...

Thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully I will get it right the next time!
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

There were some changes made in the Blue meter to minimise damage if it was connected to a charged high voltage capacitor. The addition of R30 was one of them. Unfortunately it caused the 'FA' fault code to pop up in the self-test function.

I didn't change the firmware to get around it, because then there'd be confusion about which version suited the Dick Smith meters and which version was for the Blue meter.
          It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Ah, I didn't know that it had been changed like that.

I guess that makes sense with the addition of that resistor when you look at what the FA code is supposed to alert to.
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
            X