The 2019 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2019 Operating System Thread

What OS are you using as your primary/main OS?
    Windows 10
    0%
    Windows 8/8.1
    0%
    Windows 7
    0%
    Windows Vista
    0%
    Windows XP
    0%
    Windows 2000 or older MS OS
    0%
    Mac OS
    0%
    Some flavor of Linux/Unix (brag on your distro in a post)
    0%
    I dont use a PC anymore, I'm a phone zombie
    0%
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: The 2019 Operating System Thread

running linux mint cinnamon and manjaro gnome. Windows? Got about 22 of them on my house
    Last edited by CapLeaker; 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Operating System: PCLinuxOS 2018
      Qt Version: 5.11.3
      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.53.0
      Kernel Version: 4.19.13-pclos1
      OS Type: 64-bit
      Processors: 8 x Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
      Memory: 11.5 GiB of RAM

Comment

Not voting because I don't want to brag about my Linux, same as last year, same as for the past many years.

Comment

The operative word, in the question, being "mainstream" -- W7 for any "serious" work (CAD/EDA/DTP/MM authoring/etc.) with NetBSD for software development (though checked for portability using numerous W7 compilers)

Comment

running multiple Linux as always.
            what's new this year, no windows machine anymore.
            since some malware fucked it via a cia/m$ backdoor that bypassed the antivirus, i'm not inclined to touch it until i have absolutly no choice - fuck m$ and there intentional security holes.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              running multiple Linux as always.
              what's new this year, no windows machine anymore.
              since some malware fucked it via a cia/m$ backdoor that bypassed the antivirus, i'm not inclined to touch it until i have absolutly no choice - fuck m$ and there intentional security holes.
              <grin> And you think that with the source code for the OS available, there aren't any spooks smart enough to have already sorted out how to target your Linux distros? Avoid malware by keeping foreign actors (or their proxies) away from your machines, period.

Comment

OpenSuse, OpenBSD, Sailfish, and 9Front.

Not much of a *Nix brag, LOL.
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                  <grin> And you think that with the source code for the OS available, there aren't any spooks smart enough to have already sorted out how to target your Linux distros? Avoid malware by keeping foreign actors (or their proxies) away from your machines, period.
                  my personal opinion is the so-called "spooks" should all be turned into ghosts - they have turned against the people they where supposed to protect.

instead of following or arresting spy's from other country's, they are sharing data with them about us - fuck them.
                  let's not forget the supplying of kids to pedo's and satanists to create leverage.
                  they all need to be thrown in a burn-pit.
                  Last edited by stj; 01-01-2019, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Those who shrug off Windows 10 for collecting too much information should do the same to Android and iOS. However I don't see this happening, and people still carrying their personal tracking device with them that collects more than just your physical location...

Comment

I'm milking XP for as long as possible.
                      Then, maybe 7, but with an actual shell/file manager.

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                      Those who shrug off Windows 10 for collecting too much information should do the same to Android and iOS. However I don't see this happening, and people still carrying their personal tracking device with them that collects more than just your physical location...
                      "G" is worse than "M" at this point.
                      Those rustbooks and dumb devices have been made up to appear like an "easy escape" from M$- from the pot into the fire...

The "mindless androids" really got their push during the fallout and rejection of 8/10, better known as windows hate and windows stupid.

"I like my android, it's so much better than M$ ever was."
                      No, user, you ARE the android...
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                        I'm milking XP for as long as possible.
                        Then, maybe 7, but with an actual shell/file manager.
                        Nothing wrong with XP -- as long as it's behind a good EXTERNAL firewall as any security flaws are now permanently "baked in".

"G" is worse than "M" at this point.
                        Those rustbooks and dumb devices have been made up to appear like an "easy escape" from M$- from the pot into the fire...
                        The same is true of those "cheap appliances" that seam to have an incredible amount of processing power for their price tag (because they rely on remote servers to do all the heavy lifting -- meaning information has "left the building" before it can be acted upon).

I track "occupant" locations within the house/office via their BT headpieces. Stores do the same with the beacons broadcast from your BT devices and phones ("Free WiFi! Please use it so we know your radio is turned on and capable of being tracked as you wander through our store! We'll figure out who you are when you CHECK OUT -- inevitably paying with a credit card -- and retroactively annotate everything we observed about you before that!!")

