Antec Basiq 500W Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec Basiq 500W Pics?

Does anyone have any pics of the interior? Or links to a place that does? I am curious as to the caps it uses. Thanks!

Re: Antec Basiq 500W Pics?

I have also been very interested in this. Mainly because the Basiq series is quite cheap, however it is made by a fairly reputable brand. I would also be very interested on the quality of the Basiq series Antec power supplies!

Comment

I'd like to know about the build quality of these as well.

Comment

Hmmm... it is quite cheap, I'd definitely go for one over say a generic 'yum cha' PSU (with questionable wattage)
        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

who wants to buy one and take pics of the innards?

I would except I have a tight budget (college kid = not much mad money )

Comment

I got one in today thanks to the fry's deal that should be only $15 shipped(if the $35 rebate is honored). I thought I would run it for a week or two in a system to see if it dies(in case I need to send it in under warranty for replacement) and if it looks like it is going to be OK, I'll void the warranty and post pics(if I can borrow a camera that is).

Comment

I don't know whether I believe it, but aren't these Fortron-built? If so, they ought to be fine...
              You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
              Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

The Basiqs are definitely Fortrons. Here's a 700W Fortron FX-700GLN:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth...roundup_6.html

Notice how much it looks like this 500W Antec Basiq:

My 500W Antec Basiq had Capxon capacitors (good brand) in both the high voltage and low voltage sides:

Comment

Wow! Not bad at all, then. Guess that's one more on my good list. Thanks for the proof, Larry.
                  You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                  Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Hmm, 500w with that design?

Not that I'm saying it's a poor low-cost design (we sure need low cost PSU's that still are able to deliver clean current)

But I'm kinda sceptical about it delivering 500w without either going out of the ATX spec or just getting too hot (if it's efficiency isn't really really good that is, because those heatsinks on the primary side does not look too impressive surface area wise...)

A very good 300w PSU I am sure it is though, and I am BTW yet to actually see a computer that draws over 300w DC for that matter so :P
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

bluestorm 2 500-60gln

why the transformer on the basiq say STG not SPI?
                      Last edited by willawake; 07-12-2007, 02:42 PM.
                      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thank you larrymoencurly for the pics! It saves me from having to void my warranty.

Originally posted by Per Hansson

Not that I'm saying it's a poor low-cost design (we sure need low cost PSU's that still are able to deliver clean current)

But I'm kinda sceptical about it delivering 500w without either going out of the ATX spec or just getting too hot (if it's efficiency isn't really really good that is, because those heatsinks on the primary side does not look too impressive surface area wise...)

A very good 300w PSU I am sure it is though, and I am BTW yet to actually see a computer that draws over 300w DC for that matter so :P
                        Would it having active PFC have an impact on the power output with the heatsinks and other components that are used?

Originally posted by willawake

bluestorm 2 500-60gln

why the transformer on the basiq say STG not SPI?
                        I was wondering about that also.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                          That's what I thought, but some legitimate PSU review websites said that other Fortrons of similar design and similarly small heatsinks did OK. However I think they were 80%+ efficiency models, while this Basiq is rated for only 70% min., but those 80%+ models also use diodes on the outputs, not more efficient MOSFETS there.

What did Fortron do to those other models to give them higher efficiency?

Comment

Originally posted by Shroomie
                            I don't know whether I believe it, but aren't these Fortron-built? If so, they ought to be fine...

This psu is really good. rails at idle were 12.16 - 12.19 and stayed at 11.99 to 12.00 at full load pulling about 440 watts from the wall. I covered the psu to let it run very hot were it even ran up to 55c while my friend gamed the crap out of it. It never once crashed my system or blew a cap at the extremes. I've had it for 3 weeks and put it through some harcore testing and it is definately at thumbs up psu. The .pf rating I got at loads was consistently at .98 and sometimes hitting .99. It only drops down to .94 when your system is at idle and pulling ~200w.
                            Last edited by scwam; 07-24-2007, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Is scwam an Antec Rep?
                              Mann-Made Global Warming.
                              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

It is looking very similar to my AmacroX Free Earth AX500-60GLN (made by or at least designed by FSP too), except the o/p caps.
                                My o/p caps have had only 1000uF on any rail (two caps per rail in a phi configuration).
                                I replaced them with Panasonic FM 1500uF and 1200uF.
                                Replaced the 120mm fan by an AC 120AF ceramic bearing fan too. My system is running stable as a system could be and noise level is acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                                X