This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Got my free 40inch LG working today got all the caps i ordered and got both tv and monitor working.
    Attached Files
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Found a dell pc 2.1 speaker set today, had to put a new ac lead on it but it works fine, and sounds better than the JBL creatures i have.
      Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

Was actively looking through eBay buying untested Sandisk Sansa players and surprise, most of them actually work. What I have obtained so far:

One Sansa Fuze 8GB player. Replaced my bricked Fuze. Had bad headphone jack, which I fixed.

Five Sansa Fuze 4GB players. Two simply needed formatting, and one needed a replacement screen. The other two were very finicky. (One had water damage.) I left those as for parts. So in total, I have one v1 and two v2 Fuzes.

One Sansa c240v2 and one c250. The c240v2 works perfectly, but the c250 had an issue regarding its headphone jack. A small connector pad came off the board, but still attached to the jack's connector. I have since fixed this one. They need the Rockbox firmware, honestly.

I love fixing things.
        Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
        I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

found an e250r in a box of stuff i got from the apt cleanout guy.
          it worked but the battery is dead.dont have the proprietary cable for it.
          probably should look for a cheap replacement.but i need the thing like another hole in my head.

Comment

I got a brand new acer V243H 24" monitor. guy bought it from newegg and didn't use it right away. by the time he did and discovered it didn't work, it was too late to return it. Bought it for $30. It would come on to a bright white raster.

I have to hand it to Acer's quality control....all that was wrong, the ribbon from the signal processor board to the panel was not plugged in. Plugged it in, and this post is being made from it.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Today... while on my lunch break, I walked into Dick Smith electronics (like a Radioshack). I intended just to take a look but on the clearance was a Philips DC-320 alarm clock/ipod dock. Just the item itself, no box or manual. Picked it up and walked to the counter where I was told it wasn't on their system. After a few different sales people, they finally found it... for $129.
              I said it had no box and was just the device itself. The salesman hesitated for a few moments then said $20. Couldn't resist so I bought the thing home. No power supply? No problems! 12V universal China-made laptop power adapter thing went in and it's good to go.
              I used to use that adjustable power supply with my HP TC4200 before I bought the proper PSU... that time it was burning hot every time I used it with the HP, now with the dock it's cool as a cucumber (only needs 500mA to run). I'm not paying $40 for a genuine power supply!!
              Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                Today... while on my lunch break, I walked into Dick Smith electronics (like a Radioshack).
                Not any more. RadioShack sells components and other hobby stuff, Dick Smith is now just full of cheap Chinese TVs and other junk.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

On the roadside collection 2-3 weeks ago, I picked up a few bits of TV equipment and other stuff:

2003-era Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder (sold it to neighbour same day for $20; year is only guesswork, it was roughly the size of a VCR).
                  2009 Samsung HT-Z120 DVD player. Owner said it kept stuttering and wouldn't even read some discs; after taking it apart and removing the tiniest speck of dust from the laser lens with a Q-tip it worked perfectly!
                  Topfield TF-7050HDRT digital HD PVR.
                  Two Chinese brand digital set top boxes, both of which also work perfectly.

The owner was nice enough to run inside and find the remotes!

Also picked up three vacuum cleaners, all working OK; in fact, one was a bit more powerful than a completely identical one I was previously using (1400W cyclonic vac).

Also, an Acer desktop PC with a fried 200W OEM power supply (seized Sunon fan and many bulging Teapo caps that weren't too happy looking). Still haven't tested the PC but the PSU just spun the replacement fan and squealed through the caps when jumpered on. The entire PC, desk, white 17" AC711 monitor and original keyboard was all there (no mouse), but I just grabbed the PC and keyboard since it was a fair distance away and I was walking.

Also with the TV stuff was a Logitech wireless USB mouse and receiver, which worked OK when tested (in fact, it is very touchy by default in Windows, move about 1.5 inches and you're from one side of the screen to the other) but the mouse lacked the battery cover.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                    On the roadside collection 2-3 weeks ago, I picked up a few bits of TV equipment and other stuff:

2003-era Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder (sold it to neighbour same day for $20; year is only guesswork, it was roughly the size of a VCR).
                    2009 Samsung HT-Z120 DVD player. Owner said it kept stuttering and wouldn't even read some discs; after taking it apart and removing the tiniest speck of dust from the laser lens with a Q-tip it worked perfectly!
                    Topfield TF-7050HDRT digital HD PVR.
                    Two Chinese brand digital set top boxes, both of which also work perfectly.

The owner was nice enough to run inside and find the remotes!

Also picked up three vacuum cleaners, all working OK; in fact, one was a bit more powerful than a completely identical one I was previously using (1400W cyclonic vac).

Also, an Acer desktop PC with a fried 200W OEM power supply (seized Sunon fan and many bulging Teapo caps that weren't too happy looking). Still haven't tested the PC but the PSU just spun the replacement fan and squealed through the caps when jumpered on. The entire PC, desk, white 17" AC711 monitor and original keyboard was all there (no mouse), but I just grabbed the PC and keyboard since it was a fair distance away and I was walking.

Also with the TV stuff was a Logitech wireless USB mouse and receiver, which worked OK when tested (in fact, it is very touchy by default in Windows, move about 1.5 inches and you're from one side of the screen to the other) but the mouse lacked the battery cover.
                    Looks like we will be seeing some capacitor carnage soon!

What model is the logitech mouse? I have an M305, it only needs to be moved about 2 inches to go across the whole screen - thats how I like it
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Found a Canon ZR500 Camcorder for $30.

