Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

I received 3 VP6's this week that were completely trashed. I get emails and contacts all the time from customers who say "It would only crash once in a while", or "I didn't think the problem was that serious"... ARGGGG.... This VP6 is a prime reason why the minute you suspect or discover bad caps, replace them!! Don't wait!! Bad caps will not cure themselves!!

Sadly, this and the other 2 VP6's I received like it were destroyed. I didn't even bother to recap them , because the VRM FET's and the AGP power FET's were all shorted, and the torroid coil by the AGP was burnt beyond recognition. With damage like that, the voltage regulators are always fried, and many times the northbridge is also fried. In this particular VP6's case, it also BBQ'd 2GB of really nice Micron ECC PC133. You will note from the pictures the melted labels. This shouldn't have happened!! The only thing I pulled out of that board that was good was the CPU's, and I'm surprised they survived.

If you question your caps, take an expensive lesson from the owner of this board! REPLACE THEM ASAP!!!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Wow Top,
    Thats about enough to make a man cry there!!!! :roll:

Comment

break out the marshmellows baby........anyway, that is a perfect example for a class lawsuit. When you are dealing with fire hazards that is a major issue. Imagine a server cabinet burning down over the weekend from a bad PSU. It would not be pretty.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

You should add my ECS board with IED FET's...Pow Pow...

MD
        Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Re: This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

Something like this K7S6A? It's not my board - owner http://daso.wz.cz
          Attached Files

Comment

i have seen lots of those type vrm's melt down like that.
            and it always kills the cpu.
            esp. amd chips.

Comment

Similar...but the FETs did not desolder themselves
              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

The desoldered devices on which you can recognize the mfr's logo - possibly Shindengen - and most of the mfr's P/N, S?S2525L, are dual rectifiers. The devices that are "extra well done" are the MOSFETs. I'll bet the smell was delightful ...
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I've repaired some boards with this problem (some K7S5As and M805LRs) but they weren't as bad as this one. The MOSFETs were always bad, the rectifiers were always OK. Some of the base driving transistors were bad, some were OK - the older boards have two separate SMD driving transistors for each MOSFET, K7S6A has only two for all MOSFETs (at least they're in TO92 so can be replaced more easily). And of course bulged caps - always G-Luxon.

Comment

This situation is really serious. I guess I would see my lawyer if this happened to me (if it ever does!)
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I got that beat... I had a cap pop on a Soyo board, they claimed I samaged the board because there were componates missing (they f'ing BURNED OFF!!)
                      There is no fear, there is power.
                      There is no death, there is immortality.
                      There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.
                      I am the Heart of Darkness.
                      I know no fear, But rather I instill it in my enemies.
                      I am the destroyer of worlds.
                      I know the power of the Dark Side.
                      I am the fire of hate.
                      All the Universe bows before me.
                      I pledge myself to the Darkness.
                      For I have found true life, In the death of the light.

Comment

looks like you let all the smoke out of that one!
                        looks like you are leading in the who owns the worst burnup game!
                        and welcome!

Comment

Oh...my...

Yes, I think you win indeed! Welcome.
                          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

And this can happen with your graphics card when a PSU dies because of single one bad cap:

The card is, of course, completely fried (shorted GPU).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Man it's crazy the time bomb in your computer bad capacitors are.

I was reading article just now, some slightly bulging capacitors were removed and their values read they were rated 2200uF, but their real capacitance was as low as 78uF.

Also bad capacitors have high leakage current (as I understand this is something that should seriously be avoided). Which is one of the main causes workload on regulators which then short circuit and fuse circuit inside, which eventually causes unfiltered voltage direct from PSU into components, you don't need to imagine what happens when 1.7v chips get 5v instead.
                                Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

had a customer in the store with an emachines with the imfamous craptastic bestec psu that was reading 14v on +5stby.
                                  the mouse melted down and it and the mousepad was stuck to her table.
                                  burned up the southbridge on the mobo and trashed the cpu and ram.

Comment

Is the Bestec worth recapping? I have several in the bin... just curious.

Comment

yeahhhhhhhh, I would say those caps were white on top for a year or more before that happened. Sometimes when the caps are going they might even blow a fuse in the PSU , where it's soldered onto the board.

Once the fuse has been taken out of the PSU , the fixer puts in the wrong rated fuse , and about 2 days later , this happens. All in the name of ignoring and wanting to run the system no matter what.

Comment

It really depends on what will be run on old PSU's , 250watt PSU's were installed on PII systems and mobo's , so they aren't for PIII's or P4's at all. If it runs HOT , it's NOT !

Comment

Working...
                                        X