Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vu meter connection

Hi
    For a television series, I have to build copies of some audio tape recorders, the production bought these vu meters which need to be connected to the headphone audio output of mp3 players. Can anyone show me how? connected directly, they do not work. Accuracy is not required just that the instrument needle moves
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Vu meter connection

what is the resistance of the coil?

Comment

800 ohm

Comment

I found this circuit , could it work ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that circuit looks good for driving the VU meter. Some VU meters have built-in diode rectifiers, some have built-in standard 3k6 resistor for calibration, some have nothing inside. From your pics it looks like just the raw meter (coil) movement.
          You can use a 10k ohm trimpot and actually two resistors to mix left and right channels into mono is probably better.
          The diodes could be Schottky, or ordinary silicon if it's just to move the meter as a TV show prop. The 1N34A is Germanium and harder to find.

A VU meter needs some power to move the needle, so a headphone output driving it all is best. So using Line Level can work but might cause loading problem and distortion to the audio.
          Adding an LED backlight would be really cool and retro...

Comment

This is the unit under costruction and the original
            Thanks
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jasko_jacker; 06-28-2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X