Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I ruin this?

Emergency question!

On this PSU Board for a Monitor, Between R403 and ZD406 there is a capacitor leg.

I used Red and Blue pen in the picture to point at what I believe is traces connecting these three parts together.

If I pulled a pad off removing that capacitor can I just solder that one leg of that capacitor directly to the leg of R403 and ZD406 or use one of those circuit pens to reestablish a connection or is my PSU finished?

This really sucks. I believe I pulled the pad right through the hole with the capacitor wire.

Does the leg closest to the outer edge of the PCB between R403 and ZD406 connect both R403 and ZD406 or does it only connect to R403?

Am I correct in thinking I can repair this or is this a done deal?

I was close to half done removing capacitors when this happened.

I included a picture so you can see what I am talking about.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by abeeftec; 04-09-2014, 04:00 PM.

Re: Did I ruin this?

I wouldn't mess with a circuit pen, just solder a new wire on there.

If you had to tear a pad, that was a good one.
    Last edited by clearchris; 04-09-2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
      I wouldn't mess with a circuit pen, just solder a new wire on there.

If you had to tear a pad, that was a good one.

Do I have to solder an actual wire or can I just stretch the solder over?

Also, Does it go between both ZD406 and R403?

you know since this happened I have learned to flux every damned thing! Whodda thought, Flux! .

Comment

Wire is best... solder can crack if stretched.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          Wire is best... solder can crack if stretched.
          Thanks to you both! I really didn't want to fork out 60 more dollars to fix this monitor that I already paid far too much for!

Comment

One more mistake.

One of the two pictures included shows a Capacitor leg with a red dot.

Can someone tell me what components surrounding is it connected to? I also believe I broke this pad as well?

I think there is a difference between what appears to be a raised line(trace maybe?) going from the leg to R713 and what appears may be a line but not a trace going to both Q704 and R712?

Am I correct? I need to know what to connect this leg to so I can consider myself finished and test this board.

I included a picture of my board with what I believe is a broken pad in that area.

I soldered 22 joints and this is the first time I ever soldered with the exception of when I had no clue what I was doing and tried to solder a power jack back on.t sucks that I broke these pads but I now know what not to do and believe even if I destroyed this PSU it would be worth the learning experience.

Also one last thing, IS flux capacitive and do I have to clean it all off before starting the board or can I start it and let it burn off? LOL. I just don't know how to clean the flux off without an alcohol bath
            Attached Files
            Last edited by abeeftec; 04-10-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abeeftec View Post
              I think there is a difference between what appears to be a raised line(trace maybe?) going from the leg to R713 and what appears may be a line but not a trace going to both Q704 and R712?

Am I correct?
              I can't say for 100% sure, but I think you are right. At least, it looks so to me as well. However, if that hole under it is for the other lead of the capacitor, then this makes me wonder what exactly is the capacitor doing in that circuit. Just the way that resistor R713 is connected makes it appear as if the capacitor isn't doing anything (which we know can't be right, otherwise the manufacturer would not put it there and save a cent or two).

Would it be possible to provide more pictures? (and possibly higher quality too). Also, two clear pictures of the overall PSU board (both top and bottom) would help to see where this capacitor is located and hopefully also find its function (so that way we don't have to double-guess what it is connected to).

Comment

I actually was correct. ODDLY!
                I put it all back together and so far so good!
                After changing 23 Capacitors (2 of which were on the mainboard) the monitor powered on and the power button issue is gone. I am now waiting to see if the snowing after 45 minute issue and the black out flashes stop too.

Thanks!

Comment

Good so far. Concerning the flux, it's not going to burn off in normal operation. Alcohol will dissolve it without damaging the board.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                    Good so far. Concerning the flux, it's not going to burn off in normal operation. Alcohol will dissolve it without damaging the board.

Thanks!

I alcohol bathed the board. Was a bit scary but 91% has a pretty fast evap time.

It has been running for 3 hours now straight without issue. It wouldn't go 45 minutes before being recapped.

Also the power button was pushed on and off about 30 times and not one mishap! I couldn't push it 3 times before the recap without it not working and needing to be pushed a bunch of times to get it to come on.

Seems fixed. But I still want to give it a day of full run time and have someone game on it for a few hours to be certain that its solid.

Comment

Good work

Comment

Working...
                      X