HP zBook 15 G5 (DA0XW2MBAG0) chip reading problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP zBook 15 G5 (DA0XW2MBAG0) chip reading problems

So I got this zBook G5 i need to reset BIOS password for, and I can't seem to figure out what's the deal with the flash memories here. There's three chips, 25Q128JVSQ that my cheap ass ch341 reads just fine (16MB,EC I guess?) with SOIC8 clip, 25Q80CS1G ("TBT" 1MB) read ok too. No idea what that actually is!

But then there's and the actual BIOS labeled one.

25B256DY{I or 1}G which won't play nice with my clip thanks to the different footprint I guess. Also I can only find this chinese source for it, so I assume it's a drop in replacement for the 25Q256FVEH? I should be able to read it with flashrom&ch314 right? I'm kinda iffy on soldering to the chip, I'm going to desolder it next and see if I can get it to work that way but still I'd like to confirm that it is just a copy of the Winbond chippie. The TBT got ID'd as GigaDevice so I guess that's one of theirs too.

Tips+.bins appreciated

Re: HP zBook 15 G5 (DA0XW2MBAG0) chip reading problems

You need newest flashrom (v1.1) to read 256Mb chips.

And ALWAYS use -verify aswell. If that fails, do not continue with anything, just try reading and verifying again.
    Last edited by RethoricalCheese; 02-16-2020, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I am on 1.1, trying the git version next.

After figuring out it indeed is a GigaDevice (thanks to that earlier flashrom ID) I found the datasheet, https://www.gigadevice.com/datasheet/gd25b256d/

It does look like a winbond compatible one right? Flashrom doesn't seem to support it directly,.

Nah I'm just blind, GigaDevice GD25Q256D 32768 SPI

Guess it's the damn SOIC8 clip and the slightly wider footprint the problem here.
      eeee: No wait, this is the 25B256, mb there's something fucky here after all?

moredits: https://github.com/flashrom/flashrom/issues/127

submitted an issue on github if anyone wants to help to dig into the datasheets and try to patch flashrom with me. Fun times!
      Last edited by aziztcf; 02-16-2020, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Okay fuck this chip footprint with a flagpole. I'm looking for a replacement with SOIC8/SOP8 package, any recommendations?
        Last edited by aziztcf; 02-28-2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aziztcf View Post
          So I got this zBook G5 i need to reset BIOS password for, and I can't seem to figure out what's the deal with the flash memories here. There's three chips, 25Q128JVSQ that my cheap ass ch341 reads just fine (16MB,EC I guess?) with SOIC8 clip, 25Q80CS1G ("TBT" 1MB) read ok too. No idea what that actually is!

But then there's and the actual BIOS labeled one.

25B256DY{I or 1}G which won't play nice with my clip thanks to the different footprint I guess. Also I can only find this chinese source for it, so I assume it's a drop in replacement for the 25Q256FVEH? I should be able to read it with flashrom&ch314 right? I'm kinda iffy on soldering to the chip, I'm going to desolder it next and see if I can get it to work that way but still I'd like to confirm that it is just a copy of the Winbond chippie. The TBT got ID'd as GigaDevice so I guess that's one of theirs too.

Tips+.bins appreciated
          Hi Mate, have truble to read the 25Q128JVSQ CHIP at all, get error message acces violation or I cannot even select on the List on programmer. Have CH341A with clip. can you please advise your selection and tool version pls. Thz 4 helping me out

Comment

Originally posted by Digit2k View Post
            Hi Mate, have truble to read the 25Q128JVSQ CHIP at all, get error message acces violation or I cannot even select on the List on programmer. Have CH341A with clip. can you please advise your selection and tool version pls. Thz 4 helping me out
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=10
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
            Become a Badcaps supporter
            >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
            Thanks to all supporters.​
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Thz, will try with that.

Comment

Working...
              X