Audio Driver MPC clientpro 414 Win7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Driver MPC clientpro 414 Win7

I've been dicking with this half a fugging day and never encountered such a fickle audio controller.

Hardware ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_84041584&REV_03

It's one of those FUBAR AC97/Realtek/soundmax/whateverthefuck audio chips that Windows (win7 x86 in this case) doesn't have an embedded driver for. I've tried a gazillion drivers already, none have worked.....The 'google' and DDG come up with nothing working thus far......even waded through some of those BS driver cesspools.....

Everything works in this beast but the audio....

I've gotten a few that actually 'take'.....but upon reboot, get code10 errors....I've tried all the 'usual tricks' such as disabling driver signing, etc....
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Audio Driver MPC clientpro 414 Win7

Via Vinyl. Fairly old. Microsoft driver repository only has them for xp
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

VEN_8086&DEV_266E comes up as an Intel ICH6 southbridge, but the fake driver websites say that it's a VIA chipset. (Those websites also say that the SiS 6801 I/O chip in one of my computers is an AC'97 codec, even though I can clearly see that the floppy drive is connected to that chip).

I didn't find exactly which codec SUBSYS_84041584 represents. Maybe it is a VIA codec, and I'm confused by the generic audio driver that was part of the old VIA chipset drivers.
      Last edited by lti; 04-22-2021, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        The system is an AIO, 915 chipset P4. I swapped the CPU out for a P4 @3.4 4gb RAM, has a dedicated Radeon x600 GPU and a nice quality 1280x1024 touchscreen display...and it's built like a tank. Win7 functions decent on it.....except that dumbass sound chip. I wonder if I can force the XP driver upon it.....it works sometimes if you disable driver signing enforcement for the install..... Thanks for the info, I'll try it tomorrow.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I have a similar MPC AIO... 775 Prescott unit, no touchscreen. It's in pieces at my parent's house; I tried hotrodding it with a GPU addition (it had a dummy GPU card that ran of the intel graphics) but that failed, and at the point, I stopped caring. Can't remember what OS I ran on it (whatever it was, it was SLOW, hence why it was never re-assembled, although I think I still have a box with all the removed parts???).
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

That was indeed it. The latest driver I could find from VIA had XP & Vista drivers, both x86 and x64.

Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              That was indeed it. The latest driver I could find from VIA had XP & Vista drivers, both x86 and x64.

yay I helped da boss!

really dude I usually look for the audio chip on the motheboard itself (in cases where I can't find a working driver). Some manufacturers use a modified devid string in the bios for you to download an OEM version from the system manufacturer, but the chip driver *should* still work even if it doesn't match the ID (just have to force the install)
              Last edited by Uranium-235; 04-23-2021, 10:45 PM.

Comment

yay I helped da boss!

really dude I usually look for the audio chip on the motheboard itself (in cases where I can't find a working driver). Some manufacturers use a modified devid string in the bios for you to download an OEM version from the system manufacturer, but the chip driver *should* still work even if it doesn't match the ID (just have to force the install)
                I guess I should mention that, using the executable installer, it wouldn't go. I did have to force the install using the .INF's and it started working immediately without a reboot. I don't know if the installer wasn't liking Win7 (Vista was the newest OS in the package) or if it was mismatches on HWID strings.....when I saw the installer error, I just clicked out of it and honestly dind't pay much attention to the error....I knew what was next..... LOL
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

I guess I should mention that, using the executable installer, it wouldn't go. I did have to force the install using the .INF's and it started working immediately without a reboot. I don't know if the installer wasn't liking Win7 (Vista was the newest OS in the package) or if it was mismatches on HWID strings.....when I saw the installer error, I just clicked out of it and honestly dind't pay much attention to the error....I knew what was next..... LOL
                  I've done that a number of times. Actually, I always try to get the inf working first before installing an executable. Except in cases that involve specific integrated programs and windows services (like intel HD drivers)

Comment

I guess just a FWIW....I wasted too much time on this....but ohh well.... I replaced the CMOS battery today, which was pretty major surgery but not as bad as I thought it'd be. I also stripped & repacked the double ball bearing CPU fan motor that was making all kinds of racket....quiet now.

I still need to find a power brick for it. My bench supply couldn't even keep up with the current draw of this thing (20v @ 11a).....so I used a Dell power brick rated at 19.5v @ 10.8a, which held just fine.....but atleast if I unplug it now, it remembers the time & settings....

I pulled the barrel plug from a junk dell board and used to gator clips to interface it with the system's plug.

It's running the last version of FF56 (everything 57+ is quantum core)..... 56 runs very nice on this....

