This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

I have a question. I've replaced about 1000 caps in the last year and I have a huge bin filled with the bad caps. I've seen plenty of Panasonic caps on boards, but I've never had to replace one. Most of these are the miniature ovens that will kill most any cap with time. I've replaced hundreds of Rubycon caps in GX270 and SX270 models, but the Panasonic caps are always fine. Does anyone ever come across bad Panasonic caps?

Comment

^
      Yes, all the time in GX620's, SX280's, SX270's, GX745's, and many others.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by kgordon View Post
        Here are 4 photos of the bad caps on the EVGA e-GeForce 7600GS video card. I hope they are clear enough. If they aren't, I'll redo them.

As I said, when this thing blew up, it took out the mobo too. :-(
        Those look very similar to the ones on this FX5200 I found lying around in my parts bin. 3 X F72 1000uf 16v's & 2 X F272 1000uf 6.3v's
        Will any cap with a good rep and the same ratings be sufficient?

I'm considering popping my cap cherry on this card!
        Can you guys recommend the right parts to replace them with, and if there's any fellow Aussies here, if there's a reliable local supplier of decent parts?
        Attached Files

Comment

These for the bigger ones, these for the smaller ones. Yes, it is OK to replace a 6.3v cap with a 10v cap. Unfortunately, No australian suppliers sell them, so you have to order from overseas.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            These for the bigger ones, these for the smaller ones. Yes, it is OK to replace a 6.3v cap with a 10v cap. Unfortunately, No australian suppliers sell them, so you have to order from overseas.
            Thank you for replying with those links
            Are they the same as these ones from Jaycar?:

Comment

Orpheous, where are you ? - good idea to use User CP (User Control Panel) on left near top to include location in your profile

Is it Jaycar NZ ?

In Melbourne, Jaycar discontinued Samxon in favour of Suntan - Suntan has the bullseye type of bung that usually identifies bad caps

The Samxon that Jaycar used to stock in Melbourne were type GF, whereas recommended types for motherboards are GD, GC & GA

Samxon type GF have a poor reputation on this forum, with bad ones showing up often in threads about displays

Having said that, I used GFs from Jaycar a while ago to fix some Epox SocketA motherboards, with a successful outcome
              better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

No. They're not the same. As I said, I don't know of any australian suppliers that carry suitable motherboard caps. If your lucky, you may get away with using them, but it is NOT recommended.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                  Orpheous, where are you ?
                  Thanks fo the reply, I'm in Cairns, FNQ... CP changed to suit
                  Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                  Is it Jaycar NZ ?
                  I was just looking at the Australian site, which doesn't specify the series, only a part number. I still have much to learn!

No. They're not the same. As I said, I don't know of any australian suppliers that carry suitable motherboard caps. If your lucky, you may get away with using them, but it is NOT recommended.
                  I'm still considering giving them a shot, the card is one of about 30 that have been put aside for testing, and it's only worth about AU$40 new (circa '06 AGP w/DDR) so if it works it's a little bonus.

Comment

Orpheous,

Pictures of low ESR capacitors on www.jaycar.com.au are probably out of date and their shops only stock Suntan

Is there a Jaycar shop or agent in Cairns, or do you need to mail order ?

If there's somewhere local that stocks Samxon GF, probably worth giving them a go, seeing FX5200s aren't worth much

Even Jaycar's Suntan, provided you don't have high expectations of long life or intend to put repaired FX5200s in critical systems

If your first try is a success, you'd need to think about getting future capacitor supplies from overseas

Problem with overseas is cost of shipping, and possibility of getting fakes if you buy through eBay

If this was my first try, I'd pay Jaycar's exorbitant price for capacitors to do one repair, and see how it went

Jaycar's low ESR capacitors used to be all 10v - as c_hegge advised, it's OK to use 10v as replacements for 6.3v, provided dimensions are suitable
                    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Just thought I'd reply to say thank you to those who have posted useful information here in the past, and especially to pfrcom and c_hegge for steering me in the right direction with local supplies.

I ended up going down to the local Jaycar store, rifling through their low esr stock and buying a heap of their old Samxon GF stock which I used to successfully repair 2 old FX5200's and an MX440.
                      I sourced some decent caps (Nichicon HZ's) and when they arrived the other day I had a go at replacing some bulging caps in the power circuit of an HP 17" LCD panel that kept turning itself off.

So far only 1 of the graphics cards that I've tried to fix hasn't worked, and I'm enjoying bringing life to my old parts that I couldn't bear to throw away.

Comment

counterfeit nichicon vz.
                        like why bother?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Orpheous View Post
                          I ended up going down to the local Jaycar store, rifling through their low esr stock and buying a heap of their old Samxon GF stock which I used to successfully repair 2 old FX5200's and an MX440.
                          samxon GF arent that great quality. they are unreliable. the GF=GirlFriends, and girlfirends are unreliable

@kc8adu: how can you tell those are fakes?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                            counterfeit nichicon vz.
                            like why bother?
                            Makes as much sense as counterfeiting pennies.
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

color,print quality,bung.
                              Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                              samxon GF arent that great quality. they are unreliable. the GF=GirlFriends, and girlfirends are unreliable

@kc8adu: how can you tell those are fakes?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                That's ok, I'll be sure to not put them onto anything I have to live with, just a few dirty little cards on the side maybe ;P

Comment

Stone caps from a TV Tuner card:

The only PCI-E slot that the card was able to be used in positioned the 85C caps only a few millemetres above the southbridge heatsink.

Ripple rating on the "general purpose" Stone caps was 740... I didn't have any 105C general purpose suitable caps around so I used some Chemicon KZE 16V 1000uF caps instead. Although the KZE's have around 3 times the ripple rating, the card has been running flawlessly since I swapped them out
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Orpheous View Post
                                    Although the KZE's have around 3 times the ripple rating, the card has been running flawlessly since I swapped them out
                                    Well that's the point - higher ripple ratings = better.
                                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

another fake capacitor

more info

Comment

printing is wrong too.should be readable with the leads down.i dont remember any mfr doing the opposite.

Comment

I don't know of any Australian suppliers that carry suitable motherboard caps. If your lucky, you may get away with using them, but it is NOT recommended.

Wiltronics in Alfredton Victoria are (amongst other things) a Jaycar sub-agent, they stock lowESR Hitano capacitors (EXR series) which I've used to successfully repair motherboards & power supplies and compare well in specifications to the premium SamXon offerings (which I use when I have stock)
                                          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
                                          X