Hanns G HG281D White Out on Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanns G HG281D White Out on Sides

Hey guys, first post. This seems to be the place to go for this sort of problem, I've searched this same model on the forums and came up with a few results. Just wondering what you guys think about my problem.

The monitor is a Hanns G 281D, it's a little over 3 years old. Last night it started giving me a problem . I'm getting very bright white bars that take up about 33% of the screen on the left and right sides. There's also a lot of ghosting now. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I've watched and read tutorials on this site for capacitor replacement and I'd feel comfortable doing that at least. Just wondering if you guys could tell me if you notice any problems from my images (other than them being crap).

I'm sorry for the terrible lighting, the flash would just reflect back and make visibility even worse. So I tried holding my floor lamp down next to it, hope it worked out well enough.

Sorry for the thumbnails, I'm in such a rush I didn't read the posting images sticky. If you remove the thumbnails, I'll repost properly.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ov3rton; 12-08-2011, 02:40 PM.

Re: Hanns G HG281D White Out on Sides

You posted the pictures the way most of us prefer. Unfortunately I have no idea what is going wrong.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

To me this either sounds like panel issues (panel itself or t-con), or the voltage regulators on the mainboard (which seem to run VERY hot judging by how the whole area (top left) is discolored)

still.. strange fault..

Comment

Mine started out like this too. I also need help with my Hanns-G HG281D HG281DPBUF100. At first my screen would cycle white and then I would unplug it and plug it back in. It would work again temporarily. Now it is only a white screen. Can you guys help me out?
        I was thinking of recapping the motherboard, but is that worth it? I have read all of the problems with this monitor on here and I ended up buying a new monitor, but I would really like to fix this if I can.
        Also, I figured since we had the same monitor to add to this one instead of starting my own thread. Thanks for any help. I greatly appreciate it in advance.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by g2diablo View Post
          Now it is only a white screen.
          1) Those are excellent photos and thank you for using manage attachments. A+

2) On what looks like a T-con board, check fuse F400 (SMD fuse with "N"). A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 ohms.

3) If the fuse is okay, carefully clean and reseat all your connections and retest.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Okay, thanks for the quick response. I tested F400 and it show .5 to .8 ohms.
            I have tried reseating the connectors several times because that is what I originally thought was wrong.

Comment

Capxon doesn't have the greatest reputation and this particular monitor does have problems with caps on the logic board as evidence from the other threads.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Do you think it is worth a shot to try and recap the board?

Ummm... I just messed something up. While trying to put everything back together, I plugged in the monitor and the PSU blew. Here is what it looks like now. I have no idea why this happened because I made sure nothing was shorted. Well, at least I thought I did.
                Attached Files

Comment

Do you think it is worth a shot to try and recap the board?
                  It is a personal decision. For me, I would try to save a 28 inch monitor. If it were 17 inch, I wouldnt' spend the money to recap.

I plugged in the monitor and the PSU blew.
                  Check your bridge rectifier for shorts. Measure pins 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, and 3-4. Any reading under 30 ohms suggests a short.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I was looking around and found a PSU and Logic Board. Should I just order these and see if it works? I can always return them if it doesn't fix it.

Comment

I'm having trouble identifying the bridge rectifier. Is this it? (On left)

I know that they usually look like the pic on the right, so I am confused.

And thank you all for the amazing feedback.
                      Attached Files

Comment

And thank you all for the amazing feedback.
                        See attached picture. It is circled in red.

I would much rather help someone who can provide clear pictures and communicate clearly vs "no video no audio help" threads. Those I generally ignore.
                        Attached Files
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I was looking around and found a PSU and Logic Board. Should I just order these and see if it works? I can always return them if it doesn't fix it.
                          It is up to you. Since I want to learn, I would take the troubleshoot and repair component route. If you don't want to learn or have time, you can order the boards IF you get your money back.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Looking at your power supply photo, the bridge rectifier appears to be the black rectangular device mounted on the left side of the large covered heatsink. It should have 4 leads marked with the symbols ~,~, + and -. Difficult to tell due to the angle of the photo. Where are replacement boards located? If in China, make sure you check the feedback rating, or make sure there's the PayPal protection plan if you're purchasing through Ebay.
                            Last edited by jetadm123; 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I enjoy the learning aspect and finding difficult challenges like this.

I checked the rectifier and there is a short between the bottom 2 leads. I don't understand how this could have happened since I powered it on earlier.

So, I need to order a new rectifier, right?

Also, I shall be ordering new caps to see if that works. About the PSU... Do I just order wire and re-solder the points that were fried?

Comment

I checked the rectifier and there is a short between the bottom 2 leads. I don't understand how this could have happened since I powered it on earlier.

So, I need to order a new rectifier, right?
                                Desolder and verify out of circuit that it is shorted. If yes, you need a replacement. If you have old junk ATX power supplies, you may be able to find a suitable replacement.

You may want to consider ordering 2 just in case.

Also, I shall be ordering new caps to see if that works. About the PSU... Do I just order wire and re-solder the points that were fried?
                                Clean it up with isopropyl alcohol first to get rid of any carbon tracks and then see what the real damage is.

Also check the fuse and traditional diodes by the rectifier. A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 ohms. Hopefully, it is only the rectifier that is damaged.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Are you recapping both the power and logic/main board? The power board can also have dry caps with high ESR.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    Are you recapping both the power and logic/main board? The power board can also have dry caps with high ESR.
                                    I was planning on buying caps for both boards. They sell kits from this site:
                                    http://lcdalternatives.auctivacommerce.com
                                    I will probably just order from digikey though.
                                    My soldering iron is not getting hot enough to do anything. I will have to buy another one too.

Comment

I will probably just order from digikey though.
                                      If you compare DIY on digikey vs "kits", you will find it cheaper via DIY by a signficant difference.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I just have one question. I saw the ordering guide on here for caps from Digikey and it explains a lot. I was just wondering about the measurements. Do I need to measure each cap with a ruler, or how do I find the correct size?

Comment

Working...
                                        X