ENVISION EN9410e 19" Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENVISION EN9410e 19" Monitor

So, I am Monitor illiterate, it is the one area of a computer system that I have never played with, primarily because this is the first time I have had one that seemed to be worth saving that didn't already work just fine.

Anyway, I got this monitor from a guy, as-is, and he told me some tech told him it was a $25 fix, but couldn't remember what the fix actually was. So I figured I would come here and see if it was identifiable by y'all without having to pay some tech a diagnostic fee as well as a repair fee. Maybe even fix it myself if it is a relatively simple repair.

Problem: Plug monitor in, hook to computer, activate system. Turn monitor on.
    Monitor comes up big as life and holds for 3-5 seconds. Great pic. no visible issues. 5-ish seconds in, monitor goes dark, one sec later, comes back up, 1 sec later goes dark again. Runs in roughly 1 second pulses of on and off.
    Once it starts flashing, it continues doing so without variation up to the 5 minute mark which is all the time I gave it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    Can it actually be repaired for $25?
    Does this sound like the cost of just the part or the whole deal?
    Is this monitor really worth saving?
    And if so how much would the forum at large think was a good price to invest in it considering that I can get a 19" widescreen for $99 almost any day of the week.
    If you all know what this is, is it something that a monitor tyro should even think about fixing himself?
    I know how to use a soldering iron, and I have a multitester, but that is about the limit of my current equippage, is this something that can be fixed that easily, or am I most likely to fry it permanently?
    Hopefully I have given enough info for someone or one's to be able to help me.

The main reason that I am interested in this particular monitor is that it has a square display as opposed to the widescreen format. My wife is kind of a freak and insists that she would rather have a 15" crt that takes up her whole desk than a widescreen lcd of ANY size.
    Not sure how I got such a freak. hehe

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: ENVISION EN9410e 19" Monitor

I've seen them. They use an internal display. Haven't opened one yet, but that sounds like some V is oscillating, either in the inverter area or in the whole PSU. Open it up, and look for visible bad caps. Note the brand, capacitance and V rating, and post the info (with pics if possible, of the LCD's interior). It may be less than $25 if you already have soldering iron, flux, solder, or way to get/borrow them.
    And, Welcome to the forum.
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

SO, it turns out I am chicken. I removed the back cover of the monitor, and found that everything is concealed behind metal plates and aluminum tape of some variety, over the course of 30 minutes, I removed two strips of tape and three metal plates, only to find that there is another layer of metal brackets and clear plastic sheets taped and screwed into various places.
      I was unable to see any of the actual circuitry components as all the boards are installed comp. side down.
      This would mean dismantling EVERY seperate bracket and board section until and unless finding an obviously blown component.
      From what I can see, the circuitry is built on a much finer scale than any I have worked on for over 15 years. Therefore my confidence in being able to Find, IDENTIFY, and FIX the problem without screwing it up even worse, is NOT high.

Therefore, I am rephrasing my question.

Does this sound like a problem that can be fixed for $25. If not how much would be reasonable to expect to pay?
      Or am I wasting my time?

I am going hunting/shooting next weekend, should I just it?

Comment

we disassemble all the boards off the box and find a way to have boards flipped right side up for access with measuring tools. Under the boards i use cereal cardboard (boxboard).

This is not only one happen to you, I had this many times and simply deal with it.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
          we disassemble all the boards off the box and find a way to have boards flipped right side up for access with measuring tools. Under the boards i use cereal cardboard (boxboard).

This is not only one happen to you, I had this many times and simply deal with it.

Cheers, Wizard
          That's true. I use an oversized mouse pad to lay the boards flat against the screen when I test them.
          Why don't you post a pic of where are you in the dismantle process and maybe we can suggest something. The repair almost for sure will involve replacing some caps, and they are not even close to $25 for good quality/reliable replacements most of the time (did a full recap of a 700P for less than $15 shipping included using Panasonic FCs from Digikey). You may pay the $25 and forget the issue, but you'll feel better when you do it by yourself. You are in the same situation I was two months ago, and I have opened and repaired quite a few so far.... and it is only a hobby, mostly.

Come on, don't be afraid .... just post a pic and we'll point you in the right direction.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I told you I was chicken, I put it all back together already and stuck it back on the shelf.

