iMac Display Replacement Adhesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac Display Replacement Adhesive

TL;DR: Looking for as-close-to-genuine as possible iMac Thin Panel (2012-2019) Adhesive.

Long Rant: I run a tech shop that has a specialty in Macs. We've been doing upgrades and repairs on the thin panel iMacs as long as they've been out, and I've always had the issue of being unable to get something close to the OEM Adhesive for the Display Assembly, i.e. a 'two-part' adhesive, extremely thin but durable and can be cut easily with a thin wheel cutter. My replacement adhesive has always been essentially standard thin adhesive. For a long time, the biggest annoyance with this was having to re-open the iMac, the replacement adhesive was gummy and didn't come off as cleanly as apple's. This was bearable. Since 2020, they seem to have dropped massively in quality just about everywhere I can supply them. Some of our more serious customers, production studios and music producers, are even having issues where the screens just fall off after being on particularly hard working, frequently high-heat iMacs.

My shop and I have tried looking around everywhere, ordered from different vendors, even gotten desperate and tried ordering batches from eBay to see if anything would be better. We've called the companies to complain and it's the typical BS that we must be doing something wrong. We've tried heating up the adhesive and letting it seat with extended clamping pressure but we continue to have issues. I would just like something closer to the OEM strips. Durable, reliable, and preferably easy to cut in warranty events or second upgrades/repairs. I don't care if we have to cut it ourselves. Anyone else have experience, or can even point me in a direction of somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
    Last edited by Katz993; 03-15-2022, 10:36 AM.

Re: iMac Display Replacement Adhesive

We have done some iMAC repairs and use the strips sold on Aliexpress. So far, have not had this fault of the screen falling off.

However, consider to review the 3M brand from authorized sources or even give them a call to discuss with one of their engineers for the best solution. We did this ages ago for sourcing and selecting 3M branded filament tape for packaging and another project. The solutions are being used to this day.

https://www.mobilesentrix.com/catalo...mNzvU3q&q=tape
    Last edited by mon2; 03-15-2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X