Comment

Xubuntu 16.04 LTS here with some custom mods. Killed all the SpeedStep garbage.
                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Nothing wrong with XP -- as long as it's behind a good EXTERNAL firewall as any security flaws are now permanently "baked in".
                            The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

And win10 is just "perrr-fect," amirite?
                            It's particularly trendy to slam 7, and esp XP, (M$ paid trolling of forums)- while deliberately minimizing issues with Hate and Ten.
                            Going to the extreme of telling people who have legit concerns about a dataminer disguised as an OS that they're "sheltered" or naive, and that "only beginners care about datamining/spyware OS."

No- M$ wishes there were more sheltered beginners out there, who'd be less of an obstacle to metaphorically run over with. Hence their astroturfing.

Everytime I hear FUD about so-called "security" implicating wupdate, file/print sharing, indexing service, etc, I chuckle and remind myself that I've been turning off/uninstalling them since win95; mainly after win98.

The "tech support scammers" will wreck any system, provided the target stays on the fone long enough to socially engineer this.

As far as "upgrade cause teh security," I've heard it since win98/IEgate was pushed out in favor of win95.
                            We all know how that turned out.

The same is true of those "cheap appliances" that seam to have an incredible amount of processing power for their price tag (because they rely on remote servers to do all the heavy lifting -- meaning information has "left the building" before it can be acted upon).
                            Alexa loves you. "They wouldn't do anything bad, would they? I mean, like, it's free, riigght??"

That's precisely why it's free, fool.
                            (Not you, CG- the typical user. )

Well, that and the fact they want everyone to "play along," especially the most important and desired demographic: those without money (who suck with money) and have adopted a "poor-think," "solve all problems with tech" mentality. Even problems which do not exist, except those created by the latest tech fad.

Which brings us to:

I track "occupant" locations within the house/office via their BT headpieces. Stores do the same with the beacons broadcast from your BT devices and phones ("Free WiFi! Please use it so we know your radio is turned on and capable of being tracked as you wander through our store! We'll figure out who you are when you CHECK OUT -- inevitably paying with a credit card -- and retroactively annotate everything we observed about you before that!!")
                            If it's free, or excuse me, "FREE," there's always a catch.
                            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                            Originally posted by shango066
                            All style and no substance.
                            Originally posted by smashstuff30
                            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

custom firmware and NO google play store or facefuck/twatter/instatrack etc is the only way to run Android.

Comment

My main computer (which I never talked about because it's everything people hate - Intel CPU, Gigabyte motherboard, and Seagate hard drive) runs Windows 10 now.

My previous main system now dual boots Windows 7 and Lubuntu 18.04. Unlike Windows, Linux is actually usable with 4GB of RAM, and there isn't much Windows-only software that can run on that CPU and GPU anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                  My main computer (which I never talked about because it's everything people hate - Intel CPU, Gigabyte motherboard, and Seagate hard drive) runs Windows 10 now.

My previous main system now dual boots Windows 7 and Lubuntu 18.04. Unlike Windows, Linux is actually usable with 4GB of RAM, and there isn't much Windows-only software that can run on that CPU and GPU anyway.
                                  I have an Intel CPU, no offenses taken here.

I won't touch Gigabyte with a 39 and a 1/2 foot pole.

See my sig for my opinion on Seagate.
                                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    custom firmware and NO google play store or facefuck/twatter/instatrack etc is the only way to run Android.
                                    Or, simply don't have a data contract. (in my case, NO contract!)

I've got maybe 5 tablets and 6 phones. I use all of them like "appliances".

My phone (only used on the one day a week when I'm "out and about") acts as:
                                    • clock (cuz I don't wear a watch)
                                    • camera (so I can snap pix of things I want to show to others or peek into spaces where my head won't fit!)
                                    • magnifying glass (photo zoomed -- cuz my eyes are toast)
                                    • music player (paired to the stero in the car)
                                    • photo album (to show stuff to other folks)
                                    • WiFi "browser/terminal" (rarely as the screen is just way too small)
                                    • flashlight (for near viewing)
                                    • phone/address book (really messes with peoples' heads when I ask to borrow a phone to make a call WHILE holding my phone to get the number!)
                                    • 911 phone (touch wood that I ever need it!)

(someday I'll figure out how to use it to take notes)

The last thing I need it to be is a telephone or a way to access mail, www, etc. If we want to know who has the cheapest left-handed smokeshifter IN STOCK, we'll sort that out BEFORE we get in the car and start driving around town!

Tablets are just larger versions of that cell phone. My other half now uses one to bring her music with her when she's visiting her "artist" friends -- and calls up a photo of something she wants to paint/draw at the same time. It's larger size isn't an inconvenience when she's already dragging a bag of "art supplies" along.

But, we're old -- we're used to NOT needing to make phone calls while "out". And, definitely don't want other people interrupting us while away! That's why answering machines and email were created!

