Tektronix RS-232 Hook-up Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tektronix RS-232 Hook-up Question

I have a Tektronix 2221a Oscilloscope and I noticed there is a RS-232 connection on the side and options in settings for it being used to plot. Now seeing that I have a extra RS-232 cable laying around the house and I just so happened to resurrect a laptop that has it a connection on the back as well. I did what most of you guys would have done! PLUGGED IT IN! ahhh, yea... Nothing happened, which I was NOT expecting anything to. So I went into the plotter settings and started playing with that and it would not let me move past the XY plot because I needed some kind of RS-232 connected. My questions is does anyone know if Tektronix had a program or if there is any 3rd party program out there that would get this to work? Or how about this... How does this work?

Thanks in advanced!

Thank you,
    -Peter

Re: Tektronix RS-232 Hook-up Question

You would connect an XY plotter to this 25-pin RS232 connector, one that has an RS232 serial interface. You can also connect a laser printer that has an RS232 interface, or any serial printer that has RS232 interface. For the cabling, it's a simple straight-through cable. You want to connect a DCE to a DTE. A printer is the DTE. I kinda doubt there is a program designed to interface a PC to receive plotting data, although I'm sure one can indeed be written for this purpose.
    Last edited by MDOC; 10-08-2012, 08:05 AM. Reason: Posted accidentally before I was finished

Comment

Okay, thank you for clearing that up! I wonder if anyone has tried to write any program for that... Well at least I know what it does now, the user guide just refers you to another user guide that I can't find anywhere. Again, thank you!

Comment

A little search and I got this Tek 2221 brochure which, on the next to last page, talks about the RS232 software utilities that gives the basis for what you're looking for. However, I'll bet Tektronix don't have them anymore. It's at:
        Last edited by MDOC; 10-08-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Nice! Now I'll just try to track this software down... seeing that it was put on a 5.25" drive (hahaha) shows it's age and limits my chances. I think I will try Tektronix see what they know about it. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X