I am going to take it to one of our local tech joints and get a quote before I dive into it much further than I already did. If they can/will fix it for $25 I will let them. It will be less unpleasant than listening to my wife rag on me about destroying HER monitor. Even though I never told her I would give it to her even if it worked. I know how she is.

Is that aluminum tape something that HAS to be there, or is it some kind of security indicator so the warranty guy knows if it has been messed with?
            I was not sure if it was to disperse static or what it was. If it is a necessity, I will have to get some before I dive back in.

I have not messed with component level electronics for a VERY long time, I don't even know If I can tell a resistor from a diode any more.

Any more suggestions will be appreciated, but I am not going to commit myself until I am sure that it won't matter either way. If It sits here broken it is not any use to me, if I cannot afford to HAVE it repaired, then it is of no use to me, and if all else fails and I try it myself and fail, well I have a nicel little target to test my new ammo on.

On the other hand, if I try to fix it and succeed, then I will have learned something or other in the process.

Thanks, if I decide to do it myself, I will post up with pics and stuff to get your advice. Looks like I am going to have to locate a decent magnifying glass as well, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Comment

I just got one of these in with the same symptoms--about 1-2 seconds between PSU shutdown and restart.

When I looked at the PSU, this is what I found:

Note the 5 bulging caps--4 in the right foreground and one in the background. They're all 470/25 CapXon units. I replaced them with Nichicons and the unit works fine.

The odd thing is that the CapXons are on both the +12 and +5 sides of the PSU and failed nevertheless. I wonder if there's a plague of bad 470/25 CapXons out there?

As far as the foil tape goes, my take is that it's mostly for EMI suppression for FCC Part 15. I left it off, but some aluminum duct tape (not the cloth type) would probably do the job just as well as the original.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckG
                I wonder if there's a plague of bad 470/25 CapXons out there?
                Yes, there's a plague. It ls called CapXon ....
                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

ever notice that all the *.xon caps look as if they came from the same factory? also elite.maybe thats why they are always bad.

Comment

Thanks Chuck, that is helpful. I am having trouble finding a local repair geek, the one that I was told about by the guy who gave me this monitor in the first place claims that they do NOT do repairs, they send them out, with a 6-8 week time frame between shipment and RESPONSE, never mind how long it will take them to finish the rotten thing.

I need to make a couple more phone calls, but it is looking more and more like I am going to have to do it myself or use it for target practice.

I will be in touch in that eventuality.
                    While I am thinking about it, what brand is both good and cheap, and where do I get them? The only store we have around here, that I am consciously aware of, that might have them is the Radio Shack, and that is just a MAYBE.

Comment

Originally posted by Artoxx
                      Thanks Chuck, that is helpful. I am having trouble finding a local repair geek, the one that I was told about by the guy who gave me this monitor in the first place claims that they do NOT do repairs, they send them out, with a 6-8 week time frame between shipment and RESPONSE, never mind how long it will take them to finish the rotten thing.

I need to make a couple more phone calls, but it is looking more and more like I am going to have to do it myself or use it for target practice.

While I am thinking about it, what brand is both good and cheap, and where do I get them? The only store we have around here, that I am consciously aware of, that might have them is the Radio Shack, and that is just a MAYBE.
                      The Shack carries only general purpose, non-low ESR caps only, and are very limited.
                      Order from DigiKey.com or Mouser.com.
                      Panasonic FC series are widely recommended. Just watch out the size of yours so you can match the size of the replacements. And stick with 105c temp rating.
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I'll ditto the remarks about Mouser or Digikey. You might find a deal on Everyone's Auction Site, but run the risk of getting counterfeits. Penny-wise, pound foolish.

Jameco or JDR are also known suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by Artoxx

This is not a difficult repair. Use a good-quality temperature-controlled iron (my 35+ year old Weller WTCP has been my mainstay) and either a solder "sucker" (e.g. Soldapullt) or solder removal copper braid. If your eyes are like mine (not as sharp as they once were), a head-band type magnifier (e.g. Optivisor) is useful for this and for reading fine print otherwise.

Pay attention to the capacitor polarity; work neatly and you'll be just fine.

