What 2.5 inch HDD for server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What 2.5 inch HDD for server?

So, I have to choose HDD-s for server. They have to be 2.5" SAS disks.
    I hesitate between these disks
    Seagate Enterprise Performance 2.5 600GB SAS (ST600MP0136)
    Seagate Exos 10E2400 600GB 10000 256MB SAS (ST600MM0099)
    4 disks will be installed in RAID 0+1
    I need reliability and it is advisable that HDD-s are CMR. I am not a big fan of SMR disks and I won't use such for a server.
    I require high reliability.
    If you have advises for a different brand, similar capacity and price range, same RPM or faster - sharing will be appreciated.
    Last edited by televizora; 03-04-2021, 09:16 AM.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Re: What 2.5 inch HDD for server?

For similar prices, you can get sas ssd drives
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      Yup. Seagate Nytro is good, also Sandisk Lightning do well... I've personally played around with both of those and they were nice. Just about all the big drive makers have them available.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        SSD-s have limited writes. There will be constant writes and reads. I am afraid that the SSD-s won't survive.
        And the SSD-s that can survive for at least 3-4 years are 4x the price.
        I still do not trust the SSD-s, when server applications are concerned.
        Last edited by televizora; 03-04-2021, 11:29 AM.
        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
          SSD-s have limited writes. There will be constant writes and reads. I am afraid that the SSD-s won't survive.
          And the SSD-s that can survive for at least 3-4 years are 4x the price.
          If you don't want SSD, go with just about any major brand 15k RPM...in a RAID (speed-wise), they won't beat a SSD, but they can keep up. Enterprise grade is pretty consistent quality across the board. Pick one and run with it.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            If you don't want SSD, go with just about any major brand 15k RPM...in a RAID (speed-wise), they won't beat a SSD, but they can keep up. Enterprise grade is pretty consistent quality across the board. Pick one and run with it.
            That's why I am asking about first hand experience. Sometimes there is something that is not written on the specs page. Firmware problems, other issues and problems. Lower than advertised MTBF and etc.
            I ask because I don't like the idea of just picking something.
            What concerns me that I like to test and prove that something is reliable before actually starting to use it in production environment. But with this kind of things I can't. I have to choose one and it must the the right one.
            Also, they all claim to be 10 000RPM or so...SAS drives...But I am sure that there is a difference as far as speed and reliability are concerned.
            Last edited by televizora; 03-04-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
              That's why I am asking about first hand experience. Sometimes there is something that is not written on the specs page. Firmware problems, other issues and problems. Lower than advertised MTBF and etc.
              I ask because I don't like the idea of just picking something.
              What concerns me that I like to test and prove that something is reliable before actually starting to use it in production environment. But with this kind of things I can't. I have to choose one and it must the the right one.
              Also, they all claim to be 10 000RPM or so...SAS drives...But I am sure that there is a difference as far as speed and reliability are concerned.
              I've had great luck with Hitachi 15k's. Seagate, is decent....but can be hit or miss for MTBF, I've had a few drop out in half their rated time (which is still a long life)..... Seagates are also noisy....but if they're stuffed in a rack room, that's probably not a factor.... The key to long life of a 15k is cooling....make sure the drive cage is breathing well.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                The key to long life of a 15k is cooling....make sure the drive cage is breathing well.
                It will be in server room with aircon at 14C. Inside a server...

Comment

Working...
                X