Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solder extractor

New toy just arrived!

I ordered a solder extractor for £19.99 from Maplins but I didn't hold out much hope for it being any good. I was wrong its a decent size with a good fan and spare filters. Its surprisingly good quality for 20 quid with free delivery!

No more sniffing fumes!
    Attached Files
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Re: Solder extractor

These fume extractors are of dubious benefit... I know a little about activated charcoal filtration to know that the carbon isn't going to absorb the fumes that quickly... The only thing working for this is that it's sucking the fumes away from you, which can also be accomplished with any ordinary fan.

Personally, I have found that "no clean" solder fumes are significantly more putrid than those that emanate from Rosin Activated Solder (Which I believe means that the flux core of the solder is acid based, not organic - pine resin, or whatever it is they use).

Having said this, I personally believe no-clean is actually more toxic. I'm starting to experiment with RA (Hoping that the flux is not as corrosive as plumbing flux).
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Re: Solder extractor

I built mine out of an old computer speaker box that was blown. Put an old computer fan on it to suck the fumes and smoke too out of your eyes and face. The fumes don't bother me at all.

Comment

Working...
      X