common notebook fixes/mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: common notebook fixes/mods

How reliable are the 7200rpm laptop drives?
    I worry that they'll run too hot in a laptop designed for a 4200rpm. I also wonder if they're more sensitive to shock.

Comment

I haven't had any problems with mine so far. It's a Scorpio Black, so it has a 5 yr warranty. (Excellent for a laptop drive!) Granted, I only have 118 hours on it. According to SMART it's idling at around 30c. After a full read test it's at 35c. This laptop was designed for a 5400rpm drive, but there is no active cooling for the HD. I've seen some laptops where one of the intakes pulls across the top of the HD. In these laptops, I'd have no worries whatsoever.

Oh, and any effect on battery life was negligable for me. You might notice if you went from SSD to 7200rpm or vice versa, but the jump from 5400 to 7200 made no noticeable difference.

In the c640's, I've come across old 4200rpm drives running at 60c. I've found many of these flagged in SMART as being overtemp. The 5400rpm drives I replace them with run at normal temps (30-35c).
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I don't have any laptops that take SATA.

I think the only 7200 RPM lappy drives I have are SATA and I use them in caddies.
        I get Seagate 7200.1 which are pre-perpendicular recording.
        So far they've been fine but I don't put many miles on them.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Here's an interesting tip. According to Dell and every website I've seen, the Latitude c640 laptop supports a maximum of 1gb of memory; 512x2. I had a faulty Corsair stick that I sent in for replacement, and they sent back a 1gb stick. Not thinking it would actually work, I decided to test it anyway. Sure enough, it posted and detected it. So, I threw another 512 in it, and it picked up all 1.5gb. Been running memtest for almost an hour with no errors.

I'm not sure if it would support a full 2gb or not, as I only have one of the 1gb stick.
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

That situation is very very common.
            Even Crucial's website usually gets it wrong.

What happens is like this:
            When the Latitude c640 was first released 1GB sticks didn't exist yet, or were rare, or the official standard governing their specs wasn't finalized yet.
            So, Dell printed published their tech-docs not mentioning 1GB modules because they weren't able to test them in the laptop.
            Then:
            - Dell never updates those docs after 1GB modules become common.
            - And Crucial and all the others go 100% by those docs so their info is wrong.

If you really want to know what will work then look up the tech docs for the chipset on the mobo. Usually if the chipset supports more RAM the mobo will too even if nothing says so.
            [Once in a while a BIOS issue will keep it from working, but not usually.]

That same sort of thing has happened over and over with every new advance in RAM.
            -
            There are LOTS of mobos with 440BX chipsets that say in their docs that the board will only support 384MB, 512MB, or 768MB when in fact they can take 1GB as long as it's 4x 256MB Low Density modules.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Oh,
              And that Latitude c640 has a i845MP chipset.

You have to look here on the 9th page for 'the truth'.

- It can support 2 GB RAM

>>>>>
              - Maximum of 2 Double-Sided DIMMs (4 rows populated) with unbuffered DDR200/266 (with or without ECC) Note: Mixed mode, populating ECC and Non-ECC Memories simultaneously is not supported.
              - 2 GB Maximum using 512 Mb technology
              <<<<<<<

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

I've got one: (no fix though)

Compaq Presario X1000 series - This computer was a Intel Pentium M with Intel wireless (Centrino brand) plus a video card ATi 7000/9200* on daughterboard. It seems that the video card would eventually start failing about 3 years into laptop ownership. The reason is heat, the question is what the heat affected. Usually pushing down hard on the spot right above the F6 key would temporarily cure the problem. Some said their cards warped, and needed to be pushed in harder, so they used rubber washers to exert more force on the video card. Some people have had luck doing a BGA reflow with a heat gun. What I think, however, is that there was a problem with the cards substrate, causing the card to break down under high heat. I have no evidence to support that claim, however, other companies (NVIDIA) had the same problem at about the same time. Oh, and there was a BIOS update from Compaq that reduced functionality - The F42 or 44 BIOS removed the ability to use 3rd party Wireless cards. It was after the Compaq buyout, I'm sure HP had a hand in it.

* About the video card - it seems that the card was actually a Radeon 9000 overclocked to a 9200s specs. When several people on the X1000 forums approached a Compaq representative, their attitude was basically, "Hey, you know the Centrino is a AGP 4x chipset. Why would we put a AGP 8x part in there? We overclocked it to match the 9200s speed for you". When the users complained louder, and started talking class-action, the response, was basically - well, TFB, you should have done your homework. The users groused a bit, but finally gave up. Besides, what will a class action net you, except a (laughable) coupon for another crappy Compaq?

Comment

Oh and another one (going back a bit - 13 years or so). The Apple PowerBook G3 Bronze Keyboard (Pismo), had a notoriously bad cold solder joint to the DC jack on a tiny power/sound board. The DC jack on a PowerBook resembles a Television A/V connector and frequently when plugging the thing in, you will hear sparking. If you try to avoid the sparking by plugging the DC jack in first, then plugging the AC part in, you will fry the PMU (Power Management Unit) circuitry. Frequently, the forces on the DC jack would snap the cold solder joint and leave the DC jack and sound board rattling loose inside the PowerBook.

A quick resolder will fix the joint, but depending on whether the unit was on, you might have to purchase a new sound board, which was about $300 ten years ago.

