Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP Proliant ML110 G5 - CAUTION RISK OF FIRE (epic fail!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Proliant ML110 G5 - CAUTION RISK OF FIRE (epic fail!)

Hello everyone.

I am not sure that this is the correct sub-forum to post but i think its the closest to the problem i met.

One of our HP Proliant ML110 G5 servers was switched off and the computer room had the smell of burnt plastic...
    If the server was powered on it continued to run and smoke came out almost immediately and the PSU did not switch off, at least until we powered down the server by hand.

The problem rests on a Y splitter molex to 2X Sata power adapter.
    Our cable has a manufacture date 25/1/2008.
    HP released a product recall just in Dec 2013. Of course we not informed about the problem.

Looking around the internet we seem to be "lucky", as many others had the entire computers destroyed by the fire.

It is worrying that the PSU's short protection does not kick in, but measuring the resistance of the shorted burnt plug (+12v to GND) shows about 50ohms which i think the PSU will not detect as shorted.

I posted here as it might help someone else to check if they are using the same adapters.

HP RECALL INFO

EDIT: some concerns about those adapters were posted here at:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...lex+sata+power
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sententia; 09-22-2014, 08:35 AM.

Re: HP Proliant ML110 G5 - CAUTION RISK OF FIRE (epic fail!)

nasty!
    will be on the lookout for these.

Comment

Hello everyone.

I am not sure that this is the correct sub-forum to post but i think its the closest to the problem i met.

One of our HP Proliant ML110 G5 servers was switched off and the computer room had the smell of burnt plastic...

If the server was powered on it continued to run and smoke came out almost immediately and the PSU did not switch off, at least until we powered down the server by hand.

Our cable has a manufacture date 25/1/2008.

HP released a product recall just in Dec 2013. Of course we not informed about the problem.

Looking around the internet we seem to be "lucky", as many others had the entire computers destroyed by the fire.

It is worrying that the PSU's short protection does not kick in, but measuring the resistance of the shorted burnt plug (+12v to GND) shows about 50ohms which i think the PSU will not detect as shorted.

I posted here as it might help someone else to check if they are using the same adapters.

Thank you

Comment

Hii,
        Hp ML110 G5 servers catch on fire ,I have a set of 11 Hp ML110 G5 servers all purchased at the same time. So far 7 of them have had a power cable connected to the hard drive melt down and catch on fire, some in the middle of the night when no one was around. Fortunately the fires were small and contained within the case, but it seems very odd that so many of the servers are experiencing the same (very dangerous) problem.
        Of course, they were just out of warranty when the problem started. Now, when I try to go through the web site to initiate a chat or email with HP, it asks for the serial number and tells me that I cannot contact Support for free since the warranty is expired.

How do I make the right folks at HP aware of the problem? If my office space burns down because of an issue with a whole batch of their servers, I am sure my company will seek some kind of recompense, in warranty or not...

Comment

Originally posted by mathewwben View Post
          Isn't that always the case?

Seems like it's always those adaptors and always the same type of adaptor that burns...
          I've seen it already many many times on the interwebs, some here probably in real life. It's pretty nasty, but maybe the connector spec is just wrong...

Why haven't they gone with a connector printed on the PCB? similar to the PCIe connector...
          Originally posted by mathewwben View Post
          1. For a short to be detected, there has to be an actual short and not just a shitty connector...

2. 50Ohm on +12V equals to about 0.24Amps...
          But there also is a motor and so on...

And you do not need high amps to burn something, just a very very bad connection...
          Last edited by Stefan Payne; 09-10-2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

SATA power connectors are bullshit - the contacts are too small for a power hungry 3.5inch drive.

stick to using the 4pin molex, and dont buy any drives that dont have one.

Comment

After looking a bit more at the pictures, I wonder if those disks are salvagable.

You 'just' need a S-ATA (or maybe better a Molex) extension, sidecutter, good soldering iron and there she goes...

Comment

yea ... this encountered on one of my customers pc...

Attached Files

Comment

interesting, optical drives have very low current needs - unless something shorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    interesting, optical drives have very low current needs - unless something shorted out.
                    optical drives can pull 1-3 Amps of power on the 12V rail when a disc is being spun up. But once disc is spun, they use no more power than a regular 3.5" HDD, and even less when there is nothing.

Thus, the conclusion is:
                    Originally posted by stj View Post
                    SATA power connectors are bullshit
                    I saw one pretty burned up at work about 3 weeks ago - a cheap Molex to SATA adapter in a eMachines PC that was installed by the user.

The only other connectors I've seen short and burn up are floppy connectors.

Comment

i'd say rohs strikes again, causing tarnished connectors. this increases the connector contact resistance until things get too hot and start a fire. the high humidity and temperatures in singapore are just the arch-nemesis of rohs.

Comment

Had this happen to me on my downstairs PC. Assuming it was the Molex that shorted. I have stopped using these whenever I can.
                        Attached Files

Comment

shit connections for sure . arcing causes lots of heat then the plastic melts and makes things worse . i come across this sort of thing most days

Comment

Had a SATA connector cable burn up on me once due to bad connection. It was in a Raidsonic 3.5 inch HDD case. Fortunately, the SATA cable was the only victim.

