Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Is the latop fixed now?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
      Is the latop fixed now?

Regards
      Hey Steve, sadly no, I haven't had an opportunity to look at it, and have only done what I wrote in the last post. Still having hopes that this can be fixed, it just bothers me that it is completely dead now, where as before it actually could boot, but not charge through AC.

Comment

Yea i do not understand it too maybe not good charging ic. Or the first and second mosfets are bad because ac drive should be 25 v . If you don't have a short what it can pull down at signal i would think maybe a bad replacement ic if you soldered right. I would track down that signalto the first and second mosfet gates.

Good luck

Keep me posted

Comment

These are the most important pins from the ic.

Regards

Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

UPDATE:
            Replaced the DC-in mosfets and charging IC, and the machine now boots, but only when AC is plugged in. So I managed to fix the AC charging, but the machine turns off when unplugged. The battery charging diode is showing, and the machine seems to detect the battery just fine, but when unplugged, it immediately dies... I have somehow reversed the issues the machine had, when I got it, it would boot fine with only the battery, but would not charge, now the machine boots with AC, and seems to charge, but dies when unplugging it... I'm pulling my hairs out..

EDIT:
            Checked battery voltage with MM, and it seems completely dead, even though Windows says 99%, gonna let it be plugged in for a while and check if voltage increases...
            Last edited by jacobtc; 06-04-2022, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Hi what are the voltages on the charging ic now?

Comment

See attached.

1) As per @Stevedb, what is the voltage of pin # 15 (BATPRES#) ?

This is an ACTIVE LOW signal so if a LOW voltage then a battery IS present and will be detected by this charger IC.

2) Voltage readings on the following pins ?

pin 23 (LODRV)
                pin 26 (HIDRV)

pin 19 (SRN)
                pin 20 (SRP)
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                  see attached.

1) as per @stevedb, what is the voltage of pin # 15 (batpres#) ?

This is an active low signal so if a low voltage then a battery is present and will be detected by this charger ic.

2) voltage readings on the following pins ?

Pin 23 (lodrv)
                  pin 26 (hidrv)

pin 19 (srn)
                  pin 20 (srp)

batpres = 0v
                  lodrv = 0v
                  hidrv = 0.223v
                  srn = 0.223v
                  srp = 0.223v

EDIT: ACDRV is 26V
                  Last edited by jacobtc; 06-04-2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

batpres = 0v ; good
                    lodrv = 0v ; not good
                    hidrv = 0.223v ; not good
                    srn = 0.223v ; not good ? (matches hidrv)
                    srp = 0.223v ; not good ? (matches hidrv)

EDIT: ACDRV is 26V ; good
                    You may have a leaky high side mosfet. Locate the mosfets linked to the battery charging - there will be 2 of them. One for HIGH SIDE; One for LOW SIDE.

1) Post the markings on the top side for a review.

2) From the datasheet of the charger IC, these will be N-channel mosfets. So much like the ACDRV signal, the LODRV and HIDRV mosfets must have their GATE voltage ~6 volts higher than the voltage they are passing between SOURCE & DRAIN pins to enable and turn ON the mosfet.

3) Let us check if these mosfets are shorted / defective. Remove all power. No battery. Wait 30 seconds or so to discharge any potential voltage on the logic board.

Multimeter in resistance mode (start with the lowest scale).

Check the resistance across the mosfet pins as follows:

source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8)
                    source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
                    gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

Post the readings for the each mosfet - low side & high side. Also post the scale on your meter used for the measurements.

If you see a '1' on the meter, this means the resistance is higher than the meter scale so switch to the next higher scale.

A low resistance reading = defective mosfet. Mosfets are inexpensive and usually < $ 1 USD each so recommend to replace both mosfets and even consider to buy spares.

We usually buy the mosfets from Aliexpress unless there is a rush. If in a rush, consider to buy from Digikey / Mouser / Arrow or a local electronics distributor. Once we know the markings, other parts can be used a replacement.

The next mosfet to investigate is the BATTERY mosfet which will be linked to the charger IC, pin # 18 => will be connected to the gate (pin # 4) of the mosfet. Search for it and also check the resistance as above.

When and if buying replacement parts, order 1 or few of these as well.

Given the incorrect readings for the LODRV and HIDRV, consider to also check the resistance to GROUND for these pins on the charger IC. That is, if these pins were shorted during the soldering, etc., this can cause the low readings. Also, if the pins are not connected at all from the charger IC to the mosfets, you will see the similar readings.

