Sony 65” issue I caused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony 65” issue I caused

I'm hoping after all the work I put into this I can salvage something. I bought a 65” Sony tv that was flashing three red lights. I opened it and tested the led's and it one strip had failed so I went and preferred them online.

They arrived today and again I stripped the tv down and replaced the led's, but in the process I tore one of the little ribbon cables coming from then iron of the LCD ( See attached pic).

I tried to tape it back down and out the tv back together and the original issue has now gone and the tv boots up but only one half of the screen is displaying correctly. The right side has lines. Can this be repaired or is there something I can do? For my first tv repair it went pretty good considering I was replacing 16 strips of leds.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Sony 65” issue I caused

It's scrap. Salvage all the boards and the strips and try to recoup your money.

You've got to be careful with these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokie365 View Post
      For my first tv repair it went pretty good considering I was replacing 16 strips of leds.

Thanks in advance.
      Pretty good? Sorry, I have bad news for you.

Comment

Ahh no way! I thought if the cable pins made contact with the pads then it could be ok.
        Cheers guys

Comment

If it's scrap then I have often wondered if a domestic iron set to the correct temperature and a microscope to ensure the tracks are lined up would work. There is some information on line I have come across that give details of the bonding and temperature. Maybe worth a search.

Edit
          Thinking about it further if the tracks on the thin panel ribbon have come away then it would never work.
          Last edited by dick_barton; 05-23-2021, 05:24 AM.
          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
            If it's scrap then I have often wondered if a domestic iron set to the correct temperature and a microscope to ensure the tracks are lined up would work. There is some information on line I have come across that give details of the bonding and temperature. Maybe worth a search.

Edit
            Thinking about it further if the tracks on the thin panel ribbon have come away then it would never work.
            A friend is giving me a microscope and soldering set to repair this very thing. He did mention if one of the the tracks has came off we would have to chase it to see where it goes and run a cable to it. It's worth a shot anyway.

Comment

I've tried the iron method to attempt to get the ribbon reattached and I failed every time. My ribbons were only partially detached - I never had one fully detached like yours. Do not apply solder to these ribbons. They are attached by a conductive layer of adhesive. My guess is that they are ultrasonically bonded. Also, the tab has to perfectly aligned to the glass. None of these requirements bode well for a home repair.

Give it a try... Who knows - you may be the first to successfully reattach one of the tabs to a panel. It would give the rest of us hope for future repairs.

Comment

An idea of tab bonding is given here.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZCAMsi2Pls

Comment

The tabs are adhered with special expensive electrically conductive tape, heat and pressure are used to apply it.

Comment

Anisotropic Conductive Film (ACF) Tape

Comment

https://www.dexerials.jp/en/products/acf/cp20000.html
                      150-200degC bonding temperature.
                      Vulcanizing tool for tires comes to my mind, it applies both pressure and temperature. Will need metal adapter piece of right shape.
                      ACF is available on aliexpress.
                      Ready for challenge?

Comment

So I got the microscope and I resoldered the cable. I must of had it slightly offline because when I powered it up the ribbon cable heated up and burnt a little hole. It must of shorted out. It can be done but I failed on this one I'm afraid.

Comment

I have had success soldering some of these flexible ribbon cables (when it's the end that attaches to the board as opposed to the glass that has come loose).
                          Don't make me dig up the pictures...
                          Learner

Comment

Working...
                          X