Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 42LV5500 - horizontal line (got picture and sound after CPU reflow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 42LV5500 - horizontal line (got picture and sound after CPU reflow)

Hello badcappers,
    This is my first thread here. Sorry if it's not in the right section.

I got a LG 42V5500 TV for free. The indicator lit blue, when turned on, but no picture and sound. The guy who gave it to me said that it was repaired and stopped working after 1 week.

I disassembled the TV and start troubleshooting.
    All the voltages seemed fine. I've read in an old topic here that those LG's have a problem with the CPU on the motherboard. I removed the board and the heatsink and it was clear that someone tried to reflow it.

I have a hot air station, but never have reflowed anything. I just put some thermal tape on the SMDs below and around the CPU (LGE35230) and heated it for few minutes at 280C, then let it cool down and voila - there was picture and sound. Now the TV is working for 20 hours straight. I wonder if I should by the CPU (it's 10$ on Aliexpress) and get it rebolted professionally (I got an offer for about $30).

BUT there is another problem. There is a green horizontal line on the left part on the screen, not visible on black picture. I've cleaned the ribbon cables with a rubber and a brush, but that didn't fix the problem. One of the ends of the ribbon cable has few lines (i don't know if this is the correct term) looking kind of strange but appear to be making contact with the boards.
    I would appreciate your suggestions on how to get rid of the line and If I should order a new CPU and have it rebolted or rely on my fix.
    Attached Files

Re: LG 42LV5500 - horizontal line (got picture and sound after CPU reflow)

Can you post a picture of that funky looking ribbon cable end?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
      Can you post a picture of that funky looking ribbon cable end?
      Sure
      Attached Files

Comment

No problems in the red circle?
        Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't look too good, I've seen some trim off a little and make it work, never had to try it myself tho.
          Last edited by nomoresonys; 11-23-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yokoono View Post
            No problems in the red circle?
            Didn't quite get your question

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
              Doesn't look too good, I've seen some trim off a little and make it work, never had to try it myself tho.
              The tv is working after the reflow, just one horizontal green line

Comment

Working...
              X