Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanns G HG281D White Out on Sides

Originally posted by g2diablo View Post
    Do I need to measure each cap with a ruler, or how do I find the correct size?
    Measure each cap diameter with a millimeter ruler especially for the tight spots. For height, pay attention to the ones under the heatsinks.

If you don't have a millimeter ruler, print one at

http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/

edit: You don't want this.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1257960610
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-15-2011, 08:20 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I forgot to ask if there is a panel board on this lcd? It would run the entire length of the monitor at the top. It may have a fuse on it.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I figured out why it shorted. I grounded out the heatsink when I hooked it up. I had no idea that was used in the circuitry. Well, it looks like I just need to reconnect a small section on the PSU. It should be easy enough.
        I'm hoping that the new caps will fix the problem. I've never heard of an all white screen being caused by bad caps though. Isn't it usually a bad connection somewhere?

Comment

I've never heard of an all white screen being caused by bad caps though.
          I agree. The decision to recap is based on

a) feedback from other threads that the caps on the logic/main are problematic for other reasons

b) Capxon name

c) if this 28 inch monitor is fixed, then recapping the logic board seems like a good investment for this size of monitor

PS. Did you see post #22. I snuck it in before your post.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I grounded out the heatsink when I hooked it up.
            Yes, that heatsink is live. I generally use cardboard when flipping over boards for separation.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Do you think it is worth a shot to try and recap the board?

Ummm... I just messed something up. While trying to put everything back together, I plugged in the monitor and the PSU blew. Here is what it looks like now. I have no idea why this happened because I made sure nothing was shorted. Well, at least I thought I did.

The section I highlighted in yellow is completely charred!!! What happened there?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                I forgot to ask if there is a panel board on this lcd? It would run the entire length of the monitor at the top. It may have a fuse on it.
                I checked, but couldn't find anything. Here is the pic of the monitor's back.

Looks pretty basic chinese crap. Inverter, T Conn, and LED bottom left, with the control buttons. I have the newest model of this monitor taken apart too and it looks very similar.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 2dfx View Post

The section I highlighted in yellow is completely charred!!! What happened there?
                  I plugged it in when the heatsink was grounded. BOOM!

Comment

Yes, that heatsink is live. I generally use cardboard when flipping over boards for separation.
                    Yeah, I messed up. I used cardboard for all the other boards... I figured, oh it's the heatsink and they are usually grounded anyway. Stupid mistake.

Comment

After closer inspection of the PSU, it looks like only a small section is damaged. I was thinking of soldering a wire between the two points I drew in red. What do you think?
                      Attached Files

Comment

I checked, but couldn't find anything.
                        It could be underneath that metal shielding? Can you see any green PCB behind the metal shielding? Those 2 cables from the t-con plug into something?

Be careful when taking things apart as the ribbon cables are very fragile and may be bonded.

If you can't see anything, then I'm probably mistaken. I haven't personally physically worked on this monitor. I have just helped out others with it.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I was thinking of soldering a wire between the two points I drew in red. What do you think?
                          No idea if there was continuity there before or not so I can't say 100% if that is a good idea or not.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It could be underneath that metal shielding? Can you see any green PCB behind the metal shielding? Those 2 cables from the t-con plug into something?

Be careful when taking things apart as the ribbon cables are very fragile and may be bonded.

If you can't see anything, then I'm probably mistaken. I haven't personally physically worked on this monitor. I have just helped out others with it.
                            I took some more pictures after removing the LCD from the housing. It looks like they plug into green PCB's that go directly to the LCD. I can't see anything and I don't think they come out. I don't think these pictures are good enough to tell.
                            Attached Files

Comment

No idea if there was continuity there before or not so I can't say 100% if that is a good idea or not.
                              I drew in blue the path that it took, so I am assuming this should put it back to where it once was.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I drew in blue the path that it took, so I am assuming this should put it back to where it once was.
                                Your picture and blue line makes a compelling case for continuity. See if the multimeter agrees along each point.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

When I check it with the multimeter it has no continuity between the points. I checked at several locations and this looks like it might work. There might be a small run that will need soldering as well. Oh, nvm, it appears that all other runs are good.

Comment

This is actually pretty fun. I enjoy troubleshooting things. I just wish I knew what was causing the WSOD! I ended up buying the Hanns G HZ281, but I don't like it as much as this other one. I will probably RMA and get an LED. I was hoping to have two 28" monitors back to back with two PS3's.

Comment

Hmm, I'm starting to think maybe your t-con is bad wrt to the white screen. If it is, a recap obviously won't accomplish anything until t-con is fixed/replaced.

I would check U404 and U406 for shorts between pins 1-2, 1-3, and 2-3. If they are not shorted, measure the voltage across each leg once the bridge rectifier is replaced.

The only other user replaceable component would be D200. All the other stuff looks custom or proprietary.

If those are out of whack, that could explain the white screen, but again, t-con are somewhat new to me. I replaced one for a friend (on PlainBill's advice) and it worked. That is the extent of my t-con knowledge.
                                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-16-2011, 02:11 AM.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I just wanted to let you know that the monitor is up and working now. I have to thank retiredcaps for helping me. I am so thankful for all the tips and information provided.
                                        I ended up resoldering the power supply and ordered a new T-Conn board from China. It took a long time to get here, but it is worth it. This monitor has an amazing picture.
                                        I will post pictures of the monitor up and working later tonight when I get home. Thanks again retiredcaps. You're the man!

Comment

ordered a new T-Conn board from China. It took a long time to get here, but it is worth it.
                                          Bringing up an old thread but, ordering the T-Conn board did fix your screen being all white? When your screen was white, could you access the menu on the monitor?

Comment

Working...
                                          X