Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Topcat's Other Misc Weird Build Thread

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
    You know there is supposed to be no funding limit for your photography passion right?
    Just go out a buy any of the Sigma DP range of compact DSLR's, they have some amazing tech to resolve complex light situations.
    Just don't blame me when you find out it is useless for anything else bar that though
    LOL...not as expensive as I thought it would be!!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I bought a Sigma DP2 second hand for around $100 a few years ago.
      I don't regret doing so, because I now cherish my Canon EOS 40D even more
      That said it is a pretty cool camera once you get the right situation.
      The flaws are way too many to list though.
      I'm sure the newer models are much improved though.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Today's weird build arrived yesterday in a pile of old systems that were dropped off.... 3x 486's (2x IBM PS/2's and a custom built) and a pentium classic; IBM PC 300GL type 6282.

Naturally, I started with the P-Classic IBM 300GL. It's sporting a Pentium166 & 128mb RAM; the max RAM it can take. The P-166 was an absolute workhorse of its era....definitely worthy of a little resto work.

Filthy but in good physical condition.

Cracked it open. Somoene upgraded the video from the useless 1mb onboard cirrus logic to a 8mb Matrox Millennium....big bucks for the time! It had a dialup modem as well....I yanked that and added the NIC (period-specific 1997 3com). The modem was tossed into the e-waste bin.

Both the 1.44 3.5" floppy drive and the 2.5gb western digital HDD were bad. The 1.2mb 5.25 floppy is good. I replaced the 1.44mb and the failed HDD with a 6.4gb WD I had on hand....smallest HDD of the period I had that wasn't in use.

I won't go into all the gory details....but it cleaned up nicely and functions as well as can be expected for as old as it is with a fresh install of NT4.

Butt shot....as if by some miracle, I even got the case keys with it....a first for any IBM I've ever gotten.

Web browsing on this is no treat....but BCN still displays on old junk!!

That's all for today....chalk up a win for the retro fleet!
        Attached Files
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

We had similar ones in high school, but without the 5 1/4 disks. Win98 se
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Naturally, I started with the P-Classic IBM 300GL. It's sporting a Pentium166 & 128mb RAM; the max RAM it can take. The P-166 was an absolute workhorse of its era....definitely worthy of a little resto work.

That's all for today....chalk up a win for the retro fleet!
            not a bad rig to play half-life 1 on. hl1 should be cutting edge for this system!
            Originally posted by Sierra
            Half-Life
            Version 1.1.1.0
            Readme File
            6/12/02

********************************************************************
            About This Document:

This document contains last-minute information about Half-Life, including questions you may have concerning the game or your computer. If you have a question, check to see if it is addressed here first: you may save yourself a call to Technical Support.
            ********************************************************************

I. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
            II. GENERAL TECHNICAL ISSUES
            III. GENERAL GAME ISSUES
            IV. 3D HARDWARE ISSUES
            V. CONTACTING SIERRA

I. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
            Windows(r) 95, Windows 98 or Windows NT 4.0
            Pentium 133+, 24 MB RAM
            SVGA, high color (16-bit)
            2x CD-ROM drive
            Windows-compatible sound card
            Mouse, keyboard

Comment

I did notice that the onboard GPU has 1mb RAM and 2 sockets for another 1mb in RAM chips; 2mb total... Makes me want to pull the millennium, add another 1mb to the onboard and then toss a voodoo1 card in the PCI slot that the millennium once used... That would even play quake 1 smoothly.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

It's sporting a Pentium166 & 128mb RAM; the max RAM it can take. The P-166 was an absolute workhorse of its era....definitely worthy of a little resto work.

Filthy but in good physical condition.
                I remember coming across a Pentium 166 for the group home PC at Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center. It sure was one of the late-1990s' greatest hits!