Of course after some CPU & RAM upgrades:

It never had the WIFI option card installed (antennas were present), but it was nothing unusual....I stole a Broadcom card from a junk laptop and installed it....and now there's wifi! The floppy & optical are working as well.....I'll try to find some weird purpose for it.....but if I don't, it was fun getting it there!
                    Attached Files
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

The system is an AIO, 915 chipset P4. I swapped the CPU out for a P4 @3.4 4gb RAM, has a dedicated Radeon x600 GPU and a nice quality 1280x1024 touchscreen display...and it's built like a tank. Win7 functions decent on it.....except that dumbass sound chip.
                      Oh wow, that must have been a pretty decent AIO machine for back in the days. I mean, dedidcated x600 and touchscreen? That's kind of a rare combo. Most touchscreens of the time were just POS systems and hardly had any GPU capabilities or large resolution. So that's a cool save, to say the least.

I wonder if I can force the XP driver upon it.....it works sometimes if you disable driver signing enforcement for the install.....
                      Yup, that's always worth a try. Only works on Windows 7 x86 from what I know, though. Win7 x64, I think it's much more complicated to disable driver enforcing. This is the same reason I had to keep my parents' desktop on x86, because the Brother HL1440 laser printer they use doesn't really have a proper Win7 x64 driver. It's a PCL driver, so technically it should have worked on anything... but I just couldn't get it do that no matter what I tried. With x86, the XP driver worked just fine. On the previous desktop they had (Dell Dimension 3000), I had to do the same for the IGP (Intel "Extreme" Graphics 2 / i865 chipset) drivers, because there were none for Win7. The XP ones worked absolutely fine, though. Of course, I had to force-install them through the INFs and not through the EXE package - it threw an error immediately about OS incompatibility, IIRC.

I also stripped & repacked the double ball bearing CPU fan motor that was making all kinds of racket....quiet now.
                      Does that yield lasting results, though?

I tried re-packing BBs a few times, but they ended up quiet for just a few minutes. After that, they started sounding as if I had put sand in there - mostly running smooth (but loud), but then once in a while making "crackling" noises, as if the bearing stop turning momentarily. And I did clean the BBs from the old grease with brake cleaner. Perhaps the grease I used (some kind of old GP stuff, I think) wasn't good enough or the right kind? I also read that bearings with excessive wear/play will fail again, even after re-packing it with grease. So I'm curious about your method, as I have a lot of fan bearings that could use a "silencing session".

I still need to find a power brick for it. My bench supply couldn't even keep up with the current draw of this thing (20v @ 11a).....so I used a Dell power brick rated at 19.5v @ 10.8a, which held just fine.....
                      Interesting.
                      Perhaps there were current spikes at start-up that tripped it? Otherwise, that P4 Cedar Mill should be much more tame when it comes to power draw (only 65W TDP CPU, vs. 85-89W for the Press-hots - and that's estimated average power.) Maybe the x600 GPU was also adding to the mix, though (my guess for another 40-50 Watts or so.) In any case, 10 Amps @ 20V is 200 Watts... so I don't see how it could be drawing that much... which is probably why the Dell 19.5V power brick @ 10.8A had no problems. Perhaps you need to check the caps in your bench PSU?

It's running the last version of FF56 (everything 57+ is quantum core)..... 56 runs very nice on this....
                      It should be able to run Quantum too, since you got Windows 7 on it... though the CPU is still a single-core (with HT), so that may not help with the performance a whole lot, if at all.

It never had the WIFI option card installed (antennas were present), but it was nothing unusual....I stole a Broadcom card from a junk laptop and installed it....and now there's wifi! The floppy & optical are working as well.....I'll try to find some weird purpose for it.....but if I don't, it was fun getting it there!
                      Well, if nothing else, at least this could be a good example of what the first generation of AIO PCs looked like. I mean, WiFi, touchscreen, mid-range GPU, and 64-bit CPU? - This was high-end for the 1st gen of AIO's I remember first seeing at Best Buy (or was it Circuit City) almost two decades ago. Yet, it's still legacy/old enough to have a floppy drive. What a beast!

really dude I usually look for the audio chip on the motheboard itself (in cases where I can't find a working driver).
                      +1

I've had to do that for a few older motherboards. I can't remember what brand the motherboard was, but its website / web page had long gotten rid of the drivers and info on the board. So the quickest way (after wasting a ton of time looking for HW ID strings that lead to nowhere or drivers that didn't work) turned out to be to just look at the IC on the mobo and find drivers for that. Worked 1st time without issues.

