Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new "Blue" ESR tester

Hi, Bob,
    Yes, thanks for the clarifications. For the last item about open test leads, I wasn't referring to measuring at the test leads but at IC2 pin 8. At that point, the pulses are already amplified to 5V level (with test leads open). I should have made that clear.

Comment

LDSishere, Werker batteries are Batteries Plus brand and I think made by Duracell. May want to look into them to see if they werk. That is what I have in mine and it fits snug but comes out pretty easily. I think the reason Duracell works good is because of the way they wrap the logos around it.

Comment

Wow. I'm shocked at some of the dialouge in the middle of this thread. Since most of my projects are older LCD monitors and computer motherboards. The BLUE ESR meter is my #1 diagnostic tool. I can test all of the capacitors of any PSU or logic board or motherboard in 5 to 10 minutes. The BLUE ESR meter has found bad caps 100% of the time for me. I couldn't ask for a better diagnostic tool. As for the price, it's the best investment I ever made in an electronic diagnostic tool. It's made me 1000's of dollars.
        And yes, the battery has to be pried out. So what! I like it being snug and not rattling

I only have one thing to say. "Thanks Bob!" G'day mate, and cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
          Wow. I'm shocked at some of the dialouge in the middle of this thread. Since most of my projects are older LCD monitors and computer motherboards. The BLUE ESR meter is my #1 diagnostic tool. I can test all of the capacitors of any PSU or logic board or motherboard in 5 to 10 minutes. The BLUE ESR meter has found bad caps 100% of the time for me. I couldn't ask for a better diagnostic tool. As for the price, it's the best investment I ever made in an electronic diagnostic tool. It's made me 1000's of dollars.
          And yes, the battery has to be pried out. So what! I like it being snug and not rattling

I second this as well
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            I second this as well
            Some people think the more money you spend the better the results. I disagree. Some things work just as good at cheaper prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post

G'day there Lumberjack777, twbranch and Sam_Sam_Sam! Sounds like you've been watching Crocodile Dundee movies.

I really appreciate hearing that the old ESR meter design is doing for you what I designed it to do. It's great that you know it's just another electronic tool which needs some knowledge to understand what it's telling you.

A big Thank You to everyone here who's been supportive and also given constructive, intelligent criticism of the Blue ESR meter. Cheers to you too, mates!

Bob
              It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

You are very welcome Bob. I had no idea you were a member of this forum when I joined. I am glad I got to actually tell the person who designed it how much I like it. Thanks again!

Comment

I appreciate the blue ESR meter's design too, even though I do not have one, it does look pretty decent. Thumbs up!
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I'm still happy with mine

Had good fun building it too.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by twbranch View Post
                      You are very welcome Bob. I had no idea you were a member of this forum when I joined. I am glad I got to actually tell the person who designed it how much I like it. Thanks again!
                      From one professional technician to another.... thanks, mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post

Thanks! Us people down below the equator have to stick together.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post

It was fun and only took about an hour or so. It has been a while but I remember I was using it pretty quickly after I got it.

You are welcome Bob! And you guys below the equator have a friend in the US!

Comment

Originally posted by twbranch View Post
                            It was fun and only took about an hour or so. It has been a while but I remember I was using it pretty quickly after I got it.

You are welcome Bob! And you guys below the equator have a friend in the US!
                            Sorry for the delay in replying... I've driven 500 miles since I was on here last time and I'm still catching up.

The USA and Down Under Australia have a lot in common and as we say down here, "Good on ya, mate!".

Comment

Working...
                            X