need advice on desoldering tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advice on desoldering tool

I need to recap 4 motherboards but have no desoldering equipment other than bulb, hand vacuum pump pencil, wick, and a few cheap soldering irons. I found the following on ebay but have no idea which would be better. Anything over $90 is out of the question for me now. If neither of these is better than the cheap manual method I now have, tell me that too. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hakko Ace Model #481 Desoldering Tool

PACE PPS-5 Soldering/Desoldering Station with gun (obviously old)

Re: need advice on desoldering tool

Originally posted by sys-eng View Post
    I need to recap 4 motherboards but have no desoldering equipment other than bulb, hand vacuum pump pencil, wick, and a few cheap soldering irons.
    If you are on a supertight budget or simply don't want to spend the money on it (which is how I started), I found that the cheap irons work fine as long as they are 40W. Get yourself a stainless steel pin or dental pick to clear the holes. I tried every method was frustrated until I started using a stainless steel bobby pin. Now I can clear the holes really easily.

See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=500
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks retiredcaps!

I can see how the ridges of the bobby pin would help hold the solder for removal. Do you push the old capacitor lead lead through the hole with the SS bobby pin?

Comment

Originally posted by sys-eng View Post
        Do you push the old capacitor lead lead through the hole with the SS bobby pin?
        I rock the capacitor back and forth and heat both legs one at a time until the cap comes out. Then I insert the stainsteel pin from the bottom side and heat up the pin and until the pin goes through the hole. Once the pin is through the hole, I remove the iron. Then I can pull the pin out and I have a clean hole.

Practice on some junk boards first and you will get the hang of it really quickly.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          I rock the capacitor back and forth and heat both legs one at a time until the cap comes out. Then I insert the stainsteel pin from the bottom side and heat up the pin and until the pin goes through the hole. Once the pin is through the hole, I remove the iron. Then I can pull the pin out and I have a clean hole.
          That is how I would do it too. I became confused when I read of others cutting the capacitor's case off the leads. This seemed to be very difficult when the capacitor is mounted with the case contacting the PCB.

Comment

Working...
          X