This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Motorola D3 Cable Modem will save me $7/month for the Comcast supplied one (even though when the first one, an SMC died, they obviously traded it out for another at know charge for another one, Arris this time, so I no longer get to get new ones for free). but come on it's a cable modem I got it for $15+tax

Also some decent Sony headphones for $5+tax

Comment

The other day, I got a big lot of various PC100 SODIMM RAM modules from a fellow Craigslister (thanks Eric). Among the bunch are 2x 256 MB low density sticks, which is exactly what I needed to bring back my laptop to 512 MB of RAM. The 384 MB I have in it right now is really hardly cutting it. Can't wait to turn it off tomorrow so I can install the RAM in it.

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      Motorola D3 Cable Modem will save me $7/month for the Comcast supplied one
      $7 a month??? Ridiculous! That's $84 in a year!!
      These guys really must've had you bend over hard!

Comment

got a free samsung 27" 1080p monitor off cl.
        needs work of course.
        a friend got a free igt "draw poker".
        complaint was wont boot.dead monitor.i rebuilt it and reinstalled this evening.fired right up.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          got a free samsung 27" 1080p monitor off cl.
          needs work of course.
          Seems like the local craigslist here is filled with TVs now after Black Friday, especially CRT TVs in the free section. I think there's at least 20 or so postings for the CRTs just in the last 2 days. I pity the fools who went out on Black Friday and bought the cheap low-end LCD TVs on "sale". Pretty sure their old CRT TVs had better picture.

Comment

whats funnier yet is i got a free 40" 1080p in the box saturday.
            poor gal had just bought it and her 3 year old nailed it with a wii remote.
            good for parts.
            Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Seems like the local craigslist here is filled with TVs now after Black Friday, especially CRT TVs in the free section. I think there's at least 20 or so postings for the CRTs just in the last 2 days. I pity the fools who went out on Black Friday and bought the cheap low-end LCD TVs on "sale". Pretty sure their old CRT TVs had better picture.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
              whats funnier yet is i got a free 40" 1080p in the box saturday.
              poor gal had just bought it and her 3 year old nailed it with a wii remote.
              good for parts.
              lol
              now try that with a CRT. *bonk* and the wii remote shatters instead .

Comment

And the CRT will last longer probably. Unlike the cheap LCDs with Fuhjyyu capacitors!
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                  And the CRT will last longer probably. Unlike the cheap LCDs with Fuhjyyu capacitors!
                  Capxon and Samwha/Samyoung probably

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                    Capxon and Samwha/Samyoung probably
                    Well CapXon are just as useless...
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Just bought this off ebay, all working.

Samsung PPM42M5SS 42" Plasma Display Panel

£10
                      Attached Files
                      Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

AG Neovo has been popular in europe years ago. 4 years ago a my friend bought a full hd AG Neovo 22", it had a good price and overall good quality in respect to samsung similars.

1 year ago i have found an AK-47 when cleaning the new store where i am based. for sure i took it to the police station.

Comment

Scores this week:

$2.50- dell bluetooth keyboard. Clicky. Has some shortcut keys. Solid construction.

$10- a bunch of mobo cables:

- 8 18" sata cables
                          - 3 2 port molex to sata adapters
                          - 2 9 pin component/svideo adapters (one was found in my old garage, same as the other one)
                          - a single 1394 header bracket
                          - a single two port USB 2.0 header bracket (the kind that fits in a 25 pin hole).
                          - an ASUS two port external Sata (not esata) adapter:

Most of those I don't have a use for but if anything its trade sweetener...

Also found a like-new Asus radeon 9550 agp card with a fan mod I forgot I had... kinda free I guess?
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

This week?
                            $29 dual CPU motherboard from Topcat
                            2x: https://www.datashack.net/cart/?id=192
                            And I got $20 for some random old AMD dual core CPU I didn't need so that's a good score I guess

Comment

The 9550 ended up being a dud.
                              sigpic

Comment

sansui 1000a tube stereo dropped off for recycling.
                                that is getting a tune up and coming home with me!
                                also a video microscope,several cameras,and a video effects box.

Comment

Just bought four non working computer with no RAM or HDD.
                                  Acer Aspire 5500 : burnt chip on the motherboard
                                  Packard Bell SL65 : badly broken flat panel, exterior is broken, runs for about 15 seconds and then stops.
                                  Packard Bell LJ65 : slightly broken exterior...but works ! The laptop must have felt on a corner and broke on the hinge which cut the power switch wires. Very simple repair
                                  HP 620 : It did start but nothing was showing on the screen. I noticed some make up glitter was spilled all over the keyboard and underneath, I had a hard time cleaning this mess. Worked immediately upon reassembly.

All of this for 40€ !

That makes two fairly recent computers for about 20€ each, and I haven't tried repairing the Acer. I'll go get some DDR3 tomorrow for the HP and the Packard Bell.

Comment

bought two linksys wpc54g v1.2 pc cards for 3 bux a pop. They even still had the film on the linksys badges.

Edit- one of them actually is a wpc54gs v1.0... even better!
                                    Last edited by ratdude747; 12-20-2012, 03:57 PM.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Here's whats inside the cards from ^: (from lspci)

WPC54G V1.2:
                                      Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

WPC54GS V1.0:
                                      Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

Yes, they are internally the exact same card. Who would have thought?
                                      sigpic

Comment

Got from a customer she got a new one so she gave me Sony VGN-NS135D and a Dell tower all gota do is pull files off.
                                        Attached Files
                                        My Computer.
                                        AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                        Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                        Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                        500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                        1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                        2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Found a 4870x2 2G a few days ago, tested it using 3Dmark without any problems several times on both dvi outputs.

Working just fine.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X