FS Amilo M3438G to Pi 1536 transplant 1 long beep now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS Amilo M3438G to Pi 1536 transplant 1 long beep now

After the hassle of the mobo/gfx issue of the m3438g i posted about before i got hold of a mobo/gfx card/cpu from an amilo pi1536. Initialy the swap worked great and i stumped up the cash for an ATI hd3650 to go in it. Before this went in though the following issue reared its ugly head...

Powered off normaly, next day powers up and just beeps for 2 seconds then all the num, caps etc lock lights flash and it reboots.

I have so far...

1. Reseated ram, cleaned ran slots with iso alc, substituted with known working ram.
    2. Ditto above with the gfx card [tested and working in another machine]
    3. New CMos battery.
    4. Tried crisis recovery with floppy [power on while holding ctrl & home] but unsure if it completed [left it for 10 mins] but also depends on what bios is used. Some reboot, others dont.
    5. Swapped out the Core 2 Duo for several other single core's
    6. Fresh application of AS5 to both hotspots.

Edit, this youtube clip shows the exact problem another person is suffering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYdQQ...feature=hp_SLN

After a good hammering of google it seems that the amilo isnt the only version of the Uniwill P53IN that suffers this.
    Alienware m5550i -R3's and Rock Pegasus 665's all have the same issue. One person resolved it temporarily with a stripdown and rebuild after doing all the above things i did.
    But, It seems to be a cold solder issue as the next day when it was cold the fault reappeared seeming to indicate a break in connection.

Is one 2 second long beep a consistant indicator of a memory issue? Should i be looking in that area of the board for cold joints? or is it possible its a BGA failure of the intel chipset? [past experience of that sort for me was a board that was virtualy dead with just power lights, but who knows]

The fading beep after the initial first one as seen in the video clip seem to be dependant on what bios is flashed.
    I had it with the AW 2.06 version but not the FSC. It currently has the Peg 665 2.10 bios which does not make the fading beep sound.

Cheers Guys
    Last edited by KountZERO; 03-15-2010, 08:52 AM.

Re: FS Amilo M3438G to Pi 1536 transplant 1 long beep now

Reflowed the solder jumpers last night to no effect. Board is currently out and rigged up on jig, initial probing with prodder seems to show no bad joints as yet.
    Im wondering if the cmos is corrupt but is not being cleared by removing the battery as when it is booted in recovery mode it seems to function correctly.

Comment

Could the 1 beep and reboot be down to AS5 getting on the smd components on the gpu/cpu dies? I read elsewhere on here that some people have problems if they dont mask off the area with heatproof tape when using a copper shim instead of heatpads?

This 1 beep/reboot issue seems pretty common but noone seems to be offering a solution or a cause

Comment

Stripped cleaned and reseated everything, masked off the gpu and cpu but no change.
        If you wach the lights in the clip it seems to check all the devices as if it is a normal post but fails right at the point of the display initiation [the gfx card is definately ok btw, works perfect in the old mobo] ATM it has been flashed with fujitsu pi1536 1.25 bios which gives the odd muted beep behavior.

I wish i had access to a post card that fits mini pci express, the only thing i can do is guess at what is wrong by comparing the post inits for pheonix bios against what i can see light-wise. Noone seems to have a clue what causes this fault even tho it seems very common among the rebrands that use the P53IN chassis.

Please, any thoughts would be welcome.
        Last edited by KountZERO; 04-07-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Switched back to the m3438g motherboard, and godam it the gfx card seems to have a corrupt vbios now >.< ATIFLASH and Flashrom cant find it and when i run gpuz in windows it jsut shows FFFF's for model etc...so thats a tale of woe in the making.

Got the pi1536 motherboard rigged up in the base unit it came in but what i dont understand is when there is not gfx card installed it still reboot loops as before, that tells me it is not related to the vbios issue. Other amilos i have had the "pleasure" of working on have all just booted to windows when no display is available.

To narrow things down a little i have flashed the mobo back to stock FS bios, just got one sodimm installed and no other devices apart from a usb floppy.
          Do the symptoms point to cold solder/bad smd caps. Im just thinking that the reboot occurs just as the screen should initialise at the end of the post sequence...especialy now the vbios is corrupted, that seems like a good indicator to me.

Comment

Working...
          X