I've been dicking with this half a fugging day and never encountered such a fickle audio controller.
                      Can't beat the SoundMax stuff in an old P4 Gateway PC I have, though. It's an XP-era PC, so drivers were easy to find for my OS reinstall - which was XP again. However, upon installation, the driver just wouldn't start no matter what... yet the original XP install (on a different HDD) with the same driver had no issues starting. Eventually, after running the machine for about a week to test some hardware, the thing started working in both OSes. Not sure WTF happened, but I wasted a ton of time trying to troubleshoot that one.

even waded through some of those BS driver cesspools.....
                      You mean the driver websites?
                      IMO, 99.9% of those are BS - they just return the search string from Google / your favorite search engine on their page, but really don't have the proper drivers most of the time or ask you to install their special driver downloader app. I've actually tried that on a few "burner" test PCs, and some of these do actually work... though no telling what else they are doing to your system. FWIW, I tried it on a slow-ass Pentium 3 laptop with not a whole lot of resources, that that poor driver finder program was taking ages with the CPU pegged @ 100% to look for the one driver I couldn't find myself (it was a Realtek-based Wireless-B card). Eventually it found the driver and installed it. Since I had not intention of ever running this software again on another PC/laptop that I'd want to try this Wireless-B card in, I looked through the driver finder's install folder, and found the driver ZIP package it how downloaded for the card. Copied that and tested on another burner laptop. It worked perfectly! So some of these do work... but are just shady as a Rolex "dealer" with a white van in a quiet alley.

Comment

220W @ 20V? Is that what it says on the back?

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Oh wow, that must have been a pretty decent AIO machine for back in the days. I mean, dedidcated x600 and touchscreen? That's kind of a rare combo. Most touchscreens of the time were just POS systems and hardly had any GPU capabilities or large resolution. So that's a cool save, to say the least.
                          It was some kind of kiosk in a medical facility. He (the doctor that dropped it off) said it wouldn't hold settings anymore, and 'corporate' decided to replace it.....over a dead CMOS battery.... No wonder an aspirin at a hospital is $30!!

...On the previous desktop they had (Dell Dimension 3000), I had to do the same for the IGP (Intel "Extreme" Graphics 2 / i865 chipset) drivers, because there were none for Win7. The XP ones worked absolutely fine, though. Of course, I had to force-install them through the INFs and not through the EXE package - it threw an error immediately about OS incompatibility, IIRC.
                          I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to do this with friggin intel display drivers....it just makes me say naughty words, so I'll just leave it at that.

Does that yield lasting results, though?

I tried re-packing BBs a few times, but they ended up quiet for just a few minutes. After that, they started sounding as if I had put sand in there - mostly running smooth (but loud), but then once in a while making "crackling" noises, as if the bearing stop turning momentarily. And I did clean the BBs from the old grease with brake cleaner. Perhaps the grease I used (some kind of old GP stuff, I think) wasn't good enough or the right kind? I also read that bearings with excessive wear/play will fail again, even after re-packing it with grease. So I'm curious about your method, as I have a lot of fan bearings that could use a "silencing session".
                          If you do it right, it'll hold for years....there;s a secret to it. Since I like you, I'll tell you the secret.... Pop one dust shield off ONE SIDE of each ball bearing. Don't do both sides, since they cant be reinstalled, if you remove both sides, the bearing is ruined. Take some 'brakeleen' and soak them in it for a good 30 minutes....you'll be amazed the crud that comes out of them. Then install the front bearing, the missing dust shield to the inside and squirt some Zep2000 spray grease into the bearing. Then take the one that's to be the rear bearing and squirt some grease into it, then install it with the missing dust shield side to the inside. Then fill the inside cavity bewteen the bearings with even more grease. Insert fan shaft, reinstall the retainer. Then clean the back good with alcohol where the sticker once was and use some 'gorilla tape' and cut a circle the size of what the sticker used to be and seal it up. That tape will never come off....and shazam... The fan will be quiet forever after. This also works on bushing sleeves/thrust bushings as well. I never throw fans away unless the electronics are bad or it's physically broken. I've restored fans that were completely frozen.

220W @ 20V? Is that what it says on the back?
                          Interesting.
                          Perhaps there were current spikes at start-up that tripped it? Otherwise, that P4 Cedar Mill should be much more tame when it comes to power draw (only 65W TDP CPU, vs. 85-89W for the Press-hots - and that's estimated average power.) Maybe the x600 GPU was also adding to the mix, though (my guess for another 40-50 Watts or so.) In any case, 10 Amps @ 20V is 200 Watts... so I don't see how it could be drawing that much... which is probably why the Dell 19.5V power brick @ 10.8A had no problems. Perhaps you need to check the caps in your bench PSU?
                          I think you misunderstood. The 20v @ 11a is what the computer requires. The bench supply is only rated for 4a....On the bench supply, it wouldn't start up....it would immediately trip. The Dell brick did get very hot....but was stable. I'll snap a pic tomorrow, since you fellas think I'm pullin' your legs.... It apparently is a hog....looking at hardware of that era, and as feature-rich as this thing is, 200w all of a sudden sounds about right. I guess I could put an ammeter on it as well....