And, we like BIG displays so we can see without having to drag out eyeglasses to squint at some microtext. And, fullsize keyboards so our fingertips aren't trying to tap little virtual keys that are 23.8773 pixels wide...

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                                      The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
                                      Any "exposed" machine that isn't perpetually in a state of updates risks being vulnerable to exploits -- because there's ALWAYS another (unpatached) exploit and, if there won't be any more patches forthcoming, then the exploit will be forever present!

And win10 is just "perrr-fect," amirite?
                                      There are no "secure" operating systems. Just operating systems that haven't been hacked -- YET!

My "solution" is to simply isolate the activities that NEED to be "exposed" to the outside world from those that DON'T need that exposure. E.g., email is really a lot more convenient to send and receive on an "exposed" (routed) machine. Ditto web surfing.

OTOH, there's no reason my accounting software needs to talk to the outside world. Or, my CAD/EDA/DTP/MM/etc. And, machines are cheap (free?) so why not have one JUST for those "exposed" activities? And, if you discipline yourself to avoid practices that are likely to increase your chances of being victimized (porn sites, email attachments, etc.), then you can keep that exposed machine reasonably "clean".

It's particularly trendy to slam 7, and esp XP, (M$ paid trolling of forums)- while deliberately minimizing issues with Hate and Ten.
                                      I ran W2KS until XP was retired. THEN, updated to XP -- but, only for "internal" (air-gapped) machines. Likewise, only moving to W7 in the last year or two as some of my newer tools were struggling under XP (while others had problems on XP/64).

No- M$ wishes there were more sheltered beginners out there, who'd be less of an obstacle to metaphorically run over with. Hence their astroturfing.
                                      The problem, nowadays, is that the network (The Internet) is increasingly being integrated into "solutions" in ways that don't allow the user a choice, esp wrt privacy issues.

I rescued a Nest 2 thermostat a week or two ago. The first thing I looked at was whether it could ACT AS A THERMOSTAT without an internet connection. Logically, there is no reason it should NEED such a connection. Granted, there would be some functionality that wouldn't be present in the absence of that connection but it should still be able to "learn your preferences" and "control your furnace/AC".

I further argue that I should be able to control it, remotely, without that outbound connection -- via my phone (even if only "within wifi range") or another computer on that wifi network (yet NOT connected to the Internet).

But, the designers opted to cripple it, in that regard.

Other products are RATIONALIZE as requiring that connection to add the ESSENTIAL features that the device is claimed to provide. E.g., your TV needs to talk to a remote server to understand what you've just spoken to it; or, to know what the TV schedule is in your area; or... Of course, you don't NEED to design things this way. But, it gives you a convenient excuse to gain access to data that you'd otherwise not see!

Alexa loves you. "They wouldn't do anything bad, would they? I mean, like, it's free, riigght??"
                                      Unfortunately, folks don't understand how "big data" works. They think that the goal of these folks is to KNOW details about you -- with some CERTAINTY! That's not the case. All they care about is the results they can EXPECT when looking at you as a member of a particular POPULATION -- a population that they have accurately characterized by looking at hundreds/thousands of similar individuals (where "similar" is some arbitrary criteria that THEY consider important).

Make a donation to a charity -- and you've told that charity something about yourself: namely, that you are (more likely) to donate to a charity than your neighbor WHO DIDN'T MAKE A DONATION! So, from whom do you think they will spend their efforts trying to coax donations?? <grin> REDUCE mailings to folks who've not donated (cuz they are unlikelier to respond) and INCREASE mailings to folks who have. Your fundraising is now more effective -- even if some number of those donors get pissed off because you're "asking AGAIN!"

Do this over a (ten?) thousand households and the results add up!

If it's free, or excuse me, "FREE," there's always a catch.
                                      "If something is FREE, then YOU are the product that is being SOLD!"

(why would anyone -- corporate -- do something that costs them money if it doesn't MAKE them MORE money than it costs? Including paying employee salaries!)

Comment

Main system - Windows 7. Mageia and Mint do not like my chipset and/or wireless (970 nothbridge, SB850 south bridge). Mandriva 2010.2 was the "high point" here for Linux, but since then Linux has been more of a struggle than it is worth. Mageia 1-5 did not have a Radeon FGLRX driver so Mageia was useless.

One secondary system has WinXP64/Mageia (or maybe WinXP64/Mint, I don't remember) (P5GC/MX-1333) and another secondary machine, a PVR [i3-3245 chip], has Mythbuntu.
                                        Last edited by Hondaman; 01-02-2019, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X