socket 775 forever... no, no, no...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: socket 775 forever... no, no, no...

As far as 2 slot G41 MB goes I've found it's usually cheaper to get a DDR3 version that supports 2x4GB DDR3 Modules. 4GB DDR2 modules do exist. But non FBDIMM, and 512x64
    configuration are hard to find, and very expensive. I've run X5470 Xeon,8GB DDR3 1066, and GTX1060 3GB on a G41 Dell Optiplex 380. I save my 4GB DDR2 for systems that support 16GB of RAM, although I stop at 12GB to save some money.

Comment

I have a Precision T7400 (actually was 690 but now with T7400 motherboard) and I put 32GB of FBDIMM (only 30€), it also has a couple of quad cores. Pretty nice machine, downside is of course that it's huge and draws a lot of power, while performances are still miles behind a modern platform... so if you really need a bunch of RAM and good performance it makes much more sense to look at something more recent.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

true alas trying to use this stuff that exists as much as possible... no more investment Would be nice to get some machine with fbdimm support...

Right now I'm depending on my ddr3 machine if I need to run large jobs. Just wondering if I should sacrifice some ram in this box so I can get another ddr3 box more RAM or not...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          Would be nice to get some machine with fbdimm support...
          Then you have the tradeoff of those; which is extreme heat and heavy power consumption. There were some chipsets that ran Reg/ECC DDR2 (intel 5100 for example), they were a bit friendlier on that front....albeit not extremely easy to find....and non-existent on the consumer front....you're still going to be looking in the workstation & server markets....but the chipsets support up to 64gb to 128gb and the RAM for them is filthy cheap! These are typically LGA771 systems, which can be had for peanuts nowadays....but a system doomed to 8gb RAM is kind of the pits these days if running Win10, 8gb has reached the point with Windows that it's entry-level.....I cringe at the thought of a W10 system with only 4gb...even moreso if it doesnt have a SSD!!

FWIW, Mint still does just fine on a 775 system with 4gb RAM.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I still have 2GB Linux systems... but for my quad core machines, I've killed them with less than 8GB for Gentoo: 2GB per core so I can run all 4 cores for builds without worrying about running out of RAM. However if I waste a core or two, I can run with less, much less...

I haven't decided yet what I want to do with a new to me i3 dual core board, whether 4GB is fine or do I need to get it to 6 or 8GB to allow for the HT threads to get their full potential. Alas I don't want to buy 4GB DDR3 DIMMs, mainly because this board only has 2 slots. If somehow I ran across one for nothing or somehow got my spare 4GB SODIMM to fit in this machine, that would be great...otherwise I need to find a cheap 8G DDR3.

And that is ridiculous that w10 requires 4GB... which I don't know as I've yet to touch a w10 machine.

Comment

FBDIMMS open a memory channel for each module.This gives huge bandwidth possibilities. But each module has it's own memory controller, and this adds huge latency,power and heat issues. Intels Skulltrail 2xCPU unlocked Xeon systems used it, and were considered just about useless for gaming due to this. The more you take advantage of the bandwidth, the worse the latency gets. Add in some overhead for ECC and it's as bad as it gets. The 4GB FBDIMMS are the reason why 4GB DDR2 Intel RAM is so rare. Very few machines used it back then.
              X58 with the memory controller on the CPU, and 3 channel memory was a much more versatile solution.

I run modern GPUs in my old systems. I always take into consideration the amount of RAM the GPU has. My Opti 380 had some issues in a few benchmarks with a GTX1050Ti 4GB card and 8GB DDR3 which would seem to be enough for WIN7 and a 4 core Xeon. But a GTX1060 3GB solved the issue by allowing 5GB for the 64 bit OS. A32 bit OS probably would be fine with the 4GB card. For a 6GB GPU I will have 12GB RAM on board. The GPU can take memory addresses form the top down for texture caching. Even using memory a 32bit OS can't use. Even with a 32bit OS and a 2GB GTX750 I'll have 6GB RAM on board.
              Last edited by Retrorockit; 02-25-2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I've had an ASUS P5Q-E in my pc for... 10 years? 12? Two years ago I had to replace it (for an identical board), but only because the PSU took it out as it went. I use a Xeon X5460 in it, though, there was a time when these were much cheaper used than the Q series.
                Just my .02$.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

FWIW, Mint still does just fine on a 775 system with 4gb RAM.
                  Yep, just like good ol' XP x64 Edition, which will also run well with 4 GB of RAM.

Because NT 5, unlike NT 6/10, will not take 512 MB to 2 GB of RAM just for itself when idle at the desktop, before opening anything else!
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-25-2022, 06:34 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Speaking of the Xeons, other than cost, for a 1 socket system, what advantages are there for them?
                    Trying to compare the Xeon X3360 and an Core2 Q9550, wonder which is better... or are they identical with a different IHS?

Comment

Forever starts with Socket 7.

Comment

Agreed. Still have a DIY converted Super Socket 7 machine that's running off a completely rebuilt Torrent Computers LC-B400ATX PSU. Don't really remember what parts I used on it but I know the CPU in it is a rather rare K6-2+ 500, and it's an actual 500MHz part and not a downclocked 570MHz chip.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

My 2007 dell precision workstation 390 is still alive and has been my workhorse. It has the LGA 775

I upgraded the processor to Intel Core2Quad QC6600, had 3 hdds and 1 kingston SSD and 4GB AMD FirePro WS5100, 8GB ram since 2014.

