mkp to mkt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mkp to mkt

can i replace on amp a mkp capacitor with mkt the same mf and voltage?

Re: mkp to mkt

"mkp" is metallized polypropylene, while "mkt" is metallized polyester. The two dielectric materials do have differing properties, so interchangeability depends on whether the circuit or the amplifier needs polypropylene capacitors or not. My inclination would be to replace with whatever was used originally, but whether that is practical for you there in Greece, I do not know.

My guess is that if you replaced mkp with mkt the sound quality of the amp might be affected. Whether enough to be audible even to someone with "golden ears", I do not know.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Simple answer is no don't do it, you can but not recommended.

Comment

the caps is not on audio cirquit it is on power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by spiros.p View Post
          the caps is not on audio cirquit it is on power supply.
          It's still a somewhat complex question. If the part is in a compensation network for the control loop, substituting may be OK. If it's in a snubber network or filtering for a PFC circuit, I would recommend against substituting.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
          X