And, of course the same for when I saw a Pentium 133 on the same campus! Windows 3.1x ran like a lightning bolt! (IIRC)

But, when my family by 1997 got a Pentium 133 system, I was still so happy! Even when not as fast as the 166. Came with 16 MB of EDO RAM and in what was likely 2000, it got upgraded to 48 MB!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-01-2022, 10:13 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

my old boss was buying a p1-100 @ frys and they were out of stock, so the guy went into the back and came up with a p1-233, he just took it and it rang up for the price of a 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                    my old boss was buying a p1-100 @ frys and they were out of stock, so the guy went into the back and came up with a p1-233, he just took it and it rang up for the price of a 100.
                    At the time, that was a huge deal....huge upgrade and huge price difference!
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Reminded me of 2004, where I was still happy with 256 MB of DDR1 SDRAM, but the guy I was with, told me that it was out of stock, so I was able to get 512 MB of PC2700 DDR1 SDRAM, LOL. (most likely in the summer)

Was the year of that T-bred 2400+ KIXJB upgrade, which I think is 2004 chip revision, (04xx, 0415, IIRC) spanked my T-bred 2000+ AIUCB that said "02" on it, which I think means 2002.

I got the old T-bred 2000+ on July 1, 2003.
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-02-2022, 11:57 AM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

At the time, that was a huge deal....huge upgrade and huge price difference!
                        That was the point of my reply. He was figuratively jizzing in his pants when he saw that

Comment

This one sold today!!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...8&postcount=77

<--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Going back some pages... looks like I missed quite a few builds here. Gonna re-read and come back to them. But first, this one.

Forgive me computer gods, for I have sinned....but keep in mind, this was done to mock someone that bragged about spending $100 on RGB fans & lighting! I found that to be absurd. My 'mock' cost less than $10.
                            This is what I mean when I say I hate the "real" modern stuff - you just buy everything and slap it together, then muck around with software. $30 case fans and $10-30 per LED strips. It's stupid!
                            What you showed with this build is exactly what I mean about PC building being more fun back in the day - if you were creative, you could do it for a lot less and still get stellar results. The same stands even today... but alas, the PC industry is trying to milk every penny out of it and make you think you need to spend crazy money to get the same RGB lighting that everyone has (I'm talking about those silly cases with the 2-3 fans in the front with rainbow RBG fans. )

Momaka is going to disown BCN over this one!! Red & Blue 12v LED tape. The stock Antec fans have blue, so I went with more blue, and some red to create a little contrast.
                            LOL!
                            Quite the contrary, actually.

I never said I don't like LED lightning. Just not the modern barfage with the rainbow colors going nuts (i.e. like this.) When case lightning is tastefully done, I do appreciate it - even on a fully black case (as mentioned in the past, I'm not a huge fan of all-black cases with all-black components inside... but do make exceptions, of course.)

Looks good to me!

Still, I like the way the lights reflect inside the Apevia case better.

With the case closed, at no angle looking in the window can you actually see any of the LED's; which is critical for making this look half way decent....for as ricey & ghetto as it already looks!! Yes, this project aggravated the 'intended target' (not a member here). I spent $10 shipped for the two 10' reels of LED tape, and I used very little....maybe 3 feet combined
                            Nice job! And wow - 10' LED rolls now go for $5? They were about twice that last time I bought some for an experiment with a TV (don't ask! )

so at $0.50 per foot it cost ~$1.50 compared to his ridiculous $100....but here's where the sin mentioned in the opening paragraph came into play...I actually enjoyed this!!!
                            Yeah, but you had to do so much work with your mods , whereas his $100 LEDs would have been a matter of just plugging in and installing the software. How can that not be more fun?!
                            /sarcasm

Well this was critiqued today by none other than my 24yr old daughter who said it looked awesome, but the blue was a bit overbearing.
                            Now that you mention it... I think she's right.
                            Definitely a good suggestion on her part.

Looks like those attention to details genes run in the family.

Add a little more red if you can....so I pondered....and pondered....and didn't come up with much until I inadvertently realized there was a plastic air guide on top of the CPU heatsinks that basically allowed a 70mm fan to be used on a sink intended for 60mm.... THis raised the fan off the sink a good 30mm; leaving plenty of room between the fan & sink.....and BAM!! The light bulb...err, LED lit up!
                            That's actually a brilliant idea! I think I might borrow it for one of my builds. It also has this type of air guide as well... though I'll have to see if that will work there or not, since the guide has a divider in the middle.

