330S-15IKB Components to replace along with shorted power MOSFET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

330S-15IKB Components to replace along with shorted power MOSFET

Hello. I'm currently working on a Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB that has no power, no power light, dead. I found the schematics and I'm seeing proper voltage at the drain of the first DC IN MOSFET and nothing after. After doing some research and finding the power supply troubleshooting guide in this forum. I tested the second DC IN MOSFET and it's shorted from drain to source. My main question is since I'm new to doing this, I thought I heard somewhere that any time a MOSFET goes, you're supposed to replace the controller as well. That may not be right but I want to check if there's anything else I would need to replace with it. I don't want to just replace the MOSFET only for it to blow again. I can upload the schematics I'm using if I need to, or if there's other info you need let me know.
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 08-25-2021, 07:16 AM.

Re: Components to replace along with shorted power MOSFET

We also encounter different models. When the second mosfet is short-circuited, it is enough to change it.
    I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

^^ +1 on that. Most designs 2012 or later use very high value resistors on the gates of the mosfets in the DC-in circuit so unless there is liquid damage, the charging IC will be fine 95% of the time and replacing the shorted mosfet is the only repair required.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        ^^ +1 on that. Most designs 2012 or later use very high value resistors on the gates of the mosfets in the DC-in circuit so unless there is liquid damage, the charging IC will be fine 95% of the time and replacing the shorted mosfet is the only repair required.
        Ok, great. I see from the schematic I'm using the gate and source have a 4.02k ohm resistor on each of the pins to the charging IC. So basically if there weren't resistors between the MOSFETS and the IC then that would need replaced too?

Comment

When the mosfet goes completely short, it usually takes out the gate driver as well if IT is coupled directly or via a low value resistor (less than 50 ohms). Most dc/dc converters use no or very low gate resistors because they need to switch the mosfets very fast. The DC-in circuit only needs the mosfets as on/off switches, therefore it doesn't particularly care how fast they act, hence the use of large value resistors on the gates.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

When the mosfet goes completely short, it usually takes out the gate driver as well if IT is coupled directly or via a low value resistor (less than 50 ohms). Most dc/dc converters use no or very low gate resistors because they need to switch the mosfets very fast. The DC-in circuit only needs the mosfets as on/off switches, therefore it doesn't particularly care how fast they act, hence the use of large value resistors on the gates.
            Ok, that makes sense. Appreciate the in-depth response.

Comment

Great explanation! Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X