Solder it like a pig or leave it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solder it like a pig or leave it be?

I got this Eizo FlexScan S1910, nice display, with not working backlight.

I have tracked the problem to inverter board. There are two high-voltage SMD capacitors in parallel, one of them was bad. It states A683 which may be metalized polypropylene film cap, 68 nF/1000 V (got it from datasheet where was cap with this marking but in plastic radial casing).

Removed the bad one and dispaly works. The question now is, should I keep it with only one capacitor, or should I add second one? I can only get these radial MPF capacitors here (or I may actually find some in my stock desodlered somewhere) and solder in it there, but it won't look nice.
    Last edited by Behemot; 05-23-2013, 12:23 AM.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Solder it like a pig or leave it be?

I would add the second one. And who cares how it looks as long as it works

Comment

The thing is I am not really certain by those specs. It states A683 J5UV (probably date code).

ADD// there is 23 V AC when in use. It may very well be some ceramic cap with much higher capacity. Who the hell knows… I guess 100 V rating woudl be fine? It seems to be on primary side of the inverter transformers so there won't be any higher voltage.

ADD2// I've found some old radial foil cap, soldered it in here and the display haven't ceased to work So I guess I can call it another successfull repair;-) Will keep it running for couple of hours just to be sure…
      Last edited by Behemot; 05-23-2013, 12:44 AM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Right on! Great job

Comment

Working...
        X