Now to wire them into power....and the reason I used such long wires... I routed these down to the lower right corner where the unused 4-pin +12v connector was tied out of the way (the board uses the larger 8-pin). I then stole the 4-pin connector off a junk motehrboard.
                            Those are always handy indeed. The older non-HDMI Xbox 360 motherboards have them for their dual fans, so I also have a few spares myself.

I rarely do it this neat, though (actually, did I ever? ) If there is a spare floppy connector, that's usually my choice of power source - take two long leads from new capacitors (I save all of the cut off leads from new caps after I install them) and solder wires to these. Some hot glue and misc scrap wire for insulation and... those are my connectors. A little sloppy, but overall an improvement over just shoving the wires in a spare molex plug.

...and now the real test...and again bear in mind that these pics look like shit.....I guess I don't know the secret to correctly photograph something like this with no flash....

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1653271122

That solved the overwhelmingly blue issue!
                            Very very nice!
                            The red lights in the heatsinks is actually a really cool idea. Definitely going to try that if I have a build that will have LEDs. So far, I don't have a single complete PC with lights inside it. The Pac-Man one would have been a good candidate if it had a clear side panel. But I won't cut it just for that. It's a good retro case.
                            Now, I do also have quite a few PCs in my fleet that never came with side panels. I've thought about doing one or two of them with silly lights... but alas, it's just not a priority. I have too many other projects to catch up on (some non-computer/electronics related ones too.)
                            Last edited by momaka; 01-18-2023, 09:57 PM.

Comment

New user here. and subscribed to this thread. I love obscure build threads. i about shed a tear over the dell AIO with the digitizer cracking. probably my biggest fear working on those things. thankfully knock on wood i have yet to break one but ive only done a few.

Comment

Originally posted by charleslam View Post
                                New user here. and subscribed to this thread. I love obscure build threads. i about shed a tear over the dell AIO with the digitizer cracking. probably my biggest fear working on those things. thankfully knock on wood i have yet to break one but ive only done a few.
                                Welcome to the site and stay tuned! I do have a few silly builds waiting in the wings!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Here's another for this thread....and if your first question is why did I waste any time on this, don't bother....I don't have an answer. This is a Dell XPS 410 that was one of about a dozen random junk systems that were dropped off this week. It's a gutless wonder with a C2D @ 1.8GHz and 1gb RAM. GPU is a Radeon HD 2400....Talk about a lemon! ...but I've always kind of liked the styling of these cases....but being that oddball BTX form-factor, even with my case surgery skills there's not much I can really do with one....so I have to use what I have available.....so lets take this lemon and make some lemonade!!

I didn't even power this up, as I knew what would be wrong with it....

Motherboard out for recapping. I only replaced the KZG & KZJ. The 680uF 16v were KMG, a series that's not prone to failure....so I left them alone.

Case inside wasn't too bad. Dusty, but the air hose cleaned it well enough. No need to wash it.

Recapped and then tested in the oven. It worked.

Lets rummage through the bin of C2D & C2Q CPU's. This board can't run anything faster than 1066 FSB..... I had a C2Q Q6600 @ 2.4GHz in the drawer, perfect! The fastest it could take would be a Q6700 @ 2.66GHz....but I'm not spending the $18 on one when the Q6600 will do fine.

I also knew I had to crack the PSU open.....and imagine that, bad caps...

Recapped.

This PSU was a real pain to work on. Nothing unplugged and there was just too much extra crap to desolder....so I had to work with it half ass still assembled. It looks like a lite-on build.

Going back together....and a few other upgrades..... A double-slot GPU can actually fit in this.....

Time for the mystery period-specific GPU to sign in!

I had 4gb of RAM in the bin....I guess I used up all the 2gb modules, all I had was 1gb. No biggie really. I'll install Win7 on this, 7 on 4GB ram is just fine.

Butt shot... I deleted the rear header for the PS2 & serial ports, as I accidentially tore the ribbon that connected it to the mainboard. It wouldn't release from the plug and the ribbon pulled out of the plug. Oops....ohh well, I always use USB anyway.

Time to light it up....

