Cheap but not too awful test leads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap but not too awful test leads?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a set of DMM test probes?

Something with flexible wires and right angle plugs. Not junky, but under $10 (USD).

The highest voltage I ever expect to use them for would be 120V AC, but most of what I need to measure is low voltage/current DC.

I was going to randomly pick some off ebay, but thought I'd ask here first.

Re: Cheap but not too awful test leads?

Originally posted by Alohamora View Post
    Something with flexible wires and right angle plugs. Not junky, but under $10 (USD).
    Fluke TL75 are nice. I have them at home and like the feel. They don't get tangled and are made of silicon. They also nice and long. I buy all my Fluke stuff used and some of the TL75 probes that came with the multimeter have dulled tips, but since I'm not sure how they were used or abused, I can't complain for the price that I paid. Some of the test leads are sharp, but I have no idea how long it will last since I haven't had them too long.

TL75 auction now ($9.99 starting bid + $3 USD shipping) ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280952081067

The same seller above had a completed auction and the same TL75 only had 2 bids and the winning bid was $10.50 ($13.50 total).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271040524567

These ones looked interesting to me, but they are no longer being sold and I don't have first hand experience with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140777613209
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-30-2012, 10:12 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Just checking out ebay again and saw these ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271043783169

Ask if the seller can ship at a lower price than the stated $9.51 and maybe you can get the whole thing < $10.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        Fluke TL75 are nice. I have them at home and like the feel. They don't get tangled and are made of silicon.
        TL75 leads are quality leads but have PVC insulation, not silicone. Fluke TL71 leads are the ones that have silicone insulation. I like the silicone insulation better, since it has less "memory" than PVC and thus doesn't tangle as easily.

If you've ever been frustrated with wondering why your meter was acting funny, only to find out it was cheap leads, you'll want to pay the extra few bucks for a name-brand set. Speaking of which, Pomona is a good brand. I think all the good Fluke stuff comes from Pomona anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by modemhead View Post
          TL75 leads are quality leads but have PVC insulation, not silicone.
          Ahh yes, thanks for correction. I got the model numbers confused.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

At that price range the best deal is those Amprobe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amprobe-MTL-...item2c677a483b

Comment

If the non-tangling ones are silicone, then silicone is what I want to get. (I have a set like that on one meter)

This looks interesting, UL listed, silicone, from a US source. This is the first one I found that actually meets my budget. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIP-Set-of-U...-/251142184904

Googling the part number I didn't find much about them except the company's catalog.

Comment

Those probes does not have exposed tips, and so they will ruin your day.

Comment

That is interesting, I've never heard of Totaline. Appears to be a distributor of HVAC parts related to the Carrier brand. Maybe they're "not too awful", or maybe they're just re-branded stuff from Hong Kong, can't say. I can say that silicone-insulated leads are definitely better-behaved and more flexible than PVC, especially in lower temperatures.

Comment

The true professionals mostly care the probes to have a rubberize feeling so to not be slippery, that is a major reason of an severe accident.

Basically every good multimeter above the 120$ mark comes with acceptable test leads.
                    What the silicone will have to offer if your multimeter is worst in quality than a toy ?

The recent pictures about those Amprobe MTL-90B they do not look like the set that I own.
                    Here is some pictures of my own.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                      The true professionals mostly care the probes to have a rubberize feeling so to not be slippery, that is a major reason of an severe accident.

Basically every good multimeter above the 120$ mark comes with acceptable test leads.
                      What the silicone will have to offer if your multimeter is worst in quality than a toy ?

The recent pictures about those Amprobe MTL-90B they do not look like the set that I own.
                      Here is some pictures of my own.
                      Thank you for spotting the probe tips, I didn't notice that in the close-up photo.

However, you are making assumptions about my equipment and requirements. What if I just bought a good quality used meter that came without leads? I am not a professional, but I do have enough formal education and experience to be aware of the limitations of my equipment (and my own limitations).

Comment

It is likely that those plastic guard pieces on the end are removable. You could ask the eBay seller to check.

Comment

What if I just bought a good quality used meter that came without leads?
                          You came to ask for opinions, you got them and they are truly valuable.
                          I am not going to get in endless conversation for 5$ extra.

Comment

Eventually, I'm finding Mastech, Uni-T and Extech leads all in the 6 to 10 dollar range. Just so much junk to sort past in the low $ ranges.

Mastech http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Meter-...-/330732891959

Uni-T http://www.ebay.com/itm/150812077333?

Extech http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTECH-Gener...-/190720100404

I'm still interested in the Totaline ones because they claim to be UL listed.

I am not going to get in endless conversation for 5$ extra.
                            Once you count shipping, those were $12 over budget. If I were to go that route, it looks like real Fluke leads are available on Amazon.com at decent prices. (Amazon free shipping eligible).

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-TL71-Pre...ds=test+probes

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Corporat...ds=test+probes

One more for the low budget group, Fluke TL10
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-TL10-...-/200729798304
                            Last edited by Alohamora; 09-01-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

First picture probes by CHI-SHING which now works exclusively as OEM and is the source that does the Agilent probes.

Second picture the basic Fluke leads TL75

Third picture the imaginary miracle of FLUKE TL-71 that I got from UK.

Fourth picture the TL71 Box.

I am a nut case about test leads, I have pay lots of cash just to break down the myth of the amazing probes.

The truth comes to you only by making true comparisons.
                              I have also buy the Amprobe and another set from an English company called as GUNSON 77019 Multimeter leads accessory set CATIII.

And my vote goes to modular tests leads of Agilent / CHI-SHING / GUNSON.
                              Note: The Agilent version has rubberize feeling on the probes and great cables.

Last and not least the TP88 pins.

The test leads and their accessories is a huge and costly chapter.
                              And the most wise is if you plan buying them by the piece, is to be compatible between them.
                              By having in mind that in long term you will have a true set of accessories.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I ended up buying the total line probes and they arrived today. The brand name molded on the probe is "Summit". The plastic protector does unscrew, leaving a conventional looking probe tip exposed (sharp points). The probe handle is marked 1000V Cat III and 600V Cat IV, 10A. Also the probes have the CE mark, the UL mark and the two squares, one inside the other (what's this mean? I have seen it on other electronics, hard to google it when I don't have a name for the marking). They look and feel well made.

Comment

I ended up buying the total line probes and they arrived today.
                                  Pictures?

Also the probes have the CE mark, the UL mark and the two squares, one inside the other (what's this mean?
                                  http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/aboutul/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sounds like you made a decent choice considering the budget.
                                    ... and the two squares, one inside the other (what's this mean? I have seen it on other electronics, hard to google it when I don't have a name for the marking). ...
                                    "Double-insulated". Normally it means a small appliance or tool does not need a earth/ground wire due to its having two layers of insulation between the user and a potential shock hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by modemhead View Post
                                      "Double-insulated". Normally it means a small appliance or tool does not need a earth/ground wire due to its having two layers of insulation between the user and a potential shock hazard.
                                      Ahh, I thought he was asking about the two letter codes.

Thanks for catching that.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The brand name molded on the probe is "Summit".......... the UL mark ....They look and feel well made.
                                        About the UL you can make a phone call to the UL organization and ask if they know anything about this brand name.
                                        You are not the first one who possibly get scammed by no-name fakes.

About the feeling as well made.. I would ask compared with what ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X