X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hp G42 QUANTA AX1 battery drains even after shutdown

MODEL:HP G42
    PLATFORM:QUANTA AX1
    PROBLEM:BATTERY DRAINS BY MORE THEN 50% OVERNIGHT IN SHUTDOWN CONDITION.
    BATTERY:NEW ORIGINAL HP
    ADAPTER:HP ORIGINAL 65W

PQ55/PQ3/PQ4 are tested ok out of circuit. Battery charged perfectly and dischages correctly when powered on with more then 2 hours of backup.

The strange thing i noticed is that there is supply on 3V & 5V regulator coils even when laptop is off and only battery is connected(no adapter). I beleive it should'nt be the case and perhaps the reason for battery discharge overnight. EnableLDO is present on 3/5V PWM even when OFF.

I can give any measurements you want. Please advise.

Re: Hp battery drains even after shutdown

How much voltage is on the Enable pin exactly?
    Maybe, it got stuck on a high voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
      How much voltage is on the Enable pin exactly?
      Maybe, it got stuck on a high voltage.
      ENABLE LDO comes through PD15. One side is VIN and the other side goes to enable pin of pwm. On VIN side +14V, On PWM side-+5V(measured with battery only. If u connect adapter VIN changes to +19V. So nothing wrong in voltage values. Question is should'nt the enableldo pin be zero after shutdown??

Comment

I think the LDO output (+5VALW) must be On after shutdown. According to the schematics, there must be supply on +5VPCU and +3VPCU when the laptop is off.
        Is this the case when the AC adapter is connected (no battery)?

Among the other voltage rails, is anyone On unexpectedly such as +3V (PQ20) and +5V (PQ42)?

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
          I think the LDO output (+5VALW) must be On after shutdown. According to the schematics, there must be supply on +5VPCU and +3VPCU when the laptop is off.
          Is this the case when the AC adapter is connected (no battery)?

Among the other voltage rails, is anyone On unexpectedly such as +3V (PQ20) and +5V (PQ42)?
          Thanks for responding. yes i too felt that +3VPCU & +5VPCU will remain after shutdown but couldnt find any other reason so thought might be it should not be on after shutdown.

No unexpected voltage rail is present after shutdown-only +3VPCU/+5VPCU remains. USBPWON# is 3.3V which is also correct-so no drainage of battery from usb port also.I've checked all the dc-dc transfer in off condition on battery and nothing is transferred. I've probed the mb to the best of my ability and could'nt conclude the reason for battery drainage.

Hope someone else has faced the issue and may help me.

Comment

Remove the WLAN mini-PCIe card @ CN18 and test again.

Comment

Considering the fact that this model of laptop is old, it is possible that the battery was being stored in a storage for years. this may be a possible reason that the battery lost its strength. What is the production year of the battery?

Comment

Battery is brand new and HP original. This very battery works on Quanta R33 motherboard and doesnt drain overnight. So battery is not the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                  Remove the WLAN mini-PCIe card @ CN18 and test again.
                  Will do and update. This seems possible as this mb wasnt supporting any wifi card. So i flashed main bios with no whitelist.The wifi is now working but may be its causing issue.

Comment

Wifi card removed but battery still drains like before.Overnight from 100% to 55% next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                      Wifi card removed but battery still drains like before.Overnight from 100% to 55% next morning.
                      Check the bios settings, if you have a usb power-share function (having power on USB ports while the laptop is switched off) turn it to disable/off.
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                      Become a Badcaps supporter
                      >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                      Thanks to all supporters.​
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Thanks@vesko356 for responding. I already checked that and mentioned it earlier that USBPWON# is stable 3.3V and there is no power on usb port in standby mode.

Comment

Re: Hp G42 QUANTA AX1 battery drains even after shutdown

Problem almost resolved by uninstalling "Intel Management Engine" driver. Now battery drains from 100% to 85% overnight. This is acceptable to client so delivered it. Thanks to all who responded in this thread or on PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                            Problem almost resolved by uninstalling "Intel Management Engine" driver. Now battery drains from 100% to 85% overnight. This is acceptable to client so delivered it. Thanks to all who responded in this thread or on PM.
                            Weird. Was the CPU the original or upgraded to another
                            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Original . i3-370

Comment

Interesting. Should name it Intel mis-Management Engine driver.

Would the download from HP not have offered a suitable chipset driver package, including this driver?

Or perhaps a more recent one from Intel would have worked?

Comment

@Mon2, I tried 2-3 drivers from HP website for intel me but didnt worked. With driver installed, battery drains to half overnight. I read it somewhere on net that removing intel me driver may help -so went ahead and it worked almost.

Comment

Working...
                                  X