I removed the drives that were in it. One was a 160gb Samsung, the other a 320gb WD. I replaced them with a 120gb Crucial SSD for the OS and a 1TB Toshiba for junk.

Installed Win7. Its been a while since I've worked with 7, I was a little rusty with it....

...and that's that! Time wasted on a pretty worthless system.....but ohh well.

Specs:
                                  Dell XPS 410
                                  C2Q Q6600 CPU
                                  4GB PC2-5300
                                  Geforce 9800GT 512mb
                                  120gb SSD + 1TB HDD
                                  Attached Files
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

I like it!

Actually, this is essentially what I thought about doing with a Dimension E510 (or was it 520?) that I got some years back. It was the same thing like yours, but minus the "dedicated" GPU and no HDD included. Otherwise, bad caps in the PSU and on the mobo just like yours. I didn't end up doing any mods or upgrades to it yet, though. Just fixed it up and set it up as a spare PC to have around. It plays older (<2006) games nicely with a better GPU.

...but I've always kind of liked the styling of these cases....

The big 120 mm fan on the front is also nice - pulls cold air from the front and dumps it on the CPU. Also pulls some air through the HDDs too. What I don't like about this setup, though, is that there is no exhaust fan other than the PSU. So these cases do get somewhat hot inside. I also have a Dimension E5150, which on the outside is the same thing as the E520, but the motherboard is a i915 chipset (IIRC) and won't take anything better than Pentium 4 and Pentium D. I have a 130W TDP Pentium D 830 that member Pentium 4 sent me a while back. Always wanted to use that thing, but it needs some serious cooling. Luckily, I found a spare 6-pipe cooler with the rest of the junk where I picked up that PC. So the goal is to replace the P4 CPU on that E5150 with the D830. I know what's the point of wasting time on something like that today. But the case does look pristine otherwise... and like you said, I also like the styling.

That being said, I've flipped the front fan on the E5150 to pull air from the case and dump it out front. Haven't had enough time to play with it to see if that makes the cooling any better, but I'll get there one day.

Here's another for this thread....and if your first question is why did I waste any time on this, don't bother....I don't have an answer. This is a Dell XPS 410 that was one of about a dozen random junk systems that were dropped off this week. It's a gutless wonder with a C2D @ 1.8GHz and 1gb RAM. GPU is a Radeon HD 2400....Talk about a lemon!
                                    Hey, at least it's not a Celeron with integrated graphics and Windows Vista (not uncommon for that era.)

I didn't even power this up, as I knew what would be wrong with it....
                                    Yup.
                                    If there was a chance anyone would have saved one of these to still use it, chances are it died due to bad caps. Sad, because the rest of the HW is build really well on these machines.

Lets rummage through the bin of C2D & C2Q CPU's. This board can't run anything faster than 1066 FSB..... I had a C2Q Q6600 @ 2.4GHz in the drawer, perfect! The fastest it could take would be a Q6700 @ 2.66GHz....but I'm not spending the $18 on one when the Q6600 will do fine.
                                    Yeah, not worth it.
                                    In today's times, the difference between Q6600 and Q6700 is negligible, particularly to online browsing. And a Q6600 can be had for <$10 all day long - essentially 2x cheaper.

I also knew I had to crack the PSU open.....and imagine that, bad caps...
                                    Sounds about right.
                                    I find 2nd tier/brand caps in OEM PSUs from that era never to last too long. The same Ost, Ltec, CapXon, and Teapo caps from just a few years earlier usually outlasted them.
                                    Again, it's a shame, because these OEM units are pretty solid otherwise - no APFC to worry about blowing up the primary cap(s).

This PSU was a real pain to work on. Nothing unplugged and there was just too much extra crap to desolder....so I had to work with it half ass still assembled. It looks like a lite-on build.
                                    It is.
                                    That being said, beware some of the Lite-On units from this particular era use an electrolytic cap for the primary-side main PS snubber circuit.
                                    It's rated something like 400V and 2.2 uF, and you can just about see it peeking with its top in the picture below, right next to one of the big caps on the primary side.
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1686366550

So if you get one of these units and it's acting "funky" with weird noises when you try to turn it on, check that cap. The one I had wasn't making any noise, but I did check the cap pre-emptively and it read high ESR (20 or 30 Ohms, IIRC.) I replaced it with a 2.2 uF (again, IIRC) polypropylene... which do cost a little more. But at least I won't have to worry about it again.

