Adaptec 29160N+DFI LANParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert+memory remap=0x0000007B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adaptec 29160N+DFI LANParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert+memory remap=0x0000007B

With this combination, I got INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE when I turn on memory remap. Seems that nobody else combined such stuff together so there is nothing about this anywhere.

Both the board and the SCSi HBA are on latest BIOS. The wanted solution is to have full 4 GB of RAM and some 15k drive for OS (with an option of second one for programs and games). AFAIR the problem was with XP too so it is problem of this particular combination of HW, not the OS.

Solutions I could think of are using different 29160 adapters (PCI-X ones should not pose a problem, there is room for the extra slot pins) if it is in the 29160N only. In worst case, swap fan on graphics (wanted to do that anyway - it was originaly intented as second one for this ancient CM CPU tower) and put PCIe SCSi (or SAS) HBA in the second PCIe (with 2 lines at 250 MB/s but that's more than enough) as fortunatelly this board has two PCIe x16 slots (with only 20 PCIe lines though), hoping it will accept other PCIe devices than graphics.

If somebody else has any other idea besides geting SSD crapware (not acceptable as I have quite a lot of 15k hard drives so it's a waste no to use them), shoot
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Adaptec 29160N+DFI LANParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert+memory remap=0x0000007B

i used to use those 29160 cards.
    interestingly, my Linux bootlog said they where using the wrong interupt.

Comment

looks like the screwup is likely in the chipset: 20320C-HP card (reflashed to original LSI FW years ago) behaves the same, 7B with remap on, very slow and forever booting with remap off

trying PERC 4/SC at the moment, we'll see, but I have a feeling this chipset is one huge screw-up and I'll have to stick with some SSD (which won't work properly either as the chipset does not support full SATA command set and I remember the latest lievidia driver is screwed up for majority of nForce chipsets, but windblows drivers emulate IDE mode to the fullest - including just 133 MB/s speed :-o)

I can try to have a look after me PCIe version of that LSI SCSi 320 card, I think I may have it somewhere, or rather find some SAS drive and try with that with native PCIe HBA (as that SCSi card will likely use internal bridge or something), do have SAS HBAs here but no available drive
      Last edited by Behemot; 01-01-2022, 08:40 PM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

3 years and your still trying?

back when i saw the log showing the 29160 was using the wrong interupts i contemplated cutting some tracks and re-mapping the INT lines on the card to correct it.

Comment

think I touched it for like second time, but yeah, got 6 days of premium on tanks so been thinking I'd install it and take it with me so I can play the week, after work that's pretty much the only available almost-complete system I have here

(still did not manage to get to totaly disassemble me BD build to switch MoBo for higher OC, and put Phenom II BE X2 unlockable to X4 to the older board, which runs it very hapilly at 3,5 GHz…in 2 years :-o)

Comment

Ran out of good SCSI disks...

Comment

wanna some, got plenty, also plenty of cables and controllers, just on the SCA-80 to LVD-68 adapter side its very bad

Comment

I too have a collection of scsi disks; 50 pin, 68 pin and SCA 80 pin...as well as bins full of various controllers and tons of cables. New-old-stock 80 to 68 pin adapters are cheap on ebay if you're out. I use SCSI as much as possible in retro builds.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

I bought a bunch of those LVD68 to SCA80 adapters years ago, pretty much all of them were crap, did not work. Should have refund them but thought it was a cable problem... of which that sucks too. Finding a good lvd cable seems tough too, as well as a good terminator...

Eventually I ended up finding a 5 in 3 hotswap LVD-to-SCA chassis, and that is still plagued with the cable problem. Was using a 29160 with that to drive a small RAID5 but ran out of stable disks to drive that.

Comment

only ever got problem with ID settings really, once I managed to get some to lookup all drives, it was rock stable for like ever

still have no idea whats goin on with the nForce but must be one of the dozens bugs it was plagued with and this one likely was not ever found until me; it is also not asociated with plugging PCI-X card to PCI slot (which should be always working according to the standards anyway) as I have one 2160N which is only 32bit PCI, and it behaves the very same as ALL other PCI(-X) SCSi adapters I have tried in this stupid board

just BTW: Adaptec support site is different UNIVERSE compared to LSI
                    Last edited by Behemot; 01-02-2022, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                      just BTW: Adaptec support site is different UNIVERSE compared to LSI
                      True, there's still firmwares there for cards 20+ years old!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I've tried that LSI HBA with PCIe over PLX bridge, boots fine with hole disabled I think, gonna try enabled next time.

Strange things though, I've put graphics to bottom PCIe x16 because of larger heatsink and HBA at first to PCIe x4, which detected drive fine in config utility, but froze hard detecting in ordinary POST. Moving upwards to first PCIe x16 seems to do the trick. Being nForce 4 SLI, I think both slots have 8 PCIe lines now, that should be enough for HD 4830.

Comment

Hereby report it works fine with memory remap on!

Comment

Working...
                          X