Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of this iron suitability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of this iron suitability?

I was thinking of buying a temperature controlled station as my current irons just don't have enough power for some of the boards with large ground planes.

I went and re-read "The recapping FAQ" (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485) to see what is best.

A 60-watt iron at 450°C is specified and my current one is a Scope MH25 which stands for 25 Watt and I'm not sure what the temperature but I think it's only around 360°C

Then I found this iron at Dick Smith: http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4b5539...uct/View/T2309 Which is 60-watt but runs over the recommendation at 470°C.

Would this be suitable or is it too hot? Is a proper temperature controlled station a better idea?
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: What do you think of this iron suitability?

40-60W soldering irons are good for re-capping purposes.

The ideal soldering temperature (and the temperature you should always solder at) is 350 degrees. For de-soldering, it can be useful to increase the temperature a bit to say 400 degrees.

470 degrees is on the high side unless the temperature is adjustable.

On the link it states:
    "This well built 60W soldering iron provides extra heat reserves for those larger jobs. With 240 Volt operation, 470°C operating temperature, long-life plated tip, lightweight handle and a mini soldering iron stand. Due to it's higher temperature and larger heat reserves, this iron should not be used for smaller components or PCBs."

The part in bold I completely agree with, 470 degrees is a bit too hot for PCB work. DSE along with Jaycar do stock some reasonable soldering stations. They do cost much more than that iron thou.

What is your budget?

Comment

Why does Willawake recommend 450°C on his tutorial? or is it meant to say 350°C?

There's only one soldering station DSE NZ sell which doesn't have a temperature readout. I wanted to get the T2250 but only DSE Australia sells it now.

Jaycar NZ sells cheapest what I think is a Chinese ripoff of a Hakko, with probably too fine a tip and I can't see replacements on their site.

Next one up is this: http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=TS1390 which looks interesting (But probably just more Chinese el-cheapo)

The only other option is a $360 Goot.

I'm just looking around and trying to work out what I actually need so I can get an idea of what the prices are. Not sure exactly what I want to spend, I guess $360 is on the high side but if it's worth it...
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

450oC is for removing caps
        350oC is for soldering new caps. can solder new caps at 450oC. i often do but be quick. i think 3 seconds at 350oC is actual manufacturer recommended.
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I am simply an amateur/hobbyist solderer and my soldering iron barely gets used. I have a soldering station that looks exactly like this one:
          http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView....T&SUBCATID=627

You are correct..it looks like a chinese ripoff of a Hakko unit. However the one I have also is (the brand is Lukey). The manufacturers link to the one I have is:
          http://www.lukey.cn/english/products...p?ProductID=18

They do have better models, however I got it on the local market for a really good price (I think AU$60). And for the amount of use it gets, it has worked a treat for several years now.

However I had to replace their pencil tip for a 1.6mm chisel tip which works much better for soldering through hole components. Jaycar should sell the tips, any tip with a hollow centre (for the ceramic heating element to fit inside) should work fine. I got mine from DSE at the time. At that time they also sold what looked like the same model soldering iron.

Comment

What do you think of the http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=TS1390 ?

I'd prefer to have a temperature readout than just setting the control knob and hoping that it's correct.
            -David VanHorn

Comment

omfg - what's your exchange-rate?
              i'v seen those for £60 uk

btw, they dont have an earthed iron - but they work well - a friend has one.
              it's a dual-display - it tells you the set-temp and the current temp so you can see if it's still heating up.

Comment

60 GBP = 135 NZD converted directly, And as you see the Jaycar one is $215. But every decent tool here is a ripoff (and even the cheap ones are too) Or at least, I can't find any shop selling them for a cheaper price.

I have recently found it's cheaper to buy some computer parts\electronics from Hong Kong off eBay, than buy them locally... eg: You can buy ONE ATMEGA16 from Jaycar here for $30, and EIGHT of them from eBay for half that, postage included!

I think SICOM sells Wellers for $450+ I'm sure this is also overpriced. The same shop also sells Aoyue SMD rework stations for $400, yet pretty much the same thing can be had on eBay, plus shipping, for about $160.

I was tempted to buy an Aoyue Iron from eBay, but they're probably rubbish quality.

I had not noticed that station was not earthed. I expect that would be a better feature to have than the temperature readout.

So, can anyone recommend a soldering station that has:
                *Earthed Iron
                *Temperature readout so I know what is actually going on
                *Not cheap rubbish that will break in 1 year
                *Hopefully not a ripoff (though this may only be possible if I buy from overseas )
                -David VanHorn

Comment

looking at your want's list - xytronic stuff.
                  me, i likre to make franken-tools

i use a chinese base - the model before the one you listed that was similar but used led displays, and a xytronics iron - i changed the socket on the base to fit the iron.

Comment

This is a rebranded Xytronic, looks good (though it says isolated, not grounded) http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st.../product/T2250

And it's even on special, but unfortunately it's in Australia...

Do you know of anywhere I can get Xytronics in New Zealand or if there's anywhere overseas that would ship them for cheap enough to be worth it?
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                    X