Only time it failed on me was due to my fault. I transferred to a new apartment and plug it in 110V (kaboom). I managed to fix the PSU and never ever experienced any problems with it.

I even got a newer model Dell Optiplex SFF 7050 with i5 and 16GB ram but decided to let go of it and keep my old school precision 390 for what its worth in giving me the reliability i need.

The only thing did was to dust it off occasionally, couple of times i replaced the thermal paste of the CPU and GPU.

Comment

I think all my machines are "reliable" or at least the goal is that all of them to be reliable. Any unreliable machine gets dismantled or repaired...Can't stand machines that can't get every bit I put on it back.

8GB is still my 'median' and 'mode' due to all those S775 machines I still have. I think my machines' average is higher than 8 now due to the few DDR3 machines that all have gone past 8GB (16 or 32GB seems to be the next barrier...depending on DIMM count...)

Comment

I wouldn't put Q9xxx quads out of the equation, even more so as I've had a Q9400 before my actual i5 -3470(and still have the Q9400 CPU, as a matter of fact!) and it ran absolutely great. Gigabyte is the brand I would go with, although I suppose you could probably get away with an good ASUS or DFI (assuming DFI made DDR3 based LGA775 boards).

DDR2 wise, kinda the same choices, although I would also give the higher end MSI boards a few chances. By premium, I mean those "P35 Platinum" and "P45 Platinum" kind of boards - there's probably X38 and X48 as well but I don't think I have seen any, as of yet
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

I'm still using Core2 Quads, they do fine... though they are being run up by my old dual core i3 and i5.

I think I'm running Q45/P45 boards pretty much for the C2Q's... and my non quad core S775 CPUs are all out of boards now (minus the flaky i915 board, don't think it will take a C2Q anyway.)

Comment

FWIW here's essentially some C2Q action running W11 with ease! Long live the 771/775 platform!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=96
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                  Team : 49813
                                  Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                    I wouldn't put Q9xxx quads out of the equation,
                                    ^this, though at this point unless you already have the hardware or get it very cheap/free, allot of the earlier core i5/i7 stuff is selling for around the same price points on the used market these days, especially the 4th gen and older i5/i7, though with Microsoft announcing that Windows 11 would only officially support 8th gen and newer intel "core I" series (with a few select higher-end 7th gen chips thrown in) even the still very capable 6th/non-supported 7th gen chips have taken a hit in value.

Though admittedly even the best Q9xxx quads can only come close to matching modern low-end laptop CPUs, so while they're still capable of "basic computing" (office apps, web-browsing, etc.) and even "heavier" tasks if you aren't in too much of a hurry, most modern-ish hardware will run circles around them:

Attached Files
                                    Last edited by dmill89; 11-02-2022, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I still find it sick what people are making machines run these days... so much emulation...

Comment

well... first off, the intel stock cooler is garbage and warps the hell out of the board. so one thing to make these boards last is to get a better cooler preferably with a backplate. i recently got a gigabyte ep35-ds3p board off junkbay and the intel stock cooler warped the board by some 30 degrees or so. and either the thermal paste had dried up or the stock cooler wasnt making proper contact with the cpu maybe due to the warpage and the cpu was overheating to 80+°C idling at the bios. i yanked the intel stock cooler off and didnt bother cleaning it or repasting; one-third of the heatsink was caked and blocked off with dust. i just stuck on a japanese scythe zipang cpu cooler on it instead.

i also remember many years ago, my brother also had a p4 prescott-2m 3 ghz on an msi 915pl board. after several years, the cpu heatsink was blocked off and completely caked with dust that it overheated the cpu to over 95°C until it auto shut off due to the built-in thermal protection. had to clean off the heatsink and repaste the cpu. after that, it still worked fine with no problems despite the overheating episode earlier. so its nice to see two 775 boards that overheated still working fine.

however, a word of warning, dont abuse those boards or they wont last. nothing lasts if abused. case in point, i had a gigabyte ep35-ds3 that i stuck a qx9650 into. i overclocked it till 4 ghz @ 1.4375v (which was quite a high voltage to run for penryns as the absolute max limit in the intel docs was 1.45v), until it had a faint burning smell coming from it. despite that, it still ran fine on prime95 with no errors for a few days. i returned it to stock speed but after some months, i noticed random hanging and freezing. i could also no longer enter cmos setup. the keyboard is unresponsive until the os loads. a closer inspection showed that there was discolouration underneath the pcb where the cpu vrm mosfets were, so the mosfets were overloaded and overheated from overclocking the qx9650 to 4 ghz despite me putting heatsinks on the mosfets for added cooling during overclocking. the qx9650 still worked fine in another board. so i guess overclocking is more stressful for the board than it is for the cpu.

a common question i see on local tech forums here in singapore is how long an overclocked cpu will last? but that is the wrong question being asked. its how long a motherboard running an overclocked cpu will last? i have several overclocked cpus and one of them has outlived and gone through 3 motherboards, so its no doubt cpus are quite tuff even being abused. its the motherboards that are the weak link being abused.

Comment

I have this one at home

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...ES2L-rev-11#ov

Most boards you find that has any Nvidia chipset is probably dead
                                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                          X