X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
    Nooooo. Raid 0 = Double the chance of failure. Given how unreliable all HDDs are nowadays, it's a VERY bad idea IMO.
    I'm going to store all the important data on my server anyway, so it doesn't matter :P this is really just going to be used as a normal computer, not a server. In fact, that's all it really is... I don't know why Dell would market something like this as a server when it's got almost identical chassis and power supply to their Dimensions at the time...

Comment

They market it as a server because it's got a server OS and ECC RAM (even though the rest of the machine isn't server quality).
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Ah well hell...

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          [...] and a AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard (one of those with both AGP and PCI-E 16x connectors, as well as PCI-E 1x and a "future CPU" connector to add a board that supports socket 940 CPUs).
          *Socket AM2 CPUs :P

The upgrade board looks like this btw:
          http://www.ocinside.de/assets/mainbo...oard_2_big.jpg

It's basically a whole motherboard minus the chipset, BIOS, etc.

BTW: the link to your "gaming" system makes me wanna cobble a package of my unused hardware together and send it off.. :/

PS: if the board turns out to be working, someone on ebay germany is currently selling one of those upgrade card thingies. If you want to, I could try to get it and send it your way. AM2 dualcore CPUs are pretty cheap. Quick look on ebay USA shows a Athlon64 X2 4200+ for 26usd w. free shipping. Certainly an upgrade from the 2.6GHz P4 lol

edit: uhm.. okay.. it looks a bit ridiculous with the upgrade board in place, but hey.. if it works..?!

http://www.ocinside.de/assets/mainbo...oard_4_big.jpg
          http://www.ocinside.de/assets/mainbo...oard_5_big.jpg
          http://img179.*************/img179/2378/28215723af6.jpg
          http://img156.*************/img156/4673/21861409ln3.jpg
          Last edited by Scenic; 02-23-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

TODAY-

Dumpster by Dad's office, found a four slice toaster with two independent bread carriages. Plugged it in and it works fine and only had a bit of burnt toast stuck in it. Only minor issue is the bread clamps don't fully engage for one slot sometimes, but it just looks like it needs a bit of mechanical tweaking. Still toasts fine though. Checked prices... still sold new at £40. I think it was thrown out by nearby restaurant. Anyway the old toaster is going to a friend who needs one. Such a waste to throw it out when the local charity shop could have had it if it was going to the bin because it had been replaced.

Dumpster by <unnamed large electronics chain named after something astronomical... or at least their prices are. ZING!>, I found an awesome glass TV stand for any TV (wall mount bracket used) only problem was one of the small 30cm rods was missing but it is readily available at Wickes DIY. RRP £169.99. And just thrown outside to get broken!! Ridiculous.

Also found several component cabinets which were a bit worn (but still plenty usable). There were 5 cabinets but I could only fit two in the car . But that's still enough for all E12 resistors.

Oh and a bit of wood from a broken wood palette for firewood for Dad.
            Last edited by tom66; 02-26-2012, 09:37 PM.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              Dumpster by <unnamed large electronics chain named after something astronomical... or at least their prices are. ZING!>
              http://static.zoonar.com/img/www_rep...f7f9f5b461.jpg

?

Comment

Went to the mall a few days ago to eat and passed a store that has some recycling boxes where people can throw their stuff in.
                Found a nice bag with several motherboards , a cpu cooler, an amd cpu... also got a few days before a dvd writer - no clue why it died, looked inside and didn't spot anything wrong.

on the first motherboard some agp traces are peeled, on the rest of the boards don't see anything jumping out but they're all using ost capacitors and lelon so maybe that could the problem.
                oh the first uses panasonic fc for capacitors - don't know if they were original, soldering looks too nice to be replacements.

oh.. the person that owned these probably had a fetish for bioses and batteries... they're gone where it was possible to be removed.

I'm probably going to remove the headers and leds and inductors and maybe some of the linear voltage regulators to reuse on some microcontroller projects. those damn headers are "expensive" bought separately... about 40 cents each on digikey
                The capacitors... I don't know, I don't have an esr meter yet and I like using quality caps... may probably save just some of the 8mm ones just in case.

inlining the pictures later as the attach function craps out.

Last edited by mariushm; 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

The QDI has some nice Panasonic caps.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                    a dvd writer - no clue why it died, looked inside and didn't spot anything wrong.
                    Nothing usually appears to be bad inside an optical drive when it dies.

