Defective ShopJimmy LED Strips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defective ShopJimmy LED Strips?

Last summer I replaced the LED Strips in a Vizio E60-E3 4K TV and gave it to my parents. I bought the strips from ShopJimmy's Amazon store.

Over the last couple months they started to have LEDs go out on it... until the other day where enough burnt out to make the TV unusable.

Before we blow another $60 and I go to to the trouble of the repair again, is there a more reputable source for LED strips? Or did I just get a bad batch that just made it out of the warranty period?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Defective ShopJimmy LED Strips?

I have never gotten a bad batch from SJ, but I do know that some of their leds come from the same source as those Ebay sellers. SJ is a great company and I would see if they would exchange them. Cant hurt to ask.

Comment

I've always had good luck with shopjimmy's backlights but I do know this model has a history of bad backlights so I feel it's a case of cheaply designed backlights. If you own this model make sure it's not on Vivid and bring the backlights down as low as you can tolerate. It's one of those models that I give the customers a heads up on before they fork out $300 every 2 years on a backlight repair.

Comment

Fortunately there's a shitload of setting you can go with, you can turn off auto brightness control, set the backlights lower as mentioned, on this model you can also lock in the settings, so kids or old folks can't easily change them, lol, manual there if needed: https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US

Comment

Originally posted by handsworth View Post
          I have never gotten a bad batch from SJ, but I do know that some of their leds come from the same source as those Ebay sellers. SJ is a great company and I would see if they would exchange them. Cant hurt to ask.
          I bought backlights from SJ a few times and no problems thus far, they seem to be the most resourceful site/place for led backlights.

Comment

had nothing but good strips from SJ. think you need to lower the brightness as others have posted.

Comment

Not to diss Shopjimmy or anyone .. cause their youtube support is awesome but ... next time just buy them direct from Aliexpress.com or wherever .. they all come from taiwan, malaysia, china etc .. thats where even tv part stores source their parts. Until we are not consumer bitches to overseas world trade ... never expect replacement parts to be quality made in our own countries like back in the 50's 60's. As well as ajshoe stated rule number one .. Always Turn Your Backlights Down to like 60 or 70 percent to prevent any led overvoltage or burnout.
              Last edited by tech9pc; 03-01-2022, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Well said Tech9pc, when I need them, I just get them from an ebay seller with good feedback, don't get the 180 day guarantee but they're usually half the price and like you said, from the same places.

Comment

I go one step further and modify the current on the set. You know what? Many of these TV manufacturers design the backlight set to run at 100% of its capability. For example a LED lets say a 3030 type with a 3V rating will be driven at 300mA even though its rated at a maximum of 300mA. So the heat dissipation is so high and some of these led strips have bad heat transfer so they do not last. They overheat, the phosphor on the led chip crumbles over time until you are left with a blueish color emanating from th e LED instead of it being white. Not all sets have this resistor that i modify but some do have and i take advantage of it. If i can drop the current to around 200mA i NEVER get a comeback even after a year.

Comment

I hear that, good advice, Tomtec does some resistor mods on his youtube channel.

Comment

Working...
                    X