Oh, and should you have to replace an internal battery (PRAM battery) in an older PowerBook (small and typically 3.5V), be prepared to take the thing entirely apart to get to the battery slot under the wrist rest in most cases. These batteries tended to die quickly if the PowerBook main battery was not kept charged. In fact, their service tech manuals specifically mention that they can die within two weeks, if left in a hot car - I wonder if Jobs did that?

The fix for that one was a bit more extreme, charge/replace the batteries, then reset the PMU (but only once!), zap the PRAM and listen for the Happy Mac sound. Good times.

Hope that helps someone.

Comment

Maybe we could turn this into a troubleshooting guide for laptops I have a thing maybe two that I could contribute to this guide...

But I will say personal repair and troubleshooting can teach you a bundle very quickly.

I just think this thread is way too important to let die ratdude747 you sure have started a thread that I would like to see some contributions to...

I would like to ask a question to see if anyone has encountered this problem and were able to fix it but I will save that for another thread so I do not wind up with a double posting...

EDIT: ON SECOND THOUGHT I WILL KEEP IT HERE.

Has anyone had a laptop that would not power up with DC power or a known good battery known good psu no lights no nothing if you did and were able to fix it what was the problem?
                    Last edited by infringer; 01-03-2010, 08:53 PM.
                    Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Comment

ok I got 2 of them.
                      First is a Dell D510 if i remember right. The battery from the factory is a 4320 MAh battery, the new or replacement batteries were either 4700 or 5200, cant remember which. The problem comes that once you get the new battery, it will not work in the system until you do a bios update. I have one here. even after doing the bios update, i had to turn the compute on, and then go into the bios after doing the bios update and installing the new battery to get it to register the new battery. If you don't, it just registers that the battery is bad and needs replaced. If you don't do the bios update, it will not even charge the battery.

Next is a Sony Vaio (cant remember which model exactly but came with XP on it) The RAM cover and slot is about 1 or 2 inches from the front, going side to side, it is right in the middle of the laptop. There is a thin plastic shield that protects the RAM from shorting out. When you grab the laptop from the front and in the center to pick it up a lot, the plastic shield wears down and then shorts out the system. I have a friend that this happened to and it acted just like the motherboard was fried. almost went looking for one when i noticed that there was a small burn mark on the door. Put a little piece of electrical tape on that spot, and the thing booted right up. My question is what idiot designed a laptop that put the RAM slot right where a lot of people will be grabbing it alot. A door is not something you want to pick it up by. I looked at the newer models about a year later.. not one of them had any kind of a slot in that spot. Makes me wonder if they had a lot of complaints..

PS.. that Sony Vaio.. it now has a dead motherboard. Does not boot or do anything, does not matter where the power cord is plugged in or not.. makes me wonder if it had anything to do with the RAM shorting out earlier..

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                        Most common "mod" i suggest to people is a new HD, even if their old one isn't dead. memory upgrades will only take a laptop so far. Most of the time with an old lappy, the most you should go is 512 until you upgrade to a larger, 5400rpm drive. The old 4200's choke the system so badly, you don't notice a difference from 512 to 1gb!
                        I can only partly agree with this one. If you run something like 256MB, then a lot of times the RAM will do much more then the hard drive. but on the other end of things, IF the drive runs something like ultra 33 and the board supports higher, then just going to something like ultra DMA 66 or 100 will do more then the faster speeds of the faster RPM's of the newer drives.. I have seen that one many times on desktops.. someone putting a 4 or 8x ROM in a 1 or 2 gig processor system. The slowness of the ROM slowed the whole compute down so much it was not even funny...

Comment

Originally posted by infringer
                          Maybe we could turn this into a troubleshooting guide for laptops I have a thing maybe two that I could contribute to this guide...

But I will say personal repair and troubleshooting can teach you a bundle very quickly.

I just think this thread is way too important to let die ratdude747 you sure have started a thread that I would like to see some contributions to...

I would like to ask a question to see if anyone has encountered this problem and were able to fix it but I will save that for another thread so I do not wind up with a double posting...

EDIT: ON SECOND THOUGHT I WILL KEEP IT HERE.

Has anyone had a laptop that would not power up with DC power or a known good battery known good psu no lights no nothing if you did and were able to fix it what was the problem?
                          start a thread.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

hehe I will I suppose sorry if you feel as if you have been hijacked here it seemed like you did a good job kicking it off already. ratdudeman316

Anyhow will do sorry to intrude dude. Could be the start to a wizard of a thread no?

Sorry for kickin the chicken here I will start my own thread I suppose.
                            Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                              start a thread.
                              Start a site.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

most common laptop in europe with graphics issues see them everyday
                                  hp dv 6000-- reflow graphics card 90% of the time it will come back the real fix for this is lift the graphics card reball the solder but reflow will keep it going for a while most hp laptops have this problem

fujitsu siemens amilio-- very weak dc jacks all the time breaking

there is also a dell laptop im not sure if the model i will get it later the problem is bad design the vents get badly blocked and results in faulty hard drive with in 3 weeks has been tested even from new harddrive th only fix for this is once a month blow out the laptop trust me it will help

there is a list of stuff from all makes and models i will do up a list of stuff that we see over and over again and post it up here

Comment

Working...
                                  X