I Need Advice on the purchase of a Multimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Need Advice on the purchase of a Multimeter

Hi i am new to the forum and new to electronics, i am attempting to fix my first monitor and i want to purchase a multimeter that will do the job.

Could anyone give me some suggestions on a multimeter that i can use for testing components. I would like to know what functions i am looking for in a multimeter for doing general work on boards. I would like to purchase a meter of ebay (convenient) that is in the low to mid range.

So if anyone could let me know what type of meters there are to buy and what there pros and cons are it would be appreciated.

A cheap meter would be ideal atm ( under 50$ ) but if its not going to be good for the jobs ahead ill spend more.

Re: I Need Advice on the purchase of a Multimeter

Originally posted by nephilim33 View Post
    Hi i am new to the forum and new to electronics, i am attempting to fix my first monitor and i want to purchase a multimeter that will do the job.
    A cheap meter would be ideal atm ( under 50$ ) but if its not going to be good for the jobs ahead ill spend more.
    I would suggest a Mastech Ms8264 or the identical Sinometer Ms8264. Some people say the sinometer is a less quality item. I cannot comment on that since I have not worked with one. This meter is a decent low cost meter that will do everything you need short of testing capacitors. That requires a seperate esr meter.

Comment

Indeed as i have learned reading the threads, Could i also get a recommendation on a good cheap esr meter.

Comment

I'm partial to Fluke DVM, but nothing wrong with a Tenma DVM from mcm electronics for someone just getting started
        Ron Driver,BSEE,CET,ISCET,NESDA

Comment

Indeed as i have learned reading the threads, Could i also get a recommendation on a good cheap esr meter.
          Not the cheapest but my favorite is the ESR-micro v4.0. It displays both parameters at the same time. Also on the multimeter the ms8264 has a manual function dial, if you want an auto-ranging meter then the model is Mastech MS8268. Auto-range meters are a little slower at getting a stable reading.

Comment

Same here on Fluke based on experience with everything else I've purchased and destroyed. I can't kill this Fluke had it 12 years. However you don't want to pay $300 for something that your never going to use it everyday, theirs a Fluke 119 ranging around $100 that might do everything you want.

Comment

1) Your fellow countryman, Dave Jones over at eevblog.com, has a $50 multimeter shootout

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/06/04/ee...eter-shootout/

2) A buyer's guide is also at

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/04/14/ee...-buying-guide/

3) Martin Lorton buyer's guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC_Qh...ure=plpp_video

4) If you are patient, you can get some good deals on used multimeters off ebay (like I have).
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Spitz View Post
                Auto-range meters are a little slower at getting a stable reading.
                I'll contest the above as a not being true as a general statement.

I have now used about 15 different multimeters both autoranging and manual from different manufacturers.

Some autoranging multimeters inlcuding my Fluke 27 are slow to display a reading since it only updates the screen 2 times/sec. Others like my Fluke 83III are lightning fast at displaying a reading (4 times/sec). I also have some manual ranging multimeters that are very slow (worse than 2 times/sec).

For troubleshooting lcds, I think an autorange multimeter is more efficient than a manual. While troubleshooting, I may have to measure the large filter cap (165V DC), the 5V standby, secondary voltages like 24V DC and some voltage regulators at 1.8V DC. For an autorange multimeter, I just leave it on the DC V setting. For a manual range multimeter, I have to switch the dial 4 times (200V, 20V, and back to 200V to 2000mV) in the above scenario.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by JimmysTGP View Post
                  theirs a Fluke 119 ranging around $100 that might do everything you want.
                  I think you made a typo, there is no Fluke 119, but you can get a brand new Fluke 117 off USA ebay like these 2 auctions (now ended)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280899544934

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140770155470
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

There is also a Fluke 179, which if you are patient, can be purchased in the $100 range off ebay.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

From

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...67&postcount=4

Originally posted by walking View Post
                      Unless you're going to later "fix" heart monitors or passenger aircraft systems don't spend more than $20.
                      I managed to get a Fluke 27 for $20. Although it is probably more than 20 years old, it is as accurate as my other Fluke multimeters and MORE accurate than the non Flukes.

PS. I'm not a Fluke fan boy, but it is the easiest multimeter to purchase used as there are quite of few them versus every other brand. I have managed to get 6 used Flukes for under $50 each (sometimes well under).
                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-04-2012, 10:33 PM.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

From

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...27&postcount=5

Originally posted by scampo77 View Post
                        you need to look for 2 things fixing monitors. for the meter you need to find is a true RMS meter. these are far more accurate and far more stable.
                        We, the regulars, rarely, ever ask people to do any sort of AC measurement. So for troubleshooting lcd/TV purposes, a true RMS multimeter is not required.

We usually ask for DC voltage and resistance measurements 99% of the time. We also rarely ask for current measurements.

when measuring a voltage regulator that is +- 10% and it is 1.8v the difference between 1.86v and 1.78v can really help you when diagnosing these things.
                        I hope you mean 1.0% (one) percent. And voltage regulators found in lcds/TVs are usually DC voltage regulators so no true RMS is required.
                        Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-04-2012, 10:37 PM.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                        X