Comment

Originally posted by m4a2t0t View Post
                              Had this happen to me on my downstairs PC. Assuming it was the Molex that shorted. I have stopped using these whenever I can.
                              The Molex connector on that adapter looks fine. I only see the SATA connector is burned.

That said, this makes me want to install a Molex connector on all of my SATA HDDs. Either that, or a 5 Amp fuse on every wire strand that has SATA and Molex connectors - but both of these are a bit more work that I care to do right now.

Funny thing is, if you do an image search for "burned Molex connector", most pictures you get back are of burned SATA connectors, lol
                              Last edited by momaka; 06-28-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

7th December 2017, I had a server fire in a Proliant ML110.
                                I was working late (luckily) and I had a server ML110 on the bench behind me.
                                It was on the network & switched on. I was using it for a small project, but hadn't actually done anything with it for a couple of months.
                                I could smell burning, and by the time I found where it was coming from, smoke was now emitting from the server.
                                I pulled the plug & took the server outside.
                                I removed the side panel & there were flames at the rear of the drives.
                                The flames extinguished & I left it to cool down
                                it looks as though the cables at the rear of the hard drives had caught light.
                                Attached Files

Comment

This has to be somehow related with high humidity levels or some contaminants in the air (don't laugh, I've seen once a server kept in a kitchen ).

Probably the contacts corrode due to humidity/contaminants and the increased resistance causes them eventually to catch fire.

Comment

Originally posted by _Larry_ View Post
                                    it looks as though the cables at the rear of the hard drives had caught light.
                                    Yup. "Good ol'" SATA power connectors are know to do that.

This can never happen with Molex power connectors. The only Molex connectors I've seen cause a short-circuit were those super-cheap flimsy ones that come with cheap fans and cheap connector converters/extenders.

Originally posted by Adrian_ View Post
                                    This has to be somehow related with high humidity levels or some contaminants in the air (don't laugh, I've seen once a server kept in a kitchen ).

Probably the contacts corrode due to humidity/contaminants and the increased resistance causes them eventually to catch fire.
                                    Sounds about right to me - at least the corrosion part. As to whether it can happen only in a place with high humidity or not - that I don't know. Either way, I'm sure it must be related to RoHS and/or manufacturers cutting a corner somewhere with the connectors, thus allowing them to oxidize much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_ View Post

Something caused the contact resistance to increase and from there it ran away into self-immolation.

Word to the wise regarding PSUs with edge connector output connectors that slide in and out of server chassis. DO NOT slam them into the chassis. If you don't cause damage severe enough to cause an immediate failure you may damage the mating connector contacts and/or solder joints, setting in motion a slow breakdown of the contact and eventual overheating. It make take a couple of years, but it will be destructive and ugly and it will smell really bad.
                                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Vaya!!! que sorpresa no tan agradable y que problema.
                                        Sobre la fuente de alimentación he de añadir que al tener el máximo de 365W es probable que conectores tipo sata estén expuestos y más si su funcionamiento es de casi 24H. sin interrupción...normalmente se arregla con un molex de cuatro pines con extensión sata.

Ahora os expongo este proyecto personal...

Convertir este fantástico server en una maquina gamer dando y abasteciendo a la vez a un PS3 ...como?!

Veamos...con el confinamiento se me ha ocurrido crear dicho proyecto...y de mientras espero a que me lleguen los componentes para una actualización de hardware empezando por:

- CPU Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor X3360 X3360 (2.4 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 8 MB L2)
                                        - DDR2-800 4 x 2GB
                                        - Tarjeta gráfica GPU SAPPHIRE HD 5450 1GB
                                        - frontal USB2.0 9pin hembra a USB3.0
                                        - 9 pines hembra de 1 a 2 placa macho de 9 pines conector USB 2,0
                                        - 9pin conector USB 1 a 2 de extensión USB hub de cable USB USB2.0
                                        - Multifuntion 5,25 "lector de tarjeta de tablero de medios USB 2,0 USB 3,0 20 pin e-sata Panel frontal SATA
                                        - Hub SATA 1-10 Hub de ventilador de refrigeración divisor 4Pin LED cable PWM 12V
                                        - PC IDE Molex 1 a 8 divisor hub de ventilador de refrigeración 3-12 V
                                        - Tarjeta de sonido USB externa 7,1 adaptador 5HV2 USB a 3D CH sonido antimagnético

...probablemente tenga que añadir algo más :retorcido:

Sin olvidar los componentes para ps3... : compy:

Pero la cuestión son las siguientes:
                                        1. Control fan por bios.
                                        2. Actualización bios y controladores chip.
                                        3. Diagrama esquemático de la placa base A61TT2 M/B.

he buscado por la red sin éxito a no ser que sea por suscripción...
                                        Es posible que alguien pueda proporcionar dichos archivos adjuntos?

A día de hoy el sistema W10 LTSC es estable y confío que sera rápido en cuanto lleguen sus componentes.

Y recordad a quien lea este post...ES UN PROYECTO CON FINES PROPIOS Y DOMÉSTICOS SIN LUCRO ALGUNO NI DE NADIE.:ocultación:

Gracias de antemano por dedicarle un momento de vuestro tiempo a leer este post y esperando vuestra aportación.

NOTA: Diseño final en madera. : bsflag:
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X