X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of Bad Cap Manufacturers

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
    Possibly Ost (the German word for "East", IIRC ... ironically)?
    Yeah, you're right. Ost is the German word for East...

Comment

Ost is the German word for East... haha , can't agree with you more, hello, i'm new here, nice to meet you all

Comment

Originally posted by aldazxc123 View Post
        Ost is the German word for East... haha , can't agree with you more, hello, i'm new here, nice to meet you all
        euh .... pas répondre ??

Comment

Please add SAMWHA caps http://www.samwha.com/

I've seen lots of bad SAMWHA caps in Samsung LCDs.

Specifically:

2200uf 10v VNA

2200uf 10v W1A

1000uf 25v V8A

I've seen another model in Samsung LCDs without any sign of problem:

1000uf 10v V9E

But I always change them anyway!

Comment

VNA , W1A and V8A and V9E are not series codes, they're manufacturer code (manufacturing date and batch numbers)

There are a few series that are now discontinued (I think WB was one of them)

Yes, Samwha is not great, especially when heat is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
              VNA , W1A and V8A and V9E are not series codes, they're manufacturer code (manufacturing date and batch numbers)

There are a few series that are now discontinued (I think WB was one of them)

Yes, Samwha is not great, especially when heat is involved.
              Thank you Mariushm.

The series code is: XC

Comment

I think your list also misses Sam Young capacitors. Although I have had successful experience with NXB series (Low ESR, Long life) but I have seen many people on this forum, having problem with Sam Young in general.

Comment

Hey, guys, do you remember that intro song that Hugh Grant sang for the opening of the Music & Lyrics movie - POP goes my hart?
                  Well, here is a bit modified lyrics of the chorus part, I think it quite serves the purpose for the poor bad caps:

"POP goes bad cap"

I said I wasn’t gonna buy cheap brand
                  But then - POP goes bad cap!

(POP goes bad cap)
                  I didn’t wanna lose my rig again
                  But then - POP goes bad cap!

(POP goes bad cap)
                  And I just can’t see its end
                  I must do the right thing

Imagine this being sung with the original tune/music. Hilarious!
                  Last edited by UserXP; 08-12-2014, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    You've had trouble with Fujistsu Polymers? And I'm surprised to not see Teapo or JunFu in your list
                    Yes I have had Fujitsu pollys fail on xbox 360 motherboards they looked swelled and they were well out on esr and capacitance replaced with rubycon zl, and I have seen teapos and junfus but they weren't physically failed.
                    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Interesting. What did they measure ESR wise and approximately how much use did they see?

Comment

Interesting. What did they measure ESR wise and approximately how much use did they see?
                        They were suppost to be 820 and they only had around 340-480uf esr was near 1 Ohm.
                        The meter was my uncles atlas esr and thats a good meter.
                        Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

It was a xennon motherboard that was backed up with dust and had got extremely hot, some of the rubycons had failed also but the fujitsu polys were also way out, at the start I thought that they were lytics thats why I tested them.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                            LTEC = Luminous Town Electric Company. [China]
                            They are bad.
                            Yep, had to replace one in a Netgear ethernet switch. 100uF @ 400V, 105C

One of the leads broke off when I was removing it out of the Netgear's power supply board (this board inside the switch's box, it's a 24 port box).

A bad case of radio frequency interference was cured by replacing this cap.

While I had the power supply under the knife, I replaced the other Ltec caps as well.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I saw some Rubycon ripoff caps marked "Retycon" a while back. I don't have any pictures of them. They had the Sanyo/Suncon style K vent and similar markings to Rubycon caps (including similar series names - I think these were claiming to be YXA series).

Comment

RGTX
                                Noble

I recapped a "bargain" STB manufactured in 2003, in part to get used to a new soldering station and give my new capacitance meter a workout, but also because fixed it would be a useful spare. It wasn't even 2 years old before malfunctioning became evident, and not long later it wouldn't do more than power up. Total radial cap population was 71. I replaced all except one. The vast majority were RGTX. All except one of the the RGTX were NCD, the other SGX. Obviously bad just looking were 470uf 16v and 100uf 35v, but also obviously bad were Noble in 470uf 35v and 220uf 50v.

Two were nameless, 3 were JHC.

Of the RGTX, at least 15% of those not swollen were below tolerance on uf, a few were way high on resistance, and a few totally kaput.

Comment

Is the the "GL?" of the list in the third post in this thread? This is 470uF 16v 8mmX12mmX3.5mm marked RK1105C. It came from a 19 month old Rosewill RX-DUS100 eSATA/USB2 dock that got to showing up on attachment, then promptly disappearing. I tested it at 400.7uF, ESR .08. The board still has 2 more like it, and 2 same brand 100uF 16v.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Found something interesting. WS brand caps in a cheap power supply, marked as 200V 470uF. On the tester, one shows 216uF and the other 220uF! So I guess they just relabeled 220uF caps?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Add Elcon and Samcon on the list! It appears these are the new names for Sacon/Evercon/GSC. The Samcon/Elcon EEZ series is what used to be Sacon FZ. No, I kid you not.

How I came up with all of that?
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...889#post521889
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...600#post521600
                                      ^ The discussions in these two threads made me go around eBay and search for GeForce 7, 8, and 9 series with Sacon FZ caps (and I've done this many times before). However, this time I found a 512 MB XFX NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (PV-T86J-YAH7) with some shady-looking Elcon EEZ caps. I then googled Elcon EEZ and found very few, but useful results.

First, a 9-seires video card with popped and oozing Elcon EEZ caps:
                                      http://www.taringa.net/pachenco/mi/ZY2g3
                                      Quote from the person in that post (via Google translate):
                                      "Hello ... I burn the video card ... those things exploded and I have no idea if it is fixable! If anyone ever hear sound explocion equal to that chasquiboom do I keep it in consideration!"

Also, those popped Elcon EEZ look similar to how Sacon FZ pop and die. The only difference being that the Elcon EEZ have purple text and marks and a slightly different X-like-looking vent. I attached a picture off of that link above so that we have it here for future reference:

I then found these two posts:
                                      http://www.rom.by/comment/316643&usg...dBgrYxz6RgMwaw
                                      http://www.rom.by/comment/316152&usg...ChAyMHXxEO3UeA
                                      If you Google-translate them, you will find in the first one, someone says that Elcon EEZ are standard eletrolytic caps and not polymers, and they even dissasemble one (picture attached below). In the next link, the person gives a datasheet to Samcon EEL. This made me search Samcon EEL. Found their website here:
                                      www.samcon-hk.com

If you click on "Company" once you enter their website, it shows a picture of both the Samcon and Elcon offices/factories/HQs. Again, I am attaching a picture of that as well, since the comapny that makes these crappy caps tends to change its name quite often and then make its website go down.

Actually, with that said, the Elcon site was almost fully down (sans some jiberish Chinese characters), but with a bit of Google translate, the same capacitor series names appeared as on the Samcon website.

So, with that in mind, this proves the link between Samcon and Elcon. And the way those caps appear to fail, it seems that we found the same company that makes (or used to) Sacon/Evercon/GSC caps. What do you all think?
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by momaka; 01-19-2015, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Really excellent work, thanks for sharing!
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

No problem .
                                          Hope this helps people save some otherwise decent video cards from going to waste. Just use Panasonic FR or FM or Nichicon HW (<new series). Should be just fine.

Comment

Working...
                                          X