This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Our in-house techie (he's just a network guy, which in my mind was a skill set you gain on top of being a PC technician, like me but he's not really knowledgeable about hardware, and can't even begin to do component level repair "lucky me") gave me a Dell E198WFPf monitor which he said was switching on and off, intermittently. He was going to throw it out, but I told him I could probably fix it so he said, "Go ahead and take it."

It was two 'lytics next to a regulator that popped. I recapped the whole PCB for $11 worth of 'lytics plus a few bucks shipping. Using it, now. Yay!
    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics View Post
      Our in-house techie (he's just a network guy, which in my mind was a skill set you gain on top of being a PC technician, like me but he's not really knowledgeable about hardware, and can't even begin to do component level repair "lucky me") gave me a Dell E198WFPf monitor which he said was switching on and off, intermittently. He was going to throw it out, but I told him I could probably fix it so he said, "Go ahead and take it."

It was two 'lytics next to a regulator that popped. I recapped the whole PCB for $11 worth of 'lytics plus a few bucks shipping. Using it, now. Yay!
      You gotta love psu/inverter issues... the crears of free curbside LCDs. Sweet score.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Found a Pace Micro Portable Desoldering station. After a small cleanup, thing works like a charm. Been using it for a year now
        "Is that broken?"
        "Yeah.."
        "Sorry... Can i have it?"

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Scored one of these for $25.00 at the goodwill store. They thought it was a TV! Morons!! 30" 16:10 2560x1600 monitor!! YAY!! They marked it down from $50 because it didn't come with a remote... I love idiots!!

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar.../dp/B004KKGF1O

Now I need to find another one...a pair in a dual config would be peachy!!
          Just a follow-up...I scored a 'for repair' one on ebay, so I can run them dual.....seller said just shows bars and lines, which is a dead ringer for a t-con problem....for 225 bucks shipped.... What the seller failed to mention is the monitor was dropped, and there's a crack in the corner of the panel....bastard!!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Just a follow-up...I scored a 'for repair' one on ebay, so I can run them dual.....seller said just shows bars and lines, which is a dead ringer for a t-con problem....for 225 bucks shipped.... What the seller failed to mention is the monitor was dropped, and there's a crack in the corner of the panel....bastard!!
            That blows.

---

Scored a lightly used in-box XFX Nvidia 7600GS AGP card (512MB) for $25. Runs well... it has a few caps that I'll replace just to be safe ( elcon). Already de-gummed the heatsinks and swapped for AS5.

I also got a Visio Xwr100 for $15... getting ready to test, it's what was supposed to be the Linksys wrt420 before the linksys lineup got cut down. There also happens to be an OpenWRT image for it that somebody made... for $15 with dual band, I don't think I did too bad?

Worst case, I learn how to tweak dd-wrt images and mod the similar wrt400n image using the stock source code from visio (as the stock shit is linux).
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              A PNY 9800GT 1GB The 9800GT has no video output according to seller, so that one could be anything..
              I'm beginning to suspect a pandemic for PNY 9800 GTs. They seem to often just suddenly die!

A worker I had in 2009, had a PNY and it was a GeForce 9800 GT.

Suddenly, on one day in 2009, the system fails to detect it, just flat out died!
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-07-2014, 07:01 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                That blows.

---

Scored a lightly used in-box XFX Nvidia 7600GS AGP card (512MB) for $25. Runs well... it has a few caps that I'll replace just to be safe ( elcon). Already de-gummed the heatsinks and swapped for AS5.

I also got a Visio Xwr100 for $15... getting ready to test, it's what was supposed to be the Linksys wrt420 before the linksys lineup got cut down. There also happens to be an OpenWRT image for it that somebody made... for $15 with dual band, I don't think I did too bad?

Worst case, I learn how to tweak dd-wrt images and mod the similar wrt400n image using the stock source code from visio (as the stock shit is linux).
                Got OpenWRT (Attitude Adjustment) working on the router. Both radios work too. For $15, I'm calling it a deal.
                sigpic

Comment

just got a box of 7 seagate barracuda SATA HDDs on a curb alert. it also had an 80gb WD and a working quantum bigfoot (forgot the size already) along with the seagates.
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                    just got a box of 7 seagate barracuda SATA HDDs on a curb alert. it also had an 80gb WD and a working quantum bigfoot (forgot the size already) along with the seagates.
                    Are they all good?
                    sigpic

Comment

all good?
                      Hehe, Quantum Bigfoot drivers are never "all good" . May work, but don't put your most precious and valuable data on it.
                      By the way, that free HP Photosmart B209a I last posted about - definitely NOT a best score as I found that the print head really is damaged (black print head has chips and cracks on it from wear, so some of its control pins are shorted). But I finally got it to the point where I can at least use the scanner. Took lots of thinkering and disassembly. It was fun, though. I think I'll do a thread on that one. HP incorporated lots of "interesting" things in the design.
                      Last edited by momaka; 02-08-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Look forward to reading about the HP.

I got a free Cisco managed 48 port gig E +4 SFP apparently it is bad. But it looks pristine inside and when I plug Ethernet cable in the light for the port goes on... Ordered a console cable so hsvent actually done any testing. It's from 2005 but can't argue with the price!

