Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

i love commodore stuff.
    you should look at this for the amiga.
    https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

Comment

Actually not a bad idea.

I might pick one of those up after I find another monitor. The 1084S there worked for a whole of maybe 2 minutes before it ticked a couple times (a few seconds apart - no screen jumping) and shut off all together. Won't turn back on.

I assume the flyback blew and took some power supply with it. The squeal from this was horrible but I've known some that just make the noise and work fine forever.

Comment

well they are known for blowing transformers.
        but i'v had them with shorted line transistor (bu508a) before.

also, most of them have a seperate psu pcb that slides out, you can test it alone on a lamp-load.
        and you should because i think you need to calibrate the output voltage.
        and it probably needs a new startup cap.

too bad your so far away, i think i have a spare transformer somewhere that was purchased and never used!

Comment

btw, i'm going to hook my amiga's to a vga monitor once this arrives!
          http://www.sintron-hk.com/GBS-8220-a...-P2699965.aspx

Comment

I'll probably end up getting one of the S-Video adapters to run off the RGB output. A few exist that are supposed to give colour output rather than the monochrome off composite and it'll work well enough until I can find another monitor.

I've got somewhere I can look for old monitors anyways so who knows what might show up. Now that I'm thinking about it I wonder if there's an Amiga RGB to BNC RGB adapter somewhere...or an old NEC Multisync. Hrm.

Sadly most things Amiga have gotten insane expensive lately.

Comment

why not get the 8220 i listed and use a vga input on a tv/monitor?
              you can also get a slightly cheaper model from DX with only one output.

Comment

Not super cheap and not my own personal either - for the living room.

Picked up a 42" Dell Plasma TV for $125. No burnin, no audio or picture issues, nothing except a slightly wonky front power button (takes a couple pushes to turn on).

Has the original speakers but for some reason doesn't have the stand. It does, however come with a wall mount which is nice to have.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                why not get the 8220 i listed and use a vga input on a tv/monitor?
                you can also get a slightly cheaper model from DX with only one output.
                At the moment I'm saving up for a new camera lens. My camera got caught by wind and knocked off where it was and screwed up my lens (no infinity focus anywhere, grinding at full zoom with AF, won't zoom out past 28mm and a metal chunk fell out the back).

Comment

you should replace that power switch, that's the type of thing that catches fire!

Comment

Power switch is a soft power button - not running mains through it. I assume it's just a worn contact under it but if using a remote no one ever has to touch it anyways.

Comment

Scored a Belkin Play 600 F7D8302 V1 router for $3... it even had two Ethernet cables with it.

DDWRT'd just fine... and even for a belking it seems halfways reasonably build. Dual band broadcom everything. Not much in the way of status lights... But for $3, hell yes.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Got this lot of graphics cards for 10€ (20€ with shipping) :
                        http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Lot-Carte-gra...:X:AAQ:FR:1123

HD5770 V3 Sapphire
                        HD3650 256Mb DDR3 Asus
                        GTS250 1Gb Asus
                        GT220 1Gb DDR2 Sapphire
                        G100 512Mb MSI
                        9600GT 512Mb (can't find the brand)

Sold as not working...well it's not quite true Aside from the HD5770 which was overheating at first and now doesn't seem to be detected properly, they all work flawlessly.

Also got 2x2Gb of SO-DIMM DDR3 12800 from a MacBook Pro (cool flat black PCB) for 9€.
                        Last edited by SuperDuty; 12-04-2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Very wet Optiplex 780 SFF. Has a 3 GHz Core 2 Duo, no ram, no HDD. Was free because they stuck it in a plastic bin before the storm and it ended up completely submerged under water.

Gutted it and stuck it in a warm spot of the house to dry out. I'll probably try it on Wednesday or so to ensure it's entirely dry. If there's any corrosion starting I'll give it an alcohol bath.

The 780s are awesome as you can throw a Core 2 Quad and 8 gigs of DDR3 into them no problem. The SFFs are even nicer as they fit easily under or behind a monitor.

Comment

I got today a Toshiba Laptop dual core out of the recycling bin that actually worked. Nothing wrong with it!
                            Last edited by CapLeaker; 12-13-2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

My brother's laptop is nearly the same way. It was in great shape in ewaste, $10 got it out for me.

Surprisingly only thing wrong is a few bad sectors on the hard drive but almost a year later it's still running fine on that drive. Windows wouldn't load but a reinstall wasn't hard anyways.

People really have some weird obsession with just throwing out "old" stuff rather than passing it on imo. Maybe it's that "recycling" stuff.

Comment

Yeah, it's dumb... look at the dell poweredge 830 I scored awhile back... $20 GW donation. Sure, it took another $50 or so to make run (mainly due a broken CPU cooler latch which I could only get with a $25 mobo)... but with 3 500GB SATA drives (hotswap caddies) and a Perc 5/i SAS card (and a kickass adaptec SCSI host), for $20... hell, just one of the HDDs was worth more than 20... one of the cards more than 20... chucked it like it was a used pizza box almost. Sure linuxed up nice!
                                sigpic

Comment

Scored an Agilent U1241B in the local ads for $60 CDN shipped.

The thing was grimy as heck (Must have been used by an auto-mechanic), but a little charcoal fluid and an old rag and it cleaned up rather nicely. Came with nice Agilent gold plated test leads (Well the gold plating has worn off for the most part), that detach at the end. Does anyone know where I can get grabbers or spring hook pieces that would be compatible with these leads?

It works perfectly as far as I can tell. I don't have any voltage or resistor standards, but I'm pretty sure it's spot on. Capacitor measurement is good too, not that I'd rely on it for that. The only thing thought was odd was the mV measurement which fluctuates wildly when I wave the leads around, but that's perfectly normal (I wonder why though).

Yay! Finally, I have a normal multimeter.
                                  Attached Files
                                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
                                    Not bad!
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                    Team : 49813
                                    Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

That's actually really cool. My office is in HP Agilent former headquarters...

Comment

Scored 19 HTC/LG OEM micro usb cables for 19 plus tax. All were brand new at goodwill, some having 0.7A lg chargers and two having 1A HTC chargers. .. my family needed micro usb cables bad and our samsung phones and tablet don't like cheap cables (like they ovresized the shells a hair)... won't need cables any time soon.
                                        sigpic

Comment

scored a waterproof kyocera hydro for null.
                                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X