Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Did anyone else try this? What were your impressions?

First, a word of caution. Only install it on a system that has no data that you can afford to lose. One installed, you cannot remove it. I was expecting this, and took precautions. If past experience is any guideline, when the release version is available you may not be able to install it over the preview.

My initial reaction was underwhelming. Logically, when using a smartphone or tablet you expect to see some loss of functionality due to the small screen. Migrating the same limited functionality to the large screen seems counteproductive. I fail to see the advantage of having to scroll across the screen to find an icon.

Because it was installed on a clean system, there were no third part applications to try, but the supplied apps seem to have the same 'menu free' philosophy. I'll be playing with it some more to see if there is a hidden advantage I'm missing, but so far it eludes me.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

From what I read I don't want anything to do with Windows 8. The Aero interface in seven is bad enough. I think Windows 8 would only bring out the Schizophrenia in me.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Comment

Can this be installed in a virtual machine?

I don't like the new interface either. I guess Microsoft thinks everyone uses tablets or HP's all-in-one touchscreen computers.

Comment

http://pureinfotech.com/2012/02/29/h...e-workstation/

yes

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
          From what I read I don't want anything to do with Windows 8. The Aero interface in seven is bad enough. I think Windows 8 would only bring out the Schizophrenia in me.
          Well, it certainly brought out the frustration in me!!! I'm sure some of this was due to a new UI, but it really seems like a step back when all the icons are spread across three screen widths. There IS a menu that can be brought up - but only if you are on the first of the three screens.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I've posted it before, but here it is again: http://lifehacker.com/5840324/switch...indows-7-style
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I haven't seen Windows 8 but from what I've read I want to stay as far away from it as possible!
              From best to worst IMO:

Windows 2000 Professional (NT 5.0)
              XP x64 Professional / Windows 2003 Server (NT 5.2)
              Windows 7 (NT 6.1)
              Windows XP (NT 5.1)
              Windows Vista (NT 6.0)
              Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM.
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

2003 Server was good and better than XP (aimed at a totally different market tho), but 7 is better than XP. This comes after 2.5 years of daily use. And XP was better than 2k, today if you want to run 2k you need a whole lotta crap on top of it to even get it to recognize all the devices in your computer.

I also don't understand all the hate on Vista - sure, the x86 version sucked for people who were still running a P4 or AXP, but i used the x64 version for 3+ years on my main computer and only last year upgraded it to Win7. It worked just fine.
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I reworded my post a little, and fixed the glaring error of putting XP infront of Win7.
                  Actually I'm undecided on if I want to put XP and Vista on a tie.
                  It's just sooo easy to trash XP.
                  Not that I do but the people I help to fix their shit once they've hit a bad link, the mess is usually catastrophic on XP, it's much harder to kill NT v6.x like that...
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

You're talking about user errors not system errors. Totally different animal.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post

First, a word of caution. Only install it on a system that has no data that you can afford to lose. One installed, you cannot remove it.
                      HUH? You can't uninstall it or reformat the drive?

I dont even use win7 on my personal machines yet. Win8 isn't even on my radar. IMO, MS is jumping the gun on this bigtime. Win7 hasn't even really had time to season/mature, and they're already shitting out a new OS. My desktop PC isn't a tablet, nor do I want it looking or functioning like one.....so I'll pass.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

After testing W8 on VMWare, I think I'll pass too.
                        I think W8 is more suitable for tablets with a touchscreen than normal desktop PCs.

Sure, you can disable Metro (at least, for now, don't know if they will leave that option in the final version) or just use Desktop mode, but then W8 looks much like W7 with almost no new features.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          HUH? You can't uninstall it or reformat the drive?
                          You can reformat. And you can also remove it without reformatting, albeit in an unofficial way. http://pureinfotech.com/2011/10/10/h...-step-by-step/

Comment

On the more sinister side, there are articles now floating about to suggest that Windows 8 will likely have a "kill switch" to allow Microsoft to remove or disable programs they don't want you using, in the same way that Amazon can delete ebooks from your Kindle without your permission.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                              I also don't understand all the hate on Vista - sure, the x86 version sucked for people who were still running a P4 or AXP, but i used the x64 version for 3+ years on my main computer and only last year upgraded it to Win7. It worked just fine.
                              I agree. Vista (Pro , not Home) is just fine. My only 2 gripes, the print spooler is a but unstable, and it's way too quick to say some program is "not responding" when you really just need to wait for a few seconds.
                              Otherwise, it's stable. Yes they moved a bunch of stuff, but user profiles SHOULD be under users, not documents and settings... Much better once you get used to it.
                              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Vista is only stable once you get SP2 installed.
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                  Vista is only stable once you get SP2 installed.
                                  I upgraded from XP Pro SP3 32-bit to Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit, OMG vista is so much better!

Comment

^ Poor diluted child.

I will keep XM alive as long as humanly possible!! My quest for every system that crosses my bench is for it to be cured of its vista/7 disease!!

As for the tablet market, I'm just not sold on them yet.....I'd rather have my netbook running shovenose's favorite OS (WinXP) than a tablet with anything on it. I like having a mechanical keyboard (touchscreen keyboards annoy me to no end). Microsoft wants in on the rapidly blossoming tablet market, nothing wrong there....but tailoring their OS's for use on tablets is asinine IMO. Having a tablet VERSION of their flagship OS is great (ie, Win7 Tablet or something along those lines), but never take away from the PC.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      I will keep XM alive as long as humanly possible!!
                                      Umm I know you love satellite radio, but they were bought out by sirius ages ago...

(you meant XP I assume)
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
                                        They actually merged into one...

You assume correct.....bringing XM up in this thread?! Typographical error....or I just had a song stuck in my head...no tell with me @ 2am...
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X