Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master little VRM fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master little VRM fan

Hi, does someone know what model of that little VRM fan is in Z590 Aorus Master motherboard, I would like to buy that board but I heard that fan is a bit loud so I would replace him with A4x10 from Noctua, is that ok idea ? What do you think ?

Re: Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master little VRM fan

Fans for any video card are rare to find. We did a repair for one video card and had to source the fan from AliExpress. We complained to their US office and the manufacturer said they often suggest to the customer to do the same, buy from AliExpress. The fan with DHL shipping was a $100 estimate purchase. Best to find the fan there and then investigate the properties.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Fans for any video card are rare to find. We did a repair for one video card and had to source the fan from AliExpress. We complained to their US office and the manufacturer said they often suggest to the customer to do the same, buy from AliExpress. The fan with DHL shipping was a $100 estimate purchase. Best to find the fan there and then investigate the properties.
      It's not fan for video card. It's a little buzzer on VRM to be exact it cools Aquantia LAN chip.

And it's not hard to find replacement for it I bought Noctua A4x10 a way more quieter fan, but question is will this fan with 5000RPM and static pressure of 1,95 mmH₂O be ok for it. Because now this default fan is around 9800RPM and loud as f... when it's on high RPM, and it is PWM fan but I can't controll it via motherboard. I even ask gigabyte to fix that and they told me this:

This fan is non adjustable or non controllable. It is by hardware design.

I don't know how much static pressure does it have because I still didn't disasseble the board, and on internet there is no info. of that fan model. And what my main concern is if my Noctua replacement fan will cool as good as that default one.
      Last edited by Thermaltake; 05-16-2021, 02:05 AM.

Comment

i think any good quality and reliable fan will be better than the original. because the original is crap unreliable and will just kill the hardware when it fails, so then the 9800 rpm rating is useless when it dies. its just a zero rpm paperweight...

Comment

Can we see a picture of the original fan and also the hardware/heatsink it's supposed to be on? Perhaps that way we can find an alternative replacement.

That said, if a fan is not completely burned out, I *always* try to repair it.
          Sleeve bearing fans can be cleaned and lubricated - even sealed ones, if you're willing to take on a slight challenge of opening them (they aren't too hard to open once you get the hang of it, but can be if you've never done it before.) And if it's a ball bearing fan, you can either replace the bearings or repack them with grease in some cases (Topcat has written a good method on how to do that and what supplies to use - I can try to dig up that post if you're interested.)

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
          i think any good quality and reliable fan will be better than the original. because the original is crap unreliable
          I wouldn't say original fans are unreliable.
          Quite the contrary - large OEMs like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and etc. tend to use at least decent quality fans like PowerLogic, YL, ProTechnic, and similar (though rarely the top tiers like San Ace, Nidec, Sanyo Denki, and etc.)

The main problem is the application. Why the f- did the manufacturer choose to use such a tiny fan at such high speed in the first place? A bigger heatsink with a bigger fan turning slower will yield better cooling results and likely last exponentially longer. So that's either poor design decision or a good one (for saving on the manufacturing costs.)
          Last edited by momaka; 05-20-2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

i wasnt referring to original fans in general and i wasnt generalising. i was just referring to just that specific fan on that specific board only.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Can we see a picture of the original fan and also the hardware/heatsink it's supposed to be on? Perhaps that way we can find an alternative replacement.

That said, if a fan is not completely burned out, I *always* try to repair it.
              Sleeve bearing fans can be cleaned and lubricated - even sealed ones, if you're willing to take on a slight challenge of opening them (they aren't too hard to open once you get the hang of it, but can be if you've never done it before.) And if it's a ball bearing fan, you can either replace the bearings or repack them with grease in some cases (Topcat has written a good method on how to do that and what supplies to use - I can try to dig up that post if you're interested.)

I wouldn't say original fans are unreliable.
              Quite the contrary - large OEMs like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and etc. tend to use at least decent quality fans like PowerLogic, YL, ProTechnic, and similar (though rarely the top tiers like San Ace, Nidec, Sanyo Denki, and etc.)

The main problem is the application. Why the f- did the manufacturer choose to use such a tiny fan at such high speed in the first place? A bigger heatsink with a bigger fan turning slower will yield better cooling results and likely last exponentially longer. So that's either poor design decision or a good one (for saving on the manufacturing costs.)
              Fan is new, but it's noisy as hell. It's new motherboard Z590 Aorus Master. I will disassembly board again in few days and found out what fan brand is, but I will sure replace it with my A4x10 from Noctua cause it's less noisy and maybe better air pressure, but that I still need to check.

"So that's either poor design decision or a good one (for saving on the manufacturing costs.)"

I bold what I personally think it's right.

Here is picture
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Thermaltake; 05-21-2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thermaltake View Post
                Fan is new, but it's noisy as hell. It's new motherboard Z590 Aorus Master. I will disassembly board again in few days and found out what fan brand is, but I will sure replace it with my A4x10 from Noctua cause it's less noisy and maybe better air pressure, but that I still need to check.
                Well, in that case, I don't know if your new fan will be able to improve things that much more. When it comes to these small fans, you really do need to run them at high RPMs if you want to push any significant amount of air. So if your new fan doesn't turn as fast and is more quiet, it probably won't be pushing as much air either... and that leaves a question whether the CPU VRM will still remain properly cooled.

I also see the original fan is 4-pin PWM... so there should be something controlling its speed (otherwise, they could have went with a 3-pin or even a 2-pin fan.) Thus, if your replacement is not a 4-pin PWM fan, you might end up with even more noisy results.

All in all, I think the CPU VRM cooling design is just crap. What were they thinking placing a small fan like that in there? They should have just extended the heatsinks and just relied on passive air from the CPU cooler. Or if that wouldn't have been enough, they should have made the heatsinks flatter and used a bigger (50, 55, or 60 mm) thin overhead fan at lower RPMs... and it probably wouldn't have been more expensive. But I guess it's all about looks and performance these days, not about making a product that lasts.

Originally posted by Thermaltake View Post
                I bold what I personally think it's right.
                Oh yeah, I'm with you on that one. Pretty sure the manufacturer could have done better for a few cents more.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                i wasnt referring to original fans in general and i wasnt generalising. i was just referring to just that specific fan on that specific board only.
                Ah, I see.
                Still, even crap fan brands can last a long time if used more moderately and not over-worked. From the pictures that TT posted, it just looks like a crap cooling design for the VRM. I've used small 40 mm fans like that to cool many chipsets before. The family PC (a P4 Dell Dimension 3000) was the first one I modded by adding a meh-quality Radio Shack 40 mm fan on it's NB heatsink. I did that back in 2006. The PC was retired sometimes around 2015, IIRC. That fan still runs like new, even after 9 years of use. The key is that I didn't run it on full blast or anywhere near that. Instead, I connected it to run on about 7V, which made the fan turn very slowly and hardly push any air... but it still made enough of a difference that it was much better than just passive cooling from the NB heatsink.
                Last edited by momaka; 05-26-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

The fan is not for the VRM it is for the Aquantia AQC107 10 GbE controller
                  Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16618...aster-review/2

Also OP has crossposted here: https://www.overclock.net/threads/gi...m-fan.1778742/
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Gigabyte was lying. I clear cmos now for the second time and now I can normally adjust fan, it was stuck for some reason when I flash bios I couldn't do anything to it's speed. But now I can regulate RPMs normally.

Don't know if it's OK to change that fan for A4x10 from Noctua, what do you think ?

Comment

Anyone ?

Comment

Working...
                      X