Hakko Solder Tip: Real or Knock-off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hakko Solder Tip: Real or Knock-off?

I was hoping to get some feed back on whether or not my new "Hakko" tips are real or knock-offs. These are the first tips I have ever bought for my 936 station so I am not sure what to look for in the case of knock-off tips. My original tip has a sleeve where the new ones will not fit onto the sleeve, however they will fit if I do not use the sleeve. I have not tried to use them yet so I do not know how they perform. So, are they OEM, fake and good enough to use or fake and do not use? Constructive input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lloyd
    Attached Files

Re: Hakko Solder Tip: Real or Knock-off?

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
    So, are they OEM, fake and good enough to use or fake and do not use?
    Based on my research in the past, most, but not all the Hakko tips on ebay are fake.

If you want a low cost real Hakko alternative, have a read through

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...66&postcount=9
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have some just like that, just that mine are thin and sharp because i use the thermally controlled station (Gordak 936A) only on very fine parts, i have another, more basic one for general thru-hole work.

I don't know whether they're original or fake, i've bought the tips from a local store, same one i bought the Gordak station from. So far the first one has been holding up quite well.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

You should look for FX888 tips, those should be compatible but a few mm longer than the old tips.

My spare tips are probably fake, because they don't have any code engraved on them, the finishing on the not-tip side is also not perfect .. but they came sealed as a pack of 2.

I tried another tip shape which is similar at the other end on my Hakko 907 hand piece and they fit perfectly so I don't know what to tell you.

See attached pics

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
          ... My original tip has a sleeve where the new ones will not fit onto the sleeve, however they will fit if I do not use the sleeve. ...
          All my tips came from tequipment.NET or hakkousa.com, so I certainly hope they're genuine. If you look really close, all of them have a thin sleeve inside. It normally doesn't come out, but it did on my oldest tip (like yours), probably from thermal cycling. I don't know how good counterfeit tips are, but I wonder if they include the sleeve?

Comment

Thanks for the reply's everyone. Retiredcaps, I tried to order some tips from the place referenced in your provided link. The prices were good but PayPal gave me a strange message about not being able to pay the seller. So I am not sure what to make of that..... kinda makes me nervous. I think I may try the seller that sold me the 900M-T-K tips, if they are fake they did a good job IMO. At the worst I will just be out a few bucks, it is not like I am buying a truck load.

The 900M-T-K tips were larger than I realized and way too big for most of my projects. I just need a spare 1.6D and I am going to get a 2.4D to play with for now. I will look into the FX888 tips in the future, I just want to get something on the way for now as you can see my original tip has seen better days.

Originally posted by modemhead View Post
            All my tips came from tequipment.NET or hakkousa.com, so I certainly hope they're genuine. If you look really close, all of them have a thin sleeve inside. It normally doesn't come out, but it did on my oldest tip (like yours), probably from thermal cycling. I don't know how good counterfeit tips are, but I wonder if they include the sleeve?
            I was wondering about the sleeve, so thanks for this information. I did not notice a sleeve in the 900M-T-K tips but I will look again with a magnifying glass out of curiosity. Do the markings on the ones you get look like my new one or are they in the style of my original tip? That could be a clue also.

I just cannot believe the piddly crap someone will go to the trouble to fake.

Thanks again,
            Lloyd

Comment

Here's a couple of shots of a relatively new T18-D16, which is the replacement for 900M-T-1.6D. It fits the 907 handpiece of my older 936 station. First picture shows the markings, second picture is the internal sleeve. Strictly speaking, the markings don't look like either of yours. They look sort of 'burned' in.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the images. My original 1.6D tip is probably 12 yrs old. When I got my 936 about 2 years ago it was already about 10 years old but it had never been used. That may be why it looks different.
                Last edited by LDSisHere; 10-20-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by modemhead View Post
                  They look sort of 'burned' in.
                  Engraved by Laser ..

Comment

Working...
                  X