Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EuropAce EWC 3108 Wine Chiller - Seems like no temperature sensor input

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
    you could monitor 2sc1815 base or just change it ..
    on another note i wouldn't use that transistor for a relay driver . i would choose a better one .
    What would be a better replacement if I were to change them?

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      If I were doing this I would recommend removing the relay from the board and checking its function off the board if working correctly off the board then I would try to figure out what is wrong with the board circuit and why it is not working correctly

I would not trust just using only a ohm meter to check the relay contacts I would hook a light bulb ( if you have a bench power supply and some automotive light bulb to test the relay output pins ) to test weather or not the relay output pins are capable of carrying current

Or another option is if you can [ isolate ] ( make sure that the pins do not have any connection to the controller board ) the relay coil pins from the circuit board and attach two wires to relay coil them yes you could inject the 4.5 to 5 volts to activate the relay just make sure that you are correct about what the relay coil voltage is for the coil
      I have done some tests and learnt something new today:
      1) I took the relay off circuit, tested with 12Vdc and it clicked on/off correctly when applied power is applied/off. Tested with 5Vdc it does not click actually...
      2) I wired the relay output pins to the circuit and wired the replay input pins to the external 12Vdc.
      3) Powered up the chiller, and the same click-on click-off sounds every 5 seconds interval.
      4) Same scenario - when relay is off, the bottom compartment get chilled as usual; when relay is on, the bottom compartment continue to get chilled, and the top compartment get barely chilled..

Something new I found was - this click-on click-off sound is not from the relay but from the solenoid!! Seems like the solenoid is toggling between the 2 output valves every 5 seconds, but somehow it cannot hold it at the toggled position.

This could be the reason always one compartment get chilled?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by beetle1303 View Post
        What would be a better replacement if I were to change them?
        i would check out bc337

Comment

You have to figure out what or if there is another relay that switching back and forth
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

You have to figure out what or if there is another relay that switching back and forth
            There are only 2 relays - 1 for compressor and 1 for solenoid. I am convinced that the clicking noise came from solenoid itself as I can feel the clicking-vibration when I put my finger on it.

I disassembled the solenoid, took out the tiny PCB on top, and did some check on some of the components. Nothing obviously read bad, except I do not know how the read the C106M transistor. I also not able to trace the current flow as I don't quite understand the circuit.. I attached the photos of it with various angles to see if you're or anyone are able to see what might be wrong with it.
            Attached Files

Comment

I would recommend checking the following

Diode for shorted for open

if you have a ESR capacitor tester check the capacitors

Check the transistor or mosfet or what ever the three pin device that you put the part number
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I have checked most of the components, and nothing seems obviously faulty.. So I wired the relay to a 12Vdc supply, and the solenoid PCB with external 240Vac. The output is stable 280+ Vdc.

I then put this setup onto the solenoid, and got the same 5 seconds click-on click off sound. I am assuming this the the sound of the plunger being energized and moved, but de-energized immediately and sprung back to original position.

But if this is the case, what makes it repeating itself every 5 seconds?? Could it the 280+ Vdc is too high causing the solenoid coil to over heat and cut-off, and re-energized after cooling down after 5 seconds??
                Attached Files

Comment

Put a couple of 100 watt or a 200 watt bulb on the output of this board and see if it can handle this load with out switching on and off if can and it does not cycle on and off

Then I would conclude that the solenoid coil has some issues
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Under zero load, the output is ~280Vdc. So the 100W AC incandescent bulb won't lit...

I happened to have a 220Vdc motor around, connected it the the output. It spin for a split second, then gone into a start-stop-start-stop every second or so... I measured the voltage under this load, and it reads zero, then ~2-3Vdc, then repeat this as the motor in start-stop start-stop state.

There is a 400v 10uF capacitor - could this be the issue if it is bad not charging or not holding charge? It measured good in circuit ~10uF, but I don't have an ESR meter to confirm if truly good.