Going back together....and a few other upgrades..... A double-slot GPU can actually fit in this.....
                                    Cool!
                                    The only issue I run with these cases (at least the Dimension E520 & 5150) is if the GPU is too long - then it clashes with the CPU cooler shroud.

Time for the mystery period-specific GPU to sign in!

I like it - you got the dual-slot cooler version of these. The single-slot ones run blistering-hot and are retarded IMO. Whoever though it was a good idea to couple a 100+ Watt TDP GPU with a heatsink that's probably not even capable of cooling a Pentium 3 should reconsider their career.

Butt shot... I deleted the rear header for the PS2 & serial ports, as I accidentially tore the ribbon that connected it to the mainboard. It wouldn't release from the plug and the ribbon pulled out of the plug. Oops....ohh well, I always use USB anyway.
                                    Noooooo!!!!! I love PS/2 and it is always my first choice for KB/MS if the mobo has the ports. I wish my E520 & E5150 came with a PS/2 header/bracket, but they didn't When I went to look for one on ebay (some years back), $15-20 just seemed silly to spend on cable for a junk low-end C2D CPU. So I made my own, as I had a spare PS/2 header from something else (remember that boxy "lane server" PC I sent you - these don't have PS/2 connectors, so it's added by a header... which I believe I sent you one for as well .) Anyways, it was a bit of a PITA to make (I used ethernet cable and shoved one side of the cables into the PS/2 header's connector, and the other soldered to the blank PS/2/Serial header on the board)... but it worked! So now at least my E5150 has PS/2 ports. I need to do the same for the E520, but just never enough time for these silly small things.

I removed the drives that were in it. One was a 160gb Samsung, the other a 320gb WD. I replaced them with a 120gb Crucial SSD for the OS and a 1TB Toshiba for junk.
                                    Was the Samsung 160 GB one a pre-Seagate model? If so, keep it around - those are super-reliable, IME. Not the fastest, though... though not the slowest either.

Installed Win7. Its been a while since I've worked with 7, I was a little rusty with it....
                                    I had a moment like that with Windows XP the other day. Set it up on a PIII laptop I wanted to test out quickly while doing other stuff. After setup finished, I was like "OK, what else did I have to do now that I always do with my standard XP installs?" I really had forgotten how much simpler it was to set up XP and not have to deal with disabling a ton of crap like I have to with Windows 7. And my 15 YO flash drive still has all of the standard utilities and proggies I need for XP.

...and that's that! Time wasted on a pretty worthless system.....but ohh well.
                                    Specs:
                                    Dell XPS 410
                                    C2Q Q6600 CPU
                                    4GB PC2-5300
                                    Geforce 9800GT 512mb
                                    120gb SSD + 1TB HDD
                                    Oh c'mon, it's still not that bad of a system (anymore), IMO. Will easily browse the internet all day long. 4 GB might limit how many facecrook tabs one can have open (probably 2 max. ), but this ain't the kind of PC for "such people" anyways.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 06-10-2023, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      I like it!
                                      Gracias. I don't know what possessed me to pull this one off the pile and build it....but I did...

Actually, this is essentially what I thought about doing with a Dimension E510 (or was it 520?) that I got some years back. It was the same thing like yours, but minus the "dedicated" GPU and no HDD included. Otherwise, bad caps in the PSU and on the mobo just like yours. I didn't end up doing any mods or upgrades to it yet, though. Just fixed it up and set it up as a spare PC to have around. It plays older (<2006) games nicely with a better GPU.
                                      I haven't tried any games on it yet, but knowing what this CPU & GPU combo are capable of, it'll play some Q3A and UT like a champ!!

