Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Computer Displays
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2005, 06:43 AM   #1
willawake
Super Modulator

City & State: Αθήνα
Default Request for Opinion on some broke Sony CRTs

I have the following monitors and they are all broke. I would like an opinion on whether the repair costs would be high or not. They are out of warranty so I would use a monitor repair shop.

Sony G200 17" FD trinitron - doesnt power up, orange led only. Worked fine then that happened one day.
Sony 15" Trinitron - screen was getting progressively dimmer now unusable
Sony 17" Trinitron - was taking many tries to power up each day. Was powering up but not making the strong ping of the display initialising until after the 7th try when it would power up, the display would come up but wavy and then the display would appear ok and it would work fine. Now only gets the green led then a click and the orange led. Nothing else.

any ideas which one(s) to take. I know it is difficult be give me some idea. Basically they are closing the store room at work so all broke stuff has to be either repaired or dumped.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:15 AM   #2
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

The first one... Does the amber LED blink or is it on constantly?

The second one (15"), check for filament voltage on the CRT. It should be about 5 volts. If filament voltage is present, and the filaments light up, it sounds like the CRT may have bit the dust.

The last one, sounds like flyback.

I quit repairing monitors years ago, they're so throw-away today... However, there's always salvation for a good Trinitron!!

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
willawake
Super Modulator

City & State: Αθήνα

ah no i messed up, the FD trinitron is completely dead. Pity, that was my favourite monitor until I got the samsung 173p. Miss the DVDs on the FD though the sammy doesnt have the speed but it surpasses the FD for static images...hail PVA matrix . Now with sammy 710v's on sale (my new office monitor) not so much reason to resurrect the old stuff. but i could use another one or two lab monitors if it does not cost too much to fix the sonys. I guess the 15" is toast though.
willawake is offline   Reply With Quote