Comment

Good news.
                      That computer with the AsRock board is working good so far. The only wrong thing I can see on it is that the area around the RAM MOSFETs has become darkened from heat. The MOSFETs do indeed run pretty hot (almost enough for me not to be able to touch them) - and that's with 1 stick of RAM too. IIRC, weren't AsRock and ASUS related? If so, that explains alot.
                      Caps on the board are mostly Ost (6x RLX 6.3V 3300uF @ VRM, and 10V 1000uF RLP elsewhere), except at the CPU VRM high - those are Chemicon KZE 1200uF (4 or 5x).

Just put XP on it a few nights ago. It's pretty snappy and that AMD CPU runs pretty cool. For PSU, I used my recapped 300W Inno Power (Macron Power MPT-301).

Like the other computers I got for free, this one smells too - it's an a-okay type of smell, though . Apparently, this PC came from a pretty high-class area in my neighborhood so it smells like air fresheners. I'm not really a fan of those (in fact, I dislike them quite a bit). Of course, that beats the smell of cigarettes/tar and/or roach poo any day!
                      It was still somewhat dusty, though. Much less than the average, though.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      interested in a 939 upgrade to a 3800+ athlon64 x2? I have one in a dead asus board w/ cooler. PM if interested.
                      Yes, but first I would like to get a decent PCI-E or AGP video card for this computer. The best I have ATM is 128 MB GeForce 5600 AGP. I have some Radeon 9700's as well, but those all show artifacts. Perhaps after I reflow them some day. I'll send you a PM regardless, just to check S&H.

Originally posted by Scenic
                      BTW: the link to your "gaming" system makes me wanna cobble a package of my unused hardware together and send it off.. :/

Well, I can actually afford to build me a pretty decent computer if I wanted to... but I just don't want to. I find it more fun to mess around with old junk like I do now - every time I do an upgrade, it feels like I've jumped worlds ahead in technology . Moreover, I've learned a lot of stuff that way.
                      Besides, I really shouldn't spend more money on computer stuff considering that my room is full of them already. In fact, I better think of a strategy how to get rid/recycle of some of them. I'm getting close to borderline with hoarding now.

Also, my newest game is Portal (the first one). I think that shows you how much I game these days .
                      Last edited by momaka; 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Yes, unbacking a brand new computer is nice, BUT getting some old working is just as gratifying

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                          Yes, unbacking a brand new computer is nice, BUT getting some old working is just as gratifying
                          I haven't unpacked a brand new PC since my first one, everything since has been upgrades, custom builds and 2nd hand stuff
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                            I haven't unpacked a brand new PC since my first one, everything since has been upgrades, custom builds and 2nd hand stuff
                            What was this "first one"?

Comment

Just a basic system from Warehouse Stationery (NZ equivalent of Staples)

Back when I didn't know much about computers! Intel Celeron 900Mhz says a lot...

However despite being a basic system it was fairly well built, a local job, not a Dell or anything. It had a junk Hyena PSU but apart from that it was OK.

I still have half the original components (better PSU, more RAM, and the HDD died) and use it at my electronics workbench, reading schematics, board layouts etc.
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

Comet.
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

free/cheap scores 1.2

Didn't wanna dig up the old one this is what I got today (ill upload a picture later)
                                  2x apple computers
                                  Dell pc
                                  Hp pc
                                  Elo touchscreen computer pos thing
                                  5 or so monitors
                                  Tons of keyboards and stuff
                                  Rackmount thing I didn't look at so Idk what it is
                                  More stuff I forgot prolly

All for free.

Comment

oops!

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                    Didn't wanna dig up the old one this is what I got today (ill upload a picture later)
                                    2x apple computers
                                    Dell pc
                                    Hp pc
                                    Elo touchscreen computer pos thing
                                    5 or so monitors
                                    Tons of keyboards and stuff
                                    Rackmount thing I didn't look at so Idk what it is
                                    More stuff I forgot prolly

All for free.
                                    merged back into 1.1... the last post was 12 days ago... c'mon man!
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

We dig this thread up all the time. Sometimes, you can bend the rules a bit.

Anyhow, my last score was a complete PC. Pentium D 2.8GHz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB SATA HDD,ATI HD2400 Graphics, 450W K-Mex PSU. It works, except for a faulty RAM module. it works fine after replacing that.

Also got a free CoolerMaster extreme power plus 650W (Seventeam OEM) with bad Suscon caps and a failed Death Adder (adda) fan. It works after recapping and replacing the fan.
                                      Last edited by c_hegge; 03-11-2012, 06:43 PM.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                        We dig this thread up all the time. Sometimes, you can bend the rules a bit.
                                        yeah, I have been half-temped at times to sticky it... same for the dumpster thread ...
                                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                          yeah, I have been half-temped at times to sticky it... same for the dumpster thread ...
                                          sounds like it would be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                          X