Worthwhile to replace this to see if it work?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Do you have any capacitor from a switching power supply that might have a capacitor that is close to this value what is the value of the other capacitor and where do the pins of that capacitor goes to
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

The other capacitor is a 50V 1uF, see attached pic on how they are mounted. And yes, I found a 50V 1uF and a 450V 10uF capacitors from some power PCBs. Will find time to replace them and test it later.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Update:
                          I have replaced the 2 capacitors, tested but same outcome - clicked on/off every 5 seconds. In fact in inserted my DMM on the 2 output connectors during the tests, and the reading is 0Vdc for about 5 seconds, then sudden jumped to 7-25Vdc then back to 0. This is co-inside with the 5 seconds internal between clicking on/off cycle.

It is possible that the circuit if cut off if this PTC is overheated and reconnected after cooling for 5 seconds?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Test this board with an in-condensed light bulb 100 watt because the issue might be the solenoid but we to know for sure which one is the real problem
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-13-2020, 07:40 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Test this board with an in-condensed light bulb 100 watt because the issue might be the solenoid but we to know for sure which one is the real problem
                              I think you meant incandescent (not in-condensed) light bulb. Yes, I have done that not it's not lighting up at all, see post #29.

I suspect there is a short circuit somewhere and the PTC is shut off due to overcurrent. And this the repeating itself when it cooled and enabled every 5 seconds. Possible?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a spare bc337 to if this part might be bad
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Do you have a spare bc337 to if this part might be bad
                                  No, I don't have this part yet but will go buy some later.

I am focusing on the solenoid PCB to determine if this is good or bad. I found someone's description of this solenoid, SDF0.8 3/2:
                                  ----------
                                  Product Type Description SDF ---- pulsed electromagnetic valve code

0.8 ---- solenoid valve diameters: 0.8mm

3/2 ---- Feature code: Indicates a two state, three connecting pipe

Power supply voltage: 220V

Frequency: 50 / 60Hz

Rated operating voltage: 165 ~ 253V

Insulation resistance: 500M

Electrical strength: 1500V, 50HZ sinusoidal AC 1min

(From the state of the solenoid valve air 400mm) Noise: 55dB (A)

Solenoid valve control power: solenoid valve driver needs at least four sinusoidal 50 / 60Hz positive or negative half-wave pulse (drive pulse waveform of FIG. See in particular), a state of the switch into another state of the time interval is not less than 30s.
                                  ----------

I don't understand this solenoid PCB and not able to trace the current flow. I have replaced the 2 capacitors, and checked the C106M SCR off-circuit. Still getting the same result..

I finally managed to get my video posted online: https://www.flickr.com/photos/145334.../shares/3689ME

From this video, you can see that when the solenoid first powered up, the 280Vdc motor spin briefly for 1 second or so, then gone into start-stop repeatedly.

Comment

if you use bc337 be aware the pin out is reversed from the 2sc1815

Comment

*** Merry Christmas everyone ***

I was ignorant about incandescent light bulb, thinking it only works with AC voltage in my previous post. I retested connecting the output to a 100W incandescent bulb. There is no light at all and I think it's because it only lit for a split second then stopped for 5 seconds, and the bulb has not time to heat up..

To confirm the short-circuit in the solenoid PCB, I connect the 100W incandescent bulb in series with the incoming Live cable. The bulb flickered for first 1-2 seconds, then off. I believe this is due to a short circuit when the varistor heated up opened, and took few seconds to cool and opened again due to the short circuit.

See this video: https://flic.kr/p/2kkh6yg

* the clicking sound is from the solenoid plunger.

But I just don't understand the circuit to trace the short..
                                      Last edited by beetle1303; 12-25-2020, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Like had above I am being to think that the bc337 is bad or the inrush device is bad or both of them together

Because it starts off pulling current but then there is no current being pulled
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I am powering up the solenoid directly for the test, so bc337 is not in scope.

I am thinking the inrush device cut off the power supply when too much current is drawn.. But I will replace it to see what happen.

Comment

Working...
                                          X