Post your updates.

Comment

Also the measurements are with battery present i hope?

Also measure the resistance to ground on the pins what @mon2 said that are not good.

Good luck we will fix your laptop.

Comment

You may have a leaky high side mosfet. Locate the mosfets linked to the battery charging - there will be 2 of them. One for HIGH SIDE; One for LOW SIDE.

1) Post the markings on the top side for a review.

2) From the datasheet of the charger IC, these will be N-channel mosfets. So much like the ACDRV signal, the LODRV and HIDRV mosfets must have their GATE voltage ~6 volts higher than the voltage they are passing between SOURCE & DRAIN pins to enable and turn ON the mosfet.

3) Let us check if these mosfets are shorted / defective. Remove all power. No battery. Wait 30 seconds or so to discharge any potential voltage on the logic board.

Multimeter in resistance mode (start with the lowest scale).

Check the resistance across the mosfet pins as follows:

source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8)
                        source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
                        gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

Post the readings for the each mosfet - low side & high side. Also post the scale on your meter used for the measurements.

If you see a '1' on the meter, this means the resistance is higher than the meter scale so switch to the next higher scale.

A low resistance reading = defective mosfet. Mosfets are inexpensive and usually < $ 1 USD each so recommend to replace both mosfets and even consider to buy spares.

We usually buy the mosfets from Aliexpress unless there is a rush. If in a rush, consider to buy from Digikey / Mouser / Arrow or a local electronics distributor. Once we know the markings, other parts can be used a replacement.

The next mosfet to investigate is the BATTERY mosfet which will be linked to the charger IC, pin # 18 => will be connected to the gate (pin # 4) of the mosfet. Search for it and also check the resistance as above.

When and if buying replacement parts, order 1 or few of these as well.

Given the incorrect readings for the LODRV and HIDRV, consider to also check the resistance to GROUND for these pins on the charger IC. That is, if these pins were shorted during the soldering, etc., this can cause the low readings. Also, if the pins are not connected at all from the charger IC to the mosfets, you will see the similar readings.

Post your updates.
                        1) I guess these are the ones I already replaced, see first picture. They both read in the Mohm/kOhm range, so I guess they are good?

3) See 1.

The battery mosfet is the one in picture 2, and shows 0.27ohm from gate to pin 18 on charging IC. This is the only mosfet I haven't replaced on the right side of the board

LODRV and HIDRV both show high resistance (Mohm/kOhm) to ground.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Also the measurements are with battery present i hope?

Also measure the resistance to ground on the pins what @mon2 said that are not good.

Good luck we will fix your laptop.
                          Yes, meassurement were done with AC and battery connected

Comment

Resistance checks are always to be performed WITHOUT power.

Remove the power adapter and remove the battery.

Measure again.

Comment

Resistance checks are always to be performed WITHOUT power.

Remove the power adapter and remove the battery.

Measure again.
                              The resistance checks were done without power

Only the voltage checks were done with power.

Comment

When performing the voltage checks, remove the battery so we can check how far the power adapter travels onto the logic board. The logic board should function with only the power adapter.

Comment

When performing the voltage checks, remove the battery so we can check how far the power adapter travels onto the logic board. The logic board should function with only the power adapter.
                                  Measured on the mosfets along the way from the DC-in. Hope you can read the values, they were drawn on my phone
                                  Attached Files

Comment

What is the resistor value from current resistorr010 to ground. also the resistor value from the mosfet D-G , S-G en D-S from the mosfet and nearby the current resistor.

And also the one you replaced. Maybe they got bad again.

Comment

What is the resistor value from current resistorr010 to ground. also the resistor value from the mosfet D-G , S-G en D-S from the mosfet and nearby the current resistor.

And also the one you replaced. Maybe they got bad again.
                                      Current resistor to ground is around 3 Mohm.

The M3058M mosfet to R010:
                                      Drain: 0.8 Mohm
                                      Source: 0 ohm
                                      Gate: 2 Mohm

D-G: 2.4 Mohm
                                      S-G: 1.9 Mohm
                                      D-S: 1.1 Mohm

The new mosfets also have high values, nothing low.

Comment

Do you have schematics for this logic board ?

Comment

Do you have schematics for this logic board ?
                                          No I don't.

Comment

Working...
                                          X