Comment

Any news on this?
                            • Windows 10 Pro x64
                            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I found this forum with Google when my son's EN9410e starting having a power problem. I opened the unit up as suggested and found the bad CapXon aluminum electrolytics on the PSU. I was lucky and located a big bag of Nichicon 470uF 25V caps on the long ignored parts shelf at my work place. After I wiped off all the layers of dust, I found the parts were in excellent condition.
                              I removed the bad caps and replaced with the Nichicons and now the monitor is functioning again! Thanks for the brilliant help with this issue.
                              I think it's time to search Ebay for bad EN9410e monitors that I can buy and fix.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHutt
                                I found this forum with Google when my son's EN9410e starting having a power problem. I opened the unit up as suggested and found the bad CapXon aluminum electrolytics on the PSU. I was lucky and located a big bag of Nichicon 470uF 25V caps on the long ignored parts shelf at my work place. After I wiped off all the layers of dust, I found the parts were in excellent condition.
                                I removed the bad caps and replaced with the Nichicons and now the monitor is functioning again! Thanks for the brilliant help with this issue.
                                I think it's time to search Ebay for bad EN9410e monitors that I can buy and fix.
                                Welcome, and congratulations.
                                Not only EN9410e monitors are affected. I've seen many Envision units coming from eBay that have the same problems (not only Envision units, in fact).
                                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Soooo....I have 3 Envision EN9410 monitors that all have the same problem. I have spent two nights (only a couple of hours total) taking it apart and looking stuff up as to what the problem may be. It is the same problem as listed here where the screen will show the picture and then turn off then show the picture, etc. I think it is the cap... wait for it... acitors!!!
                                  So I have included pictures to make sure this is what it is.
                                  I have not really delved into the world of hardware until recently when I switched out the RAM on my laptop, opened up the case on my VIAO, and bypassed the security system on my '94 Bonneville with resistors, so sorry for the noobishness. I was also wondering what is supposed to be connected to the pins that is surrounded with writing that looks like 1<->3 | 7.5mA, 1<->2 | 6.5mA, 2<->4 | 7mA in the top right corner of the board.
                                  Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory

Comment

Sorry for the double post. Had to adjust images.
                                    BTW love this thread and forum! You guys are the most helpful I have found! Thank you so much from all of us who post and just read to get the information.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory

Comment

Originally posted by BigCanada
                                      Soooo....I have 3 Envision EN9410 monitors that all have the same problem. I have spent two nights (only a couple of hours total) taking it apart and looking stuff up as to what the problem may be. It is the same problem as listed here where the screen will show the picture and then turn off then show the picture, etc. I think it is the cap... wait for it... acitors!!!
                                      So I have included pictures to make sure this is what it is.
                                      I have not really delved into the world of hardware until recently when I switched out the RAM on my laptop, opened up the case on my VIAO, and bypassed the security system on my '94 Bonneville with resistors, so sorry for the noobishness. I was also wondering what is supposed to be connected to the pins that is surrounded with writing that looks like 1<->3 | 7.5mA, 1<->2 | 6.5mA, 2<->4 | 7mA in the top right corner of the board.
                                      Whoah!!! Awesomely bad pictures, dude! The next time you do this try to get the entire board in focus.

OK, to be serious now, the caps that are in focus in the angle shots all clearly have bulging tops. There are a couple that it's a little hard to tell. There are seven caps to replace; I've circled six in the attached picture, the arrow points to number 7. Replace them all, the extra expense will be minimal.

Personally, I prefer Panasonic FC or FM series caps from Digikey. I just rebuilt one monitor; the total cost of the 11 caps was under $5.00. Since you appear to be in Canada, that should be about $3.75 Canadian

If you desire help with selections, post the capacity, voltage, and dimensions of the seven caps I marked. Someone will note the proper replacements.

The pins are used to set the over current limit for the CCFLs. The inverter controller monitors the current through the CCFLs and shuts down if any exceed the set point. Note that a jumper is glued in place. Moving the jumper is not recommended.

PlainBill
                                      Attached Files
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

They just keep finding more ways to make things universal don't they?

Probably the other jumper settings are for larger monitors with slightly larger CCFLs still smart though.

I also like how the output voltages and currents are printed on the board if only more boards were this service friendly.
                                        Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-18-2009, 06:05 PM.
                                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X