Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Würth Elektronik Electrolytic Capacitors Official Thread

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    When you say relabeled, do you mean fake or subcontracted?

Because this was purchased straight from Newark. In fact, they're still selling it:

http://www.newark.com/illinois-capac...tor/dp/69K7936
    I do not mean fake, i mean IC bought capacitors from Jamicon or Lelon and got them to put custom heatshrink on them with the IC logo and marking on it. (Not saying they did but they could have)
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

If that ever got past Japanese quality control, it would result in a harakiri at the factory.

By the way, was that slightly bulged cap measuring okay in terms of ESR and capacitance? Also, can you actually push the vent back down or does it feel very stiff? If the latter, that's probably a sign of gas (Hydrogen) build up and the cap is likely on its way out. (Though for high voltage caps, sometimes that doesn't apply - I have one JEE 200V 1000uF cap from an ATX PSU, and despite being slightly bulged, it measures okay on ESR and capacitance. It's been that way for 5+ years now. I've re-used it for several temporary recaps now. and it hasn't been giving me problems. Of course, I wouldn't use it for anything permanent or in a spot where it is critical for safety.)

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
      I do not mean fake, i mean IC bought capacitors from Jamicon or Lelon and got them to put custom heatshrink on them with the IC logo and marking on it. (Not saying they did but they could have)
      Probably not Lelon, as they use an "X" -style vent. Jamicon... maybe, as they do sometimes have a "Y" vent.
      Last edited by momaka; 10-25-2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        Probably not Lelon, as they use an "X" -style vent. Jamicon... maybe, as they do sometimes have a "Y" vent.
        I have some Lelon caps with a Y vent.

Attached Files
        Last edited by RukyCon; 10-25-2017, 05:30 PM. Reason: needed a good photo

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          By the way, was that slightly bulged cap measuring okay in terms of ESR and capacitance? Also, can you actually push the vent back down or does it feel very stiff?
          I have just ordered a tester so hopefully I can test it when it arrives, but I'm pretty sure the cap is ok. No it is pretty stiff and I can't push it back down (I just tried with a lot of force).

I used to buy their KXM series (equivalent to UCC KZE), but ever since then I got turned off of them.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Rubbish.

Their foil is Chinese/Taiwanese (read: inferior)

Their electrolyte is also inferior. Since when has a European company produced something on-par with a modern Japanese cap? The business model of researching electrolyte formulas to compete with Japan wouldn't make sense at this point. The cost would be enormous.

What does make sense is that they are probably importing raw goods from China and having them assembled in Europe.

Big deal. They should be avoided.
            that was copied off their website .

Comment

Würth electrolytic capacitors have the word VENT printed on them.

Usually the cheap capacitor company's will print VENT on their capacitors to remind their customers that their capacitors will prematurely VENT.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by RukyCon; 10-27-2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

can you rotate the cap a couple of degree and make another picture??

So that you can see the VENT and the other markings like Voltage and so on for example.

Comment

Here are two more photos of the same capacitor so you can see all of the markings.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You don't have a similar CapXon cap, do yo??

Comment

I have a Capxon capacitor of the same physical size and looking at them side by side the the Würth capacitor looks almost identical to the Capxon capacitor.
                      Some photos so you can see for yourself....

What do you think? Do you think they could be Capxon's with the Würth name on them?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by RukyCon; 10-28-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                        What do you think? Do you think they could be Capxon's with the Würth name on them?
                        That was the first thing I thought when I saw the VENT on the cap. Also the cross seal.
                        And it should be a somewhat decent manufacturer that writes that on their caps. And the first thing is CapXon I thought of....

But that doesn't mean the cap is bad, without knowing the quality grade Würth wanted. CapXon has some (more) decent series like FH...

Also their GL series seems to be somewhat OKish - not great but certainly better than KF...

Comment

Although, after another look at the pictures there are some differences.
                          The groove on the crossection of the CapXon cap is a bit bigger.
                          And the printing looks kinda different...

Comment

the wurth looks like it has a deeper bung-crimp
                            really though, you need to compare something bigger like 8mm or 10mm and compare the bungs.

Comment

I'm going to get more Würth capacitors at some point for some minor repairs and projects.

I was also thinking about getting some of their low impedance or low ESR capacitors for testing in some small power supply's.

Comment

What's the point?
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

what Behemot said,

they will work, fukyou's will work, capxon's will work,

the only difference between shit and say pana or rubycon is how long they stay working!!
                                  do you have a couple of years for your test?

Comment

Well i guess i will go back to my original plan of using a mix of Rubycon and Panasonic capacitors for the power supply's with the Würth capacitors being used in low stress applications. (If they can even be used for that)

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      they will work, fukyou's will work, capxon's will work,

the only difference between shit and say pana or rubycon is how long they stay working!!
                                      Actually, it's not a problem of how many years they will work but *which* of the capacitors you got will last that many years. In other words, crap capacitors tend to have more unpredictable and inconsistent failure rate. You can have two CapXons next to each other, and one last 10+ years and the other go bad after 1 year of use. I've actually seen that happen quite often with crap brands.

The only way to see if these Wurth capacitors are any good is to buy at least 20 of each kind you plan to use, then put them in the same equipment - say, 20 identical power supplies. Then run each of these power supplies 24/7 for several years or more to see how the caps fare. But the truth is, hardly anyone will have time or motivation for an experiment like that. So in the end, it just may not be Wurth it... lol

On the other hand, it makes me feel kind of sad, because if a new electrolytic capacitor company started making decent caps, they would probably go unnoticed, as there is no incentive to move away from the offering of the good Japanese companies. But I suppose that's the way things are. After all, Rubycon, Panasonic, Nichicon, and Chemicon have invested a lot of money into research into making electro caps, so it's undoubted they have advantage over anyone else, both in terms of quality and price (or at least price/performance).

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                                      That was the first thing I thought when I saw the VENT on the cap. Also the cross seal.
                                      A lot of cheap caps have the word VENT printed on them, and also quite a few have "X" -shaped vents (in fact, I think that is probably one of the most commonly used vent). So I don't think that alone can conclude that Wurth (or any other capacitor for that matter) is related to CapXon.

If anything, the bung, vent stamp, and leads may be a more accurate indicator. But it's still possible that many cheap cap companies could be getting their leads and cans from a larger manufacturer and then putting their own foil and electrolyte in the cap. So you never know who makes what with cheap brands.

Comment

I would hope that a company with the reputation of Wurth would have invested time and effort to make sure that the product they're stamping their name on will not sully their reputation. I cannot see them rebranding low quality products. It would be like BMW rebranding Geely Motors cars as their own.

Comment

that's a poor example, /bmW has a lot of problems with newer cars - so do mercedes.

Comment

Working...
                                          X