Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 32LJ610V with the blue tint of death. LED replacing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 32LJ610V with the blue tint of death. LED replacing...

Hi There!
    I own the above mentioned LG set, that suddenly one day started showing all colors faded to blue. I messes with all possible parameters in the menu with no effect.
    Then I looked up online and found that this is a common problem with some of the LG sets that were using a specific brand for their LED backlight.
    I plan to repair it, but I would like to use your experience if you've done this before
    1) Does the issue apply to all the LEDS at the same time or can I just expect to have to swap a couple of them?
    2) Can I anticipate the model number for the leds inside? Or should I go for complete (more expensive) comercial strips?

Im asking as this would be the second time I open the backlight LED area and it's a little tricky having to handle all those ultra thin and delicate layers of plastic&LCD, so I would like to open it just once and change it all with all the needed parts at hand.

Any hint will be greatly appreciated!

Re: LG 32LJ610V with the blue tint of death. LED replacing...

A 32 inch TV is relatively easy to work with a lower risk of cracking the screen though you still need to be careful. Just replace all the strips with new and turn down the backlight level.

https://techhometravel.com/lg-49uj65...e-purple-tint/

Looks the style of LEDs that turn blue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202693007071
    Last edited by neilc6; 04-03-2022, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
      A 32 inch TV is relatively easy to work with a lower risk of cracking the screen though you still need to be careful. Just replace all the strips with new and turn down the backlight level.

https://techhometravel.com/lg-49uj65...e-purple-tint/

Looks the style of LEDs that turn blue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202693007071
      Thanks for th website and link. I see from here that it's not the LEDS but the color filter they placed on them. Anyway I need to change them all.

Ok I found just by looking up "32LJ61" at Aliexpress that they too sell them at cheaper prices. I guess I will take my time to open it all up one time to see how manu strips and length, and then order whats required.

Thanks!!

Comment

Ok I found some time and disassembled down to the led strips. You are right, a 32" panel is not so delicate. Last time I did this it was a 42" set
        I found 2 strips of 5 leds each. BTW they don't show like the ones in the link above, just normal clear white leds with the difusser plastic on top, no color filter at all.

Anyway, should I just go ahead and replace them? They have 32LJ61 printed on them and there are tons of items on AliX and Amazon selling this.

Thanks everyone

Comment

So you don't have a backlight problem?
          I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

I thought I did, as I have this TV showing all in blue tint...and all forums I've checked on LG sets showing blue colors advice to swap led strips. What Im saying is that my led strips are not at all alike to those in the web linked above, they are just plain white (I mean while powered off)

Comment

Ok I found it IS the led strip itself. I applied some DC power to each individual LED in both strips and they show completly BLUE.
              See attached photo.
              Any advise on specific strip to buy? Or just any that shows 32LJ61 on it and comes in a set of 2 x 5 leds each?

Thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

As long as they match your strip numbers.
                I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

You can turn the TV with the panel off on most TVs to test the backlights. Easier on Samsungs since you can just unplug the the main board cable. Maybe not clear but the pictures of the LEDs in the first link are shown with the lenses removed.
                  Last edited by neilc6; 04-04-2022, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
                    You can turn the TV with the panel off on most TVs to test the backlights. Easier on Samsungs since you can just unplug the the main board cable. Maybe not clear but the pictures of the LEDs in the first link are shown with the lenses removed.
                    Ok I see. I just tried to remove all the lenses in one of the strips, and as soom as I wiggle the lens to detach it from the board, I get some yellow "sand" falling from below right before the lens detaches. I guess this yelloy sand is the filter that had got burned

It makes sense

Comment

Indeed, they wear out the yellow burns off and the blue is what's left.

Comment

The layer on top is phosphor that filters the blue led light into white. Apparently all led's are blue emitting diodes. Its the phosphor that changes it to white. In your case due to overuse the pgosphor has disintegrated so you now se the blue.

Comment

Ok, yes I understand.
                          Here's the thing now. Trying to save as much $ as I can on this repair (for a TV that's probably not worth $30 right now), Im searching for a reasonably cheap led strip. All I can find are pairs of led strips around $10-15 with the 32LJ61 marking BUT with 7-8-9 LEDS on them, instead of 5 LEDS as the original one has. Should I care for number of leads assuming that the resistor on the strips acoomodate the voltage to whatever leds they have? Or should I try to find the same number of LED on each strip?

Thanks

Comment

Never mind, I just found a set of 2 strips with 5 leds each at 9$ total.
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by angelos View Post
                              The layer on top is phosphor that filters the blue led light into white. Apparently all led's are blue emitting diodes. Its the phosphor that changes it to white. In your case due to overuse the pgosphor has disintegrated so you now se the blue.
                              Never thought about this, but today I’ve opened a Samsung UE40J5200AWXXC with bluish backlight. The first surprise is to find some LED totally blue, while others are still perfectly valid white. When looking carefuly, I’ve found several yellowish tiny squares (about 1.5mm side) fallen inside the backlight chassis. These squares glow white when exposed to blue LED light, and if I put one of these squares in front of the blue LED, it turns white! So, in this case, the failure is simply that these phosphor "filters" fall off from the LED, because the LED has always been blue.

Actually, they’re not "filters". You could filter white light to obtain another color, because white contains all other colors, but you cannot filter blue light to obtain white. Blue light from the LED stimulates phosphor to glow white. Well, it actually glows yellow and adds up to the blue light that passes through, resulting in white light.

In attached image we can see the raw blue LED and the fallen glowing phosphor caps.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Chungalin; 01-25-2023, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Hola compaƱero compatriota
                                Yes since I fixed the TV set that started this thread, I've had to repair maybe 4 or 5 with the exact same problem.
                                I was at a camping ground last summer and the tent next to us had a TV showing all blue, I told my son go check the brand of that TV set, he came back and said "Sure enough, it's LG"... Exact same thing happened one month later at the hospital, 100% blue TV, it was LG

Anyway since that time I've also found this issue on Samsung TV's as well.

By the way, everytime I've had to fix this I've found the backlight setting to 100%. I turned it down to 50% after the repair, and told the owner that having the BL to the MAX ensures this problem will happen again soon, try to keep the BL as low as possible

Comment

Working...
                                X