MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013 no chime or boot but green light on charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013 no chime or boot but green light on charger

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15" here, with light on charger but does not boot with or without battery installed. Can anyone provide assistance?

I checked these rails:

PPDCIN_G3H - 19.80 (20V mode)
    PP3V42_G3H - 3.41 (20V mode)
    PPBUS_G3H - 12.56 (20V mode)
    PP3V3_S5 - 3.32 (20V mode)

These look okay to me, where should I look next?

Re: MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013 no chime or boot but green light on charger

What is the 820-xxxx markings on your logic board ?

Any liquid damage ?

What is the history of this unit ?

Comment

Hi mon2,

820-3787-A.

No liquid damage.

Previous owner reported they changed the battery and then it developed an unknown logic board fault after.

Comment

Ok.

See attached. Meter in DC volts mode (5V or higher is ok).

Check the voltage readings (with adapter & battery connected) of:

SMBUS_BATT_SCL
        SMBUS_BATT_SDA

@ D7050, pin # 1 and # 2. Black meter lead to ground. Red meter lead to diode pin.
        Attached Files

Comment

Probable pry damage around trackpad during removal of battery (probably shorting a rail etc). Disconnect everything except magsafe connector, and see if it starts up. Recommend getting a chipmunk USB tester if you don't already have one.

Comment

I removed all components and still no boot. Without battery connected, LED on charger is orange not green, is this expected?

Comment

Pin 1: 3.4V
              Pin 2: 3.4V switching to 3V back to 3.V constantly

Comment

Possible is just bad probing on Pin 2, showing 3.3V to 3.4V oscillating on re-test

Comment

check voltage on L7520 after plug in power; check if it pulse (stay with probe for around 30 seconds after plug in power.
                  check voltage on U1950 (possible fault in here )

Comment

Why not go through the list of power rails as usual?
                    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

L7520 pin 1 showing 5V and no pulse.

I apologise, is wrong board. Is actually 820-3362-A!

Pin 1 on U1950 showing .023 on 2V mode!

Comment

I checked PP1V5 on pin 1 R8135, is showing low voltage, not 1.5V and multimeter is pinging that it is shorted to ground

Comment

L7870 showing 0.91V on pin 1, think is a bit low?

Comment

Can anyone help?

I noticed PP1V5_S0 is very low, showing only on 300m mode.

I looked at U7810, PP3V3_S5 is okay at 3.3V but pin 8 is coming out as 300m as above.

I already replaced U7810 and the issue remains - I also replaced all components in this circuit.

Comment

I apologise, is wrong board. Is actually 820-3362-A!
                              Unable to locate this board - is it 820-3462-A ?

No U7810 in the schematic...

Comment

820-3662

Comment

Ok, after a bit of a chase, for future readers, the schematic to use for the 820-3662-A is the 820-00138. Makes perfect sense to me

Measure the voltages of points 1, 2 and 3. Post each reading.

Then remove all power -> meter in resistance mode -> measure the resistance to ground of L7870, pin # 2.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                    Ok, after a bit of a chase, for future readers, the schematic to use for the 820-3662-A is the 820-00138. Makes perfect sense to me

820-3662 schematics are available. 820-00138 is a different board. (2013 vs. 2015)
                                    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thanks. Need a GPS to navigate this thread with the assorted board numbers.

XinZhiZao has the A1398 820-3662 schematics and boardview files.

The above regulator schematic (U7810) is still relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post

Measure the voltages of points 1, 2 and 3. Post each reading.

Then remove all power -> meter in resistance mode -> measure the resistance to ground of L7870, pin # 2.
                                        Pin 1: 3.32V
                                        Pin 2: 3.22V
                                        Pin 3: 0.58V

L7870 resistance: 3.75 on 20k mode.

Comment

Working...
                                        X