It had the battery and nothing else... not sure if there is a tape in it or not. other than a few light scratches, its in pretty good condition.

Looks like I may need to get a 4 pin to 4 pin 1394 cable and a universal battery charger... but given current ebay prices, I don't think $30 was bad at all.

edit: looks like there are OEM chargers on ebay... for $40 . Looks like I'll have to try an auction or hack another brick; I doubt anybody around here has one sitting.

edit2: i checked, it has a tape inside... yay.
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I was at work, when my co-worker rebooted a PC the monitor would not turn back on. If you power cycled the screen it would flash on for a fraction of a second. I did not think it was the protective circuity due to how fast it would turn off. When my manager made the comment, "I wonder where you dispose of something like this?", I promptly replied "Right here!" as I held up my hand.

I was determined to get it working before work the next day. At my first opportunity that night I tore into it. The first thing I did was test the CCFL bulbs with my handy dandy bulb tester, they all worked. I then checked the resistance of the transformer secondary windings. They were close to the same value and seemed fine to me. When these test did not show a problem I decided to get out my Blue ESR tester and start checking the capacitors. The small cap next to D852 had an unusually high reading, more so than any of the others. I happened to have a new replacement on hand so I quickly replaced it. A quick bench test showed that the monitor was again working. I reassembled it and had the monitor working in less than an hours time.

The entire power supply could use some quality caps but I did not have them on hand so I will have to get back to it eventually but for now I am using it as is, until I have time or it quits working again.

One thing is for certain, this monitor would have been dumpster fodder if it was not for this site and what I have learned from its' members. Thanks goes out to all those that are willing to spend their time on this forum helping others.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
                          The small cap next to D852 had an unusually high reading, more so than any of the others.
                          That is the "startup" cap. It often goes bad with no signs of bloating.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
                            When my manager made the comment, "I wonder where you dispose of something like this?", I promptly replied "Right here!" as I held up my hand.
                            I guess I'm not the only one "cleaning up" junk from the IT department then. Whenever I'm told to "trash it", I just ask if I can have it instead. Got some cool toys to fix/play with this way.

Speaking of which, a friend of mine had 2 computer power supplies that lacked the cases. Said he took them out of Dell computers and didn't want them / would likely trash them. When I heard that, I didn't even stop to think for a second to say "yes, I want them". Turned out they are both HiPro units with big passive PFC chokes. I think these are most likely the solid 250 W ones. I just need to put them in a case and they will be good to go in my computers.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              That is the "startup" cap. It often goes bad with no signs of bloating.
                              That is an apt name for the little guy. I would complain about it being a crap capacitor brand but if not for it going bad I would not have the monitor now. I was very glad I had invested in an ESR tester that day.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              I guess I'm not the only one "cleaning up" junk from the IT department then. Whenever I'm told to "trash it", I just ask if I can have it instead. Got some cool toys to fix/play with this way.
                              If it operates on electricity and it is being given or thrown away I will almost always grab it, you just never know what you will find inside. There is almost always something useful that can be scavenged if the device itself is not worth repairing.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                Found a Canon ZR500 Camcorder for $30.

It had the battery and nothing else... not sure if there is a tape in it or not. other than a few light scratches, its in pretty good condition.

Looks like I may need to get a 4 pin to 4 pin 1394 cable and a universal battery charger... but given current ebay prices, I don't think $30 was bad at all.

edit: looks like there are OEM chargers on ebay... for $40 . Looks like I'll have to try an auction or hack another brick; I doubt anybody around here has one sitting.

edit2: i checked, it has a tape inside... yay.

Got my cord today (it cost me $25.50) and when I went to power on the camcorder... it was deader than dead.

I did some SMD part fixes (I read my issue was often caused by blown pico fuses, which were indeed blown) and it's still dead... all that chnaged is that the VRM got pretty toasty... me thinks something shorted.

Well, there went $55.50 down the toilet

I'll either try to find another camcorder that uses this type charger (Anybody out there happen to have one sitting?) or I'll ebay the charger and cut my losses.

Lesson: If it don't have a power cord and it's more than a $20 investment, don't buy it; goodwill is a tax-deductible e-waste dumpster

sigpic

Comment

You win some, you lose some
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

You just reminded me that I picked up like 5 brand new Video8 tapes from the thrift store for $2.

I found a Video8 recorder a while ago with all the accessories neatly placed in its briefcase. Nice little camcorder.
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
                                      I have a HI8 Sony VCR here. Used to use it all the time for video editing. Havent had it out in a few years....
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                        I did some SMD part fixes (I read my issue was often caused by blown pico fuses, which were indeed blown) and it's still dead... all that chnaged is that the VRM got pretty toasty... me thinks something shorted.
                                        Probably an evil ceramic capacitor got shorted somewhere. Time to crank the iron on high and start pulling ceramic caps. Nothing to lose there. And if you don't find anything, you get spare ceramic caps in your bin.

$20 is usually my limit for broken stuff, and they would have to be rather useful to me or be worth more in parts if I was to buy.

Originally posted by LDSisHere
                                        If it operates on electricity and it is being given or thrown away I will almost always grab it, you just never know what you will find inside. There is almost always something useful that can be scavenged if the device itself is not worth repairing.
                                        Indeed.
                                        For me, there is no such thing as "having too many spare parts around". If you asked my parents, though - they will disagree

Comment

I think the main chip since it too got toasty... I've bid on a replacement unit too.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X