It should be able to run Quantum too, since you got Windows 7 on it... though the CPU is still a single-core (with HT), so that may not help with the performance a whole lot, if at all.
                          I know it'll run it.....but for performance reasons, didn't.

Well, if nothing else, at least this could be a good example of what the first generation of AIO PCs looked like. I mean, WiFi, touchscreen, mid-range GPU, and 64-bit CPU? - This was high-end for the 1st gen of AIO's I remember first seeing at Best Buy (or was it Circuit City) almost two decades ago. Yet, it's still legacy/old enough to have a floppy drive. What a beast!
                          For a web browser & basic duties system, its perfectly usable....I didn't try the YT test on it, I know that would probably be ugly.... I didn't know that a Cedarmill CPU was 64-bit capable...not that it matters with only 4gb of RAM in it....but still good to know.

You mean the driver websites?
                          IMO, 99.9% of those are BS - they just return the search string from Google / your favorite search engine on their page, but really don't have the proper drivers most of the time or ask you to install their special driver downloader app. I've actually tried that on a few "burner" test PCs, and some of these do actually work... though no telling what else they are doing to your system. FWIW, I tried it on a slow-ass Pentium 3 laptop with not a whole lot of resources, that that poor driver finder program was taking ages with the CPU pegged @ 100% to look for the one driver I couldn't find myself (it was a Realtek-based Wireless-B card). Eventually it found the driver and installed it. Since I had not intention of ever running this software again on another PC/laptop that I'd want to try this Wireless-B card in, I looked through the driver finder's install folder, and found the driver ZIP package it how downloaded for the card. Copied that and tested on another burner laptop. It worked perfectly! So some of these do work... but are just shady as a Rolex "dealer" with a white van in a quiet alley.
                          If it requires me to download any of their 'driver updater' utilities, I immediately have a parting of the ways with that site..... I will never use one, and never will. For older stuff, if it's not in .zip format, its typically a scam.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

'corporate' decided to replace it.....over a dead CMOS battery.... No wonder an aspirin at a hospital is $30!!
                            yea seems that hospitals are becoming more and more like super glorified 6 star hotels. a can of coke at a 5 star hotel is $5 and a small packet of peanuts is $10. pretty soon hospitals will be charging $2 a second to have a nurse talk to you.

patient:"u're pretty, nurse! can i have your number?"
                            nurse:"that'll be $10!"

dafaq!
                            Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 04-26-2021, 12:13 AM. Reason: added more smileys.

Comment

I have an AIO of a customer that is 24in and a 6th generation i3 and it only uses 120 Watts

Does the sticker on the back of that thing show the voltage and amperage it's supposed to have

Comment

I have an AIO of a customer that is 24in and a 6th generation i3 and it only uses 120 Watts

Does the sticker on the back of that thing show the voltage and amperage it's supposed to have
                                I have the next model up, the 424... the brick for it is CHUNKY... and along with the other remains of the system (as they're found in storage) will be added the ever-growing backlog of crap I need to haul to Topcat!
                                Last edited by ratdude747; 04-26-2021, 04:23 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

A butt shot, since I usually do.... It's USB port rich, there;s some on the sides as well as the ones on the back. I did manage to break the cover plate for the CPU....the lower left corner piece is just sitting in there.....but it stays.....but if Ratdude can manage to find the one from his junker...

...and of course the infamous power requirements placard!!

Attached Files
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

...Or you'll take mine and make this the junker. Mine has a pentium D in it (newer chipset!) and has already been SLIC'd for Windows 7 (uses a Dell certificate). Running when pulled apart, but with the GPU upgrade linked above being a no-go, I set it aside since the onboard graphics made it more uses than the Polymodded iMac-G5 that it was intended to "replace".
                                    sigpic

Comment

It was some kind of kiosk in a medical facility. He (the doctor that dropped it off) said it wouldn't hold settings anymore, and 'corporate' decided to replace it.....over a dead CMOS battery.... No wonder an aspirin at a hospital is $30!!
                                      Yup.
                                      It's not just the medical sector that does this, though. Seems like A LOT of corporations do this kind of thing and then charge it from the customer (or get rid of employees whenever they need to make tighter budgets meet ends.) If you've looked at all of the free stuff I've posted about in the last 2 years that I've got from my last job (including the SBC and SAS SSD I sent you), you can see just how much and what kind of perfectly good stuff goes to waste.

