X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Update :

Everything went smooth , except two technical problems :

1 - The 4TB showed 1.6 TB in win 10 , so i had to run disk management , delete volume and convert MBR to GPT . Easily done , and now it shows 3.6 TB . Whom to blame ? .. The Martians of course ..

2 - Yep , rumors were true , and Nvidia , starting the 1070 gt and up had cut anything called analogue . No one single adapter x to VGA could show high resolutions and any screens went off , immediately when installing the Nvidia driver .
    A small 40 cm HDMI to HDMI Cable solved the problem ..

Whom to blame ? ..The Martians !! .. Yes ..

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      ^Yes they do have a BBU option... I used to run them, and I still have a couple 9500s-4LP's with BBUs somewhere (minus the batteries themselves, they were stolen to fix 9550's). Want them?

Note that if these were dell OEM ones, the header for the BBU is probably missing, but the correct SMD pin header can be purchased from digikey and soldered on (as is one of mine, no issues)
      These do have the BBU connector on it, I finally remembered to check. I'll take the BBU's or the controllers if you have no other use for them. Lab ratting one in a BP6 test system.....the pci2.2 compliance thing.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Bought this for $26.43. Jetway J-7BXAN, 256MB RAM, P3 450MHz.

Attached Files
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
          Update :

Everything went smooth , except two technical problems :

1 - The 4TB showed 1.6 TB in win 10 , so i had to run disk management , delete volume and convert MBR to GPT . Easily done , and now it shows 3.6 TB . Whom to blame ? .. The Martians of course ..
          MBR does not support more than 2.1TB
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            MBR does not support more than 2.1TB
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39133
            Who needs partition tables? Just format the disk with your FS of choice and send it..
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
              Bought this for $26.43. Jetway J-7BXAN, 256MB RAM, P3 450MHz.

Very nice!! Hardware of this era (Pentium classic through Pentium III) is my absolute favorite!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Gifted a little Dell i7 laptop. My first (accidental!) exposure to W10.

Yikes! What a pig! Is there some reason why folks would CHOOSE such an OS (besides lack of driver support for older/other OSs)?

Comment

^ thats what ive been wondering. And wholy shit is it fragile! You look at it the wrong way and it breaks.
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

My Dell Presision 4300's run Winbows 10 just fine with 0 driver issues and they are fully maxed out hardware wise.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                      My Dell Presision 4300's run Winbows 10 just fine with 0 driver issues and they are fully maxed out hardware wise.
                      today it works, tomorrow it could be different.
                      welcome to enforced updates!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        Yup.
                        Enjoy your KB4100347 update (and who knows what else is there to come).
                        Meanwhile, I'll continue to use my unsupported and "compromised" XP PCs. Maybe some of my Windows 7 rigs too, in the worst case.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPeTrHNX1U

Comment

The problem is that KB4100347 is a software workaround to a hardware problem, running on XP on a machine with the problem ... still has the problem.

Comment

^ At least it would be bootable..... My new P52 is a brick on 10 because of that update.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                Exactly. I want stability. I can LIVE with most bugs -- once I've found them and established workarounds.

I can't live with a system that morphs in ways that I can't control or even document -- at someone else's whims!

Imagine heading out to your vehicle in the morning -- only to discover the steering wheel has been replaced by a joystick, the seat faces BACKWARDS, you view the roadway through a MIRROR and the vehicle runs on ammonia (SOON to be available in your neighborhood!!)!

And, some bozo has a reason to justify all of these changes (though that may not be shared with you -- you should just trust to his better knowledge).

But, he won't guarantee that he hasn't BROKEN something (else) in the process. That's left as an exercise for the user (you!).

Meanwhile, the folks that you've made contractual commitments to aren't going to "adjust deadlines" or pay rates to accommodate the uncertainty injected into YOUR work tasks.

Yeah. Right. Where do I sign??!

All of the software that I run (OSs and apps) is older releases that have seen their "last updates". I.e., "this is as good as it gets". No need to worry that a new update NEXT week will change things in ways that you will have to discover (likely when you can least afford the distraction). Buy a license, put it on the shelf and wait for them to "finish" developing the product. THEN, install it.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  Yup.
                                  Enjoy your KB4100347 update (and who knows what else is there to come).
                                  Meanwhile, I'll continue to use my unsupported and "compromised" XP PCs. Maybe some of my Windows 7 rigs too, in the worst case.
                                  I've phased out most of my XP stuff....but Win7 and S2K12 stuff will be around a long time, long after they go EoL.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Got more free stuff:

ASRock 775i65G w/ Celeron 320 and 512MB RAM
                                    generic FX5500 128MB card (came free with the ASRock)
                                    C-Media CMI8738SX PCI sound card (also free with the ASRock, went into a C2D machine I have)
                                    Maxtor 83240D3 3.2GB - probably the OLDEST drive in this lot
                                    Western Digital WD800JB-00FMA0 - has some pretty old gems on it, should get around copying it some time
                                    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB - died during a MHDD test
                                    TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless-N router - quite a nice upgrade over the old Tenda W306R router I had.

That's about all. I might replace the Celeron 320 "housefire" (it's a Prescott) with a Celeron 420 which is Conroe based. I already bumped up the RAM with 2x 1GB sticks, and it's probably going to run XP. (although I have a HD3450 with which it could easily run Windows 7.)
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

That's about all. I might replace the Celeron 320 "housefire" (it's a Prescott) with a Celeron 420 which is Conroe based.
                                      Actually you can't. Early 775 boards didn't have a compatible VRM to run Core based chips (Netburst only). Yours is one of those:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G/

If it wasn't, Core 2 support would be noted. Generally (and ironically) Core 2 boards would run netburst chips, but not the other way around. You'd think with the reduced TDP it would work... but no.
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                        Actually you can't. Early 775 boards didn't have a compatible VRM to run Core based chips (Netburst only). Yours is one of those:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G/

If it wasn't, Core 2 support would be noted. Generally (and ironically) Core 2 boards would run netburst chips, but not the other way around. You'd think with the reduced TDP it would work... but no.
                                        Mine is a later revision - GA 2.03, which actually supports Conroe chips. It even notes on the board that FSB1066 is supported if you use a external GPU (and who in their right mind would run Intel's outdated Extreme Graphics on a MB that supports AGP?)

It's this one:
                                        https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G%20R2.0/
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Mine is a later revision - GA 2.03, which actually supports Conroe chips. It even notes on the board that FSB1066 is supported if you use a external GPU (and who in their right mind would run Intel's outdated Extreme Graphics on a MB that supports AGP?)

It's this one:
                                          https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G%20R2.0/
                                          Ah. Most boards of that era supported PCIe... these boards were made as "budget upgrade" boards to allow one to keep their GPU (I used to have one myself actually, it was an ECS if memory serves). Some oddball ones even supported both PCIe and AGP... but this is a rare bird either way. Nice find.
                                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                          X