The big 120 mm fan on the front is also nice - pulls cold air from the front and dumps it on the CPU. Also pulls some air through the HDDs too. What I don't like about this setup, though, is that there is no exhaust fan other than the PSU. So these cases do get somewhat hot inside. I also have a Dimension E5150, which on the outside is the same thing as the E520, but the motherboard is a i915 chipset (IIRC) and won't take anything better than Pentium 4 and Pentium D. I have a 130W TDP Pentium D 830 that member Pentium 4 sent me a while back. Always wanted to use that thing, but it needs some serious cooling. Luckily, I found a spare 6-pipe cooler with the rest of the junk where I picked up that PC. So the goal is to replace the P4 CPU on that E5150 with the D830. I know what's the point of wasting time on something like that today. But the case does look pristine otherwise... and like you said, I also like the styling.

That being said, I've flipped the front fan on the E5150 to pull air from the case and dump it out front. Haven't had enough time to play with it to see if that makes the cooling any better, but I'll get there one day.
                                      I was surprised how cool it ran bumping it up to a quad core. Under the 120mm fan is another 80mm that cools disks and the south section of the case. Well laid out case, I must admit.

Hey, at least it's not a Celeron with integrated graphics and Windows Vista (not uncommon for that era.)
                                      I usually break those down and junk them....especially the ones with no slot options for upgrading GPU's.

It is.
                                      That being said, beware some of the Lite-On units from this particular era use an electrolytic cap for the primary-side main PS snubber circuit.
                                      It's rated something like 400V and 2.2 uF, and you can just about see it peeking with its top in the picture below, right next to one of the big caps on the primary side.

So if you get one of these units and it's acting "funky" with weird noises when you try to turn it on, check that cap. The one I had wasn't making any noise, but I did check the cap pre-emptively and it read high ESR (20 or 30 Ohms, IIRC.) I replaced it with a 2.2 uF (again, IIRC) polypropylene... which do cost a little more. But at least I won't have to worry about it again.
                                      Correct you are. Here's a better view of it, pulled from another angle; from the high-res pic:

Boggles my mind why thye used a cap versus a diode for snubbing (I don't recall seeing diode down there), so it had to be a RC snubber....but I'm sure they know things I don't. The unit was quiet (audible and on the scope), not that a failing snubber circuit would have shown noise on the outputs....but it did appear (and sound) to be functioning correctly.....but I confess, I didn't check it.

Cool!
                                      The only issue I run with these cases (at least the Dimension E520 & 5150) is if the GPU is too long - then it clashes with the CPU cooler shroud.
                                      This one cleared by a decent amount AFT of the card....but clearance with the shroud on top was close....but even the retainer bracket (blue thingy on a hinge) closed & latched correctly.

I like it - you got the dual-slot cooler version of these. The single-slot ones run blistering-hot and are retarded IMO. Whoever though it was a good idea to couple a 100+ Watt TDP GPU with a heatsink that's probably not even capable of cooling a Pentium 3 should reconsider their career.
                                      LOL...I concur....and funny enough, I had that exact card sitting here as a standby if the double slotter didn't fit. The card is actually good.

Noooooo!!!!! I love PS/2 and it is always my first choice for KB/MS if the mobo has the ports.
                                      Eventually I'll come across another one. I kept the header, it was just the ribbon that I killed.....

Was the Samsung 160 GB one a pre-Seagate model? If so, keep it around - those are super-reliable, IME. Not the fastest, though... though not the slowest either.
                                      Yes, it is pre-seagate. I wiped it and put it in the smaller HDD 'good' bin. I have a guy that comes by periodically looking for smaller SATA & IDE drives....I give him anything sub-500gb for free. THey're not worth fooling with trying to resell. Not sure what he does with them....but I get the impression he's a hobbyist.

I had a moment like that with Windows XP the other day. Set it up on a PIII laptop I wanted to test out quickly while doing other stuff. After setup finished, I was like "OK, what else did I have to do now that I always do with my standard XP installs?" I really had forgotten how much simpler it was to set up XP and not have to deal with disabling a ton of crap like I have to with Windows 7. And my 15 YO flash drive still has all of the standard utilities and proggies I need for XP.
                                      I haven't touched XP in a looooong time....I'd be really rusty there....but I'm sure it'd all come back to me. I still use XP for analog media to digital conversions; such as a record to MP3. I've just found older hardware & software to produce better results and actually easier to use.