If you do it right, it'll hold for years....there;s a secret to it. Since I like you, I'll tell you the secret.... Pop one dust shield off ONE SIDE of each ball bearing. Don't do both sides, since they cant be reinstalled, if you remove both sides, the bearing is ruined. Take some 'brakeleen' and soak them in it for a good 30 minutes....you'll be amazed the crud that comes out of them. Then install the front bearing, the missing dust shield to the inside and squirt some Zep2000 spray grease into the bearing. Then take the one that's to be the rear bearing and squirt some grease into it, then install it with the missing dust shield side to the inside. Then fill the inside cavity bewteen the bearings with even more grease. Insert fan shaft, reinstall the retainer. Then clean the back good with alcohol where the sticker once was and use some 'gorilla tape' and cut a circle the size of what the sticker used to be and seal it up. That tape will never come off....and shazam... The fan will be quiet forever after. This also works on bushing sleeves/thrust bushings as well.
                                      Thanks!
                                      Bookmarked and will try eventually when I get a chance (and some of that Zep2000 supposed magical stuff )

I never throw fans away unless the electronics are bad or it's physically broken. I've restored fans that were completely frozen.
                                      Same.

And on that note, even the ones with burned electronics / coils, I've saved. Turns out, even if the PCB is fried to a crisp, often times the hall sensor + driver IC still seem to survive. It's the coils that I've seen fried only. And on that note, I might actually be attempting a repair on a fan like that soon. Needless to say, it will be posted in the worthless repair thread when it's done.

As for ball bearing fans... my only solution so far has been to replace the bearings. At one point, there used to be listings on eBay for 10 small BBs for $1-2 total (including S&H). I bought one, since I didn't know what the quality of the bearings would be like... and indeed only 6 out of the 10 bearings were "OK". Upon closer inspection, I think they were just recycled bearings. Nonetheless, that's still not too bad IMO for the $1 I paid. I managed to save 4 fans or so (two only needed 1 bearing changed.) Now they've jacked up the prices quite a bit more, so may not be as worthwhile, given the quality of the bearings. But still an option, though.

I think you misunderstood. The 20v @ 11a is what the computer requires.
                                      Ah, OK.
                                      Well, that's probably only a "peak" rating of what the PC might draw if everything is maxed out (CPU, GPU, DVD drive, HDD, and etc.) In reality, an average P4 CPU needs around 100 Watts under full load. And the x600 is probably another 30-40-ish or so Watts. So add in HDD at 10W (20W when spinning up), 20W peak for an optical spinning up, 10-15W for chipsets and RAM, and display another 20-30W... yeah, that does it in at ~200W. In idle, I imagine a system like that should be hovering around the 80-100W mark.

I guess I could put an ammeter on it as well....
                                      That would be interesting.

I didn't know that a Cedarmill CPU was 64-bit capable...not that it matters with only 4gb of RAM in it....but still good to know.
                                      Even the P4's are, if they are on socket 775.
                                      On that note, isn't this the MPC AIO that you upgraded with the 3.4 GHz Cedar Mill I sent ya? At least I was left with th impression that this is that PC (and seems so from the best free/cheap scores thread.)

If it requires me to download any of their 'driver updater' utilities, I immediately have a parting of the ways with that site..... I will never use one, and never will. For older stuff, if it's not in .zip format, its typically a scam.
                                      I agree and typically I do the same too. But once in a while, I do like to try these silly things on a "burner" PC, just to see how bad they are. Indeed some of these utilities do work. But a lot of them are more of an ad billboard (both for whatever other misc SW that company has or for other shady SW / services.)

And then there is also the likes of the Russian Driver Packs (RDP) and Snappy Driver Installer (SDI). We called the latter "Spooky Driver Installer" or "Suspicious Driver Installer" back when I used to work at one PC shop. I don't remember what we called the Russian Driver Packs, but it was similar. In either case, both of these did work, and a good number of techs liked using them, as they are easier and quicker than messing with individual drivers. However, I did find both of these utilities force-installed incorrect drivers a few times, resulting in a hosed OS install (couldn't revert back changes, for some reason.) So I don't trust these utilities still. However, for throwing together a quick test system (say, for testing the HW) that you plan on wiping afterwards anyways, either of these will usually work OK in most cases.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 04-28-2021, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I use to do a ton of MPC machines, I'll look and see if I have something to help, I know they had specific needs for drivers etc.

Comment

Working...
                                        X