Comment

Are they all good?
                          yeh they all work, and all the seagates have dental records from a dental company here in denver too.
                          Last edited by goontron; 02-08-2014, 07:59 PM.
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

was given a complete Gateway machine today. Mint condition, c2d, 2gb ram 500gb hdd, dvdrw......and a kickass 17" CRT monitor. Don't know if it works yet, I'll test it tomorrow..... Has icky vista on it.....that will disappear!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

yeh they all work, and all the seagates have dental records from a dental company here in denver too.
                              wipe it or you could be in big trouble. actually, you posting that could be enough. Hope no denver cops come looking here... As the HIPPA hippo will always crush you, even if you didn't do anything wrong.
                              sigpic

Comment

wipe it or you could be in big trouble. actually, you posting that could be enough. Hope no denver cops come looking here... As the HIPPA hippo will always crush you, even if you didn't do anything wrong.
                                actually i live across county borders, so they wold have to do bits and pieces of paperwork, giving me some time to destroy the drives. more than likely by heating them past the curie temp. anyway does the line "dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sde" mean anything?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

anyway does the line "dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sde" mean anything?
                                  Might want to use /dev/urandom instead. It'll be faster.

---------------------

I managed to find a Packard Bell "Legend 115 Supreme" computer for sale for $6.65. It has a 100 MHz Pentium CPU, a 1.2 GB Seagate Medalist SL hard drive, integrated video (with 1 MB of VRAM, upgradeable to 2 MB), and 8 MB of RAM (upgradable to 128 MB). It runs Windows 95 quite well.

As for capacitors, the motherboard has all Panasonic caps. The power supply, though, (DVE 150 Watt) has Tosin caps on the primary and CapXon on the secondary. They're all still good, though.

The only problem that it had when I got it was that the fan clipped to the front of the case had fallen off and was laying on the motherboard. That was easy enough to fix. The thing seems like it was hardly ever used - no dust on the inside, the warranty sticker was intact when I got it, and the sticker on top of the case was still on it.

Comment

Scored one of these for $25.00 at the goodwill store. They thought it was a TV! Morons!! 30" 16:10 2560x1600 monitor!! YAY!! They marked it down from $50 because it didn't come with a remote... I love idiots!!

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar.../dp/B004KKGF1O

Now I need to find another one...a pair in a dual config would be peachy!!
                                    That's a pretty fine score there! And it's a 16:10 monitor, not that 16:9 crap.

was given a complete Gateway machine today. Mint condition, c2d, 2gb ram 500gb hdd, dvdrw......and a kickass 17" CRT monitor.
                                    I was talking with a classmate of mine last week. We were just discussing computers and what not and then he said something like, "oh yeah, my laptop is ancient too now... it's got a C2D in it". Me: . Of course, I had to shut him up... told him I still have and use a Pentium 3 laptop as my school laptop (which is actually true). His reaction:

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                    wipe it or you could be in big trouble. actually, you posting that could be enough.
                                    Riiiiiight
                                    Man, you acting as if this was some 1984 Big Brother coutry... I mean, it is... but not THAT bad! If it was, I'd be out of here fast! No, really.

Originally posted by shovenose
                                    Look forward to reading about the HP.
                                    Yeah, it's going to take me some time to type that. I wish I could explain things with just a few sentences. But I always end up writing a book .
                                    Last edited by momaka; 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

By the way, I wanted to ask, what do you all think of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-K9AG-Neo.../121269553885?
                                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-HP-Slim.../111272542330?

I bought two broken socket 939 boards from this seller (needed something broken to play with). He/she combined my shipping so I got them cheap (for a socket 939 board, anyways!). One board has just bad caps. Haven't seen them yet (they got delivered to my house).

Should I bite for these as well? They are AM2. I don't have any AM2 CPUs or DDR2 RAM, but they look easily fixable - both have just some bad caps looks like.

Comment

Not a bad deal. I like the second one. Good find! I wouldn't mind snagging it if you don't want it
                                        Edit: Ahhh too bad it has an nvidia chipset
                                        Last edited by Pentium4; 02-10-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Go for it if you like it. Yeah nVidia chipset, but the heatsink looks decent.
                                          I just posted this because this is the second time the seller re-listed those and I'm not sure if they will be re-listed again. For one of the S939 boards I got, I asked if seller still had it because I missed the auction and he/she set up a special auction just for me (now that was cool!). By the way, I have a few more that I have saved in favorites... will post them in an edit shortly, so refresh your browser if you don't see the links below:
                                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Abit-IP35-E-...item19e827345a
                                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/DFI-Lanparty...item1c3c389e01
                                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foxconn-WinF...item1c3c22c8f8
                                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-A8N-E-n...3D171180818324
                                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-A8V-XE-...21269430914%26
                                          Keep in mind neither of these appear to have bad caps, so probably not easy fixes. The Abit seems to have just a slightly bent pin in the lower right corner of the LGA775 CPU socket, so that may be a save. The DFI LanParty just looks interesting. But who knows what else may be wrong with these. Notice that some of them are missing the chipset heatsinks and CPU brackets (the DFI even appears to be missing a cap near the NB, just like the first ASUS). I think a bit pricey for what they are, but just posting my finds aways.
                                          Last edited by momaka; 02-10-2014, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X