Oh c'mon, it's still not that bad of a system (anymore), IMO. Will easily browse the internet all day long. 4 GB might limit how many facecrook tabs one can have open (probably 2 max. ), but this ain't the kind of PC for "such people" anyways.
                                      LOL.....I did look, 8gb of PC2 for this would cost about under $20 shipped.....I just didn't bother. Fwiw, this site can be viewed from a pentium classic on Firefox 2.xx!!
                                      Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Again, it's a shame, because these OEM units are pretty solid otherwise - no APFC to worry about blowing up the primary cap(s).

What purpose does this capacitor serve in a passive PFC device?
                                        Do you have a schematic that explains it?
                                        Incidentally I have recapped a PSU exactly like this too from a Dimension 9200, I think the cap was ok, but it was over three years ago so who knows today
                                        Last edited by Per Hansson; 06-11-2023, 06:00 AM.
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                          What purpose does this capacitor serve in a passive PFC device?
                                          Do you have a schematic that explains it?
                                          Incidentally I have recapped a PSU exactly like this too from a Dimension 9200, I think the cap was ok, but it was over three years ago so who knows today
                                          Sorry for the late reply.

It's the cap for the RCD (resistor-capacitor-diode) snubber circuit on the primary side for the main PS MOSFET.

Normally, I've only seen ceramic caps used for the snubber, since they are cheap and handle the high frequencies well. But they are always much smaller in value. Not sure why LiteON used such a high capacitance value. I'm sure there's a reason, though. These PSUs do work fine after all. It's just that the high value for such cap calls either for an electrolytic or a polypropylene film type. The latter option is more pricey, so probably that's why they went with a 'lytic there.

I did actually draw a circuit diagram when I saw this... but it's in my electronics notebook, which is currently a few thousand miles away.

Correct you are. Here's a better view of it, pulled from another angle; from the high-res pic:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1686457554

Boggles my mind why thye used a cap versus a diode for snubbing (I don't recall seeing diode down there), so it had to be a RC snubber....but I'm sure they know things I don't.
                                          They do have a diode in there. It's one of the heatshrinked parts next to the cap. So it is a full / proper RCD snubber circuit. Just not sure again why they did it with such a high-value cap. But like you say, maybe LiteON knows what they were doing and it's there for a reason. Nevertheless, I didn't feel comfortable leaving the original electrolytic cap in there when I checked it and it showed over 20 Ohms of ESR.

BTW, here is the post in the quality build thread for my PS-6311-2d2 [Dell L305N-00]:
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=2972

And the thread that shows the recap and the snubber circuit mod with a PP cap:
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72929

Yes, it is pre-seagate. I wiped it and put it in the smaller HDD 'good' bin. I have a guy that comes by periodically looking for smaller SATA & IDE drives....I give him anything sub-500gb for free. THey're not worth fooling with trying to resell. Not sure what he does with them....but I get the impression he's a hobbyist.
                                          Nice!
                                          Sounds like another retro PC head.
                                          Well, great to see you've found someone local to reuse these.

Most of my systems are still based on sub-250 GB spinners. The latter ones with 16M cache are more than fine with Windows 7 - not quite SSD -level boot times, but some do come close. The older stuff I relegate for XP.

I haven't touched XP in a looooong time....I'd be really rusty there....but I'm sure it'd all come back to me. I still use XP for analog media to digital conversions; such as a record to MP3. I've just found older hardware & software to produce better results and actually easier to use.
                                          I still daily-use XP whenever I can.
                                          Recently, I tried the Quantum-based (beta) version of Mypal on XP and it runs like a champ - exactly like Firefox Quantum would on Windows 7, but even faster. Haven't tried it on one of my more powerful XP machines, but if it does run like FF Quantum, I might be ditching 7 and going back to XP on some systems. A lot of software is dropping Win 7 support soon (including Steam). So if I have to make a choice between "unsupported" OSes, it would certainly be XP. I only ran 7 on some PCs because of FF Quantum / browser support. If FF drops Win 7, I won't be downgrading to 10 just for that.

Funny how XP is getting better and better 3rd party support with the